Weird visual bug from update

So, I was running my game from a nightly build on Aug 25, 2011, and everything ran smoothly with FPS in the 2k range and everything. I switched it out with a recent nightly build, and now my basic hello tutorials almost don’t move with the “W A S D” because it’s so slow, and FPS never goes above 999, and my game does this weird thing where when my character stands there, it looks like he’s doing these bunny hops. Going around corners lags a bit.

I’m ok with using the older nightly build, but I’m curious if anyone knows what all this is caused from, or if maybe some of the code changed, and I should be using some new faster methods or something…

Thanks!

~Jeremy

Its the timer, the current beta will return a zero tpf at high framerates, the fix will be added to the stable in time. For now you can just add timer = new NanoTimer(); to your simpleInitApp

@normen said:
Its the timer, the current beta will return a zero tpf at high framerates, the fix will be added to the stable in time. For now you can just add timer = new NanoTimer(); to your simpleInitApp

No, that won't work (at least not completely). You have to call setTimer( new NanoTimer() ) in simple init.
1 Like

Ah, I see. ok cool. Is the setTimer() a SimpleApplication method?

It was added to Application before the last stable update (post beta).

Awesome! Well, that stopped the little bunny hopping. Looks like there’s still another issue with going around corners, or being pulled side to side randomly, but I’ll check over the rest of the code to make sure I didn’t mess something up.

Thanks

Hey, so I haven’t had a chance to touch my game until recently. I just added the nightly build from 2012-08-02, and I still get this weird shaky issue.

So my game is basically a first person shooter maze game. Right now the game is just a + used for a cross hair, some walls, and a floor. To create the walls I take this maze https://gist.github.com/3388961, and for each dash or pipe I just make a wall that has that orientation.

The issue that I run into is when I move forward in a long straight line, the “character” seems to shake side to side rapidly, and slowly move to the side. It makes the game feel real laggy, and not smooth at all. A friend of mine said it might be because I’m making too many objects at one time. So my questions are

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone? Could it be possible that there’s too many objects being created at one time? And if so, how do I fix that?

Thanks,

~Jeremy