What can be done in Android?

First off, I want to apologize for posting this, but my phone is only 1.5 and jme + Android Harness apps don’t run in the emulator. I’ve got the test working by compiling it and sending the .apk to a friend to see if it ran - and it did (eventually).

So, i am prepared to buy a more current phone, but obviously I won’t spend all that loot until I’m know how viable jme is. So, without further ado, can people please answer my question: -

Can I detect keys pressed such as the back key and the menu key?

Can I detect long presses of those keys?

Can I interface the swipe libraries?

Can I stop screen rotation, and screen turning off, etc?

Can I implement views into the jme activity; like interfacing scoreloop, skiller and such SDKs?

Can I put ad views in, like from admob, into the jme activity?

Is it wrong to do that as jmonkey is open source? (Have advertising I mean)

Can the jme activity not be the one that runs first? Like, I have a front menu activity that launches the jme as a sub-activity.

And finally, what applications are in the market now that I can look at?

Pretty sure that’s it! I know some of these are no brainers, but without a working test device I need to ask them first.

Thanks and sorry again.

jawfin said:
Can I detect keys pressed such as the back key and the menu key?
Yes

Can I detect long presses of those keys?
Theres LONGTAP for touch events, for keys you have to count the number of KEY_DOWNs

Can I interface the swipe libraries?
Don know

Can I stop screen rotation, and screen turning off, etc?
Yes

Can I implement views into the jme activity; like interfacing scoreloop, skiller and such SDKs?
Dont know

Can I put ad views in, like from admob, into the jme activity?
If you have the ad bitmap, yes

Is it wrong to do that as jmonkey is open source? (Have advertising I mean)
Not for me

Can the jme activity not be the one that runs first? Like, I have a front menu activity that launches the jme as a sub-activity.
Yes, look forward to the upcoming Beta1 android demo

And finally, what applications are in the market now that I can look at?

Thanks and sorry again.
Pleasure

:o Thanks so much for replying - I’ve been sweating on this. I’m happy to share what I learn too, as I do endeavour to create a marketable app. (I have apps out there already, using OpenGL, for instance https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jawfin.sol3d)

The advertising isn’t just a bitmap though, its a customised Android view. You need to add and import a .jar, create an activity for it in the manifest, then add it’s view to your layout.xml or dynamically create it and add it to the layout context. This has to be in the current activity - basically within the handler. I think its the same for skiller & scoreloop. If this can’t be done, it (and no offense) will cripple the use of jme in Android.

Side point: as far as I can tell, the adviews used by admob, millennial media, inmobi, mobfox etc are customised webviews - essentially an embedded web-browser that just shows the ad.

I can’t search the Market for 2.2 apps with my phone, I tried www.appbrain.com but could not find any applications stating that they were created by monkeys :stuck_out_tongue: (of course, they may well be there, just no credit given to jme). So anyone know of any apps which aren’t just demos?

Thanks for taking the time to reply :slight_smile:

Cheers Jonathan