What determines a Bloom filters shape?

Hello there, so I have added a bloom filter to a spell cast by a mage. This spell has a particle emitter and in addition is a sphere geometry. So without a bloom filter its perfectly circular and nice however i want to add bloom to make it a bit more visible.

This spell has:

-A sphere geometry
-A sphere collision shape for both rigid body control and ghost control
-The particle emitter is a spherical image

The problem is when i add a bloom filter it looks like a square where i want it to be a sphere. A good example is:https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:bloom_and_glow where oto is shooting a green ball but with bloom, i want something similar to that.

Sounds like maybe you have one of the bloom parameters turned up too much. A picture is worth a thousand words.

@pspeed said: Sounds like maybe you have one of the bloom parameters turned up too much. A picture is worth a thousand words.

This is what it looks like in the application, as you can see it has a spherical collision shape but the bloom is a cube:

Code:
[java]
Sphere ball = new Sphere(3, 3, 3);
sphere = new Geometry(“Spell”, ball);

Material mat = new Material(assetManager,
                        "Common/MatDefs/Misc/Particle.j3md");
                mat.setTexture("Texture", assetManager.loadTexture(
                        "Effects/flame.png"));
                mat.setColor("GlowColor",ColorRGBA.Green);
                //Bloom
                FilterPostProcessor fpp=new FilterPostProcessor(assetManager);
                BloomFilter bloom=new BloomFilter(BloomFilter.GlowMode.Objects);
                fpp.addFilter(bloom);
                game.getApp().getViewPort().addProcessor(fpp);

sphere.setMaterial(mat);
                setSpellCastHitBox(new GhostControl(new SphereCollisionShape(3f)));
                setSpellCastNode(new Node());
                spellCastPhysics = new RigidBodyControl(new SphereCollisionShape(3f));

sphere.setLocalScale(0.25f, 0.25f, 0.25f);
                spellCastEffect = new ParticleEmitter("Emitter", ParticleMesh.Type.Triangle, 60);
                spellCastEffect.setStartColor(ColorRGBA.Green);
                spellCastEffect.setEndColor(ColorRGBA.Green);
                spellCastEffect.setStartSize(3f);
                spellCastEffect.setEndSize(2.5f);
                spellCastEffect.setGravity(0, 0, 0);
                spellCastEffect.setHighLife(20f);
                spellCastEffect.setLowLife(1f);
                spellCastEffect.setImagesX(2);
                spellCastEffect.setImagesY(2);
                sphere.setLocalTranslation(game.getPlayer().getWorldTranslation().addLocal(0, 8, 0));
                spellCastEffect.setMaterial(mat);
                spellCastEffect.setNumParticles(100);
                spellCastEffect.setParticlesPerSec(100);
                sphere.addControl(getSpellCastPhysics());
                getSpellCastPhysics().setLinearVelocity(game.getApp().getCamera().getDirection().multLocal(new Vector3f(200, 10, 200)));
                sphere.addControl(getSpellCastHitBox());
                spellCastEffect.setInWorldSpace(false);
                spellCastEffect.setVelocityVariation(0.7f);
                getSpellCastNode().attachChild(sphere);
                spellEffectNode = new Node();
                getSpellEffectNode().attachChild(spellCastEffect);

[/java]

What does it look like without bloom? That’s a very odd shape.

Without bloom it looks how i want, a circular particle emitter:

That’s weird. I’ve never used the glow color stuff but maybe it isn’t rendering the particles correctly. I’ve never even looked at the object glow technique so I don’t know if there is something special about transparency or anything.

…maybe try a regular bloom not in object mode just to see if it produces the same shape or not.

@pspeed said: That's weird. I've never used the glow color stuff but maybe it isn't rendering the particles correctly. I've never even looked at the object glow technique so I don't know if there is something special about transparency or anything.

…maybe try a regular bloom not in object mode just to see if it produces the same shape or not.

Still produces the same shape, if i put the material as particle.j3md its a circle but any other materials (lighting,unshaded) or bloom it goes cube.

Alright i fixed it, it looks like particles and bloom are a no no. If i remove my particle emitter it becomes circular but adding it turns into a square.

You might want to simulate the glow of a particle inside the particle sprite.