What is that easiest 3D modelling tool?

Hey guys,

I'm busily working away at creating a simple multiplayer tank shooting game. It looks totally crap, doesn't work properly, has no sound and is very jumpy. I'm very pleased.

One of my many challenges is to start creating some 3D models. I know someone who is very competent artististically, but is smediocre on the IT side. I want to get them started on creating 3d models, and I don't know where to start. I do honestly beleive that Blender is NOT the place to start. It's a very very capable app, but man, is it confusing!

So, my question (finally) is: What's the easiest application for creating simple 3D models? I'm happy to spend a bit if necessary (preferably less than

Just consider PDS beta.  Project Dark Star has suffered continually, since its conception, from Sun's lack of dedication.  Some of the basic support claims which have been posted on their site for years have still not been realized.  For example, general workload-sharing and failover in a multi-server instance environment, and cooperation with app-specific databases.  The persistence design looks great, but in practice it provides no help for saving your app-specific data, and you have the additional responsibility of staying in sync with the PDS state data.  I know that these items are being actively worked, but there is no general (and pure Java) solution after many years of touting the automatic failover and persistence features.

One way to check how honest their claims are is to drill down to all of the great, professional quality apps that they say are using PDS.  Keep in mind that they have been touting all of these successes for years.

I do understand that some members here are from the PDS project, and they're welcome to offer different opinions.

I use 3ds Max … but it costs a few grand new!  :-o

If you can find a cheap copy* [dun dun dun  }:-@] then I'd recommend that. I'm not sure if my opinion is valid though as I was sent on a course in 3ds Max last year (through work) … so I'm not sure what it'd be like without tuition.

• I think that students can get a version <

The modeling tool I use is DeleD:

http://www.delgine.com/

I find it's really easy to use and navigate (I abhor Blender). There's a free Lite version (just lacks some advanced CSG and lightmapper options), and a 75$ PRO version. However that's old news now, just recently the two developers have decided to release the tool as open source come this January, so buying it wouldn't be recommended heh.

There's external JME support (either via an old tool you might be able to find on the forums + a newer version which is its own project that's extensible).

DeleD supports skeletal animation, although I never got around adding that support in the importer (though, eventually when I have the time I guess).

There are of course other options (e.g. milkshape), but honestly I always liked DeleD's interface and 3D navigation to be pretty good. As far as your wiki question goes…go for it, any addition to the wiki I think would be appreciated.

Actually I started with milkshape that was quite easy to use. Problem was to get the milkshape files in jME. That worked sometimes and sometimes not. I thought as you, that blender is too complicated but there was one day I said, I ahve to switch now. It would not be possible to go this step back. Blender is just great! And actually easy… (once you got familiar with it)

And now I say, what you don't want to here. Start directly with blender. Why learn one modeller if you know you will switch one time. AND for blender we have two working exporters (HottBJ / Ogre3d-xml) :smiley: AND there are so many very good tutorials. Let's hava look here:

This is a really good one. Starting without knowledge. Every keystroke is explained. I think this was my first also:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Your_First_Animation/1.A_static_Gingerbread_Man

And here is lots of stuff to read:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

To the darkstar-project: That sounds really interesting. No joke, I just looked today in Darkstar and JGN again and thought about what to use…(when it will be time). So if you have something to provide, you are very welcome!

You're getting good advice here.  Right now, the Blender+jME combo seems to be the most capable, but I'm hoping collada will make a comeback ^^

richard_hawkes said:

BTW, I have very basic (but working) example of JME/Darkstar integration. Would there be any benefit of me wiki-ing this and publishing it here somewhere? I know there's project Snowball, but I think that's pretty mature isn't it? What I have may be a good starting example for some.

Absolutely! That would be very much appreciated :)

Wow, some fantastic feedback here. This is exactly what I'm after:

Starnick said:
The modeling tool I use is DeleD:

I'll definitely check this out.

ttrocha said:
And now I say, what you don't want to hear. Start directly with blender.

I do hear you! Trouble is, it's not me using it, and I am pretty confident that she will not have the time to dedicate to learning the app, and may well be deterred by the complexity. I'm not sure I agree that you are learning two apps. I think a lot of the terms are transferable. But I will not rule this out.

blaine said:
Just consider PDS beta.

Thank you for this tip. My little experience so far is indicating very much what you are saying. The model itself is very lightweight, and I'm feeling there are some inconsistencies with the whole persistence approach. And the bloody thing throws an exception every time I start !

Thank you again... And I will start working on the JME/PDS wiki... How do I edit pages here?

I think you should use blender…tell yourself that OK ill take off 2-3 months or so to get to know this.

I promise you, once you get to know the interface and the shortcuts, you wouldnt want to try any other editor.

And dont be like some people who ragequits after 30 min after first obstacle…or the ones who want to create God Of War graphics in 2 days…no editor will never be good enough for them anyway.

Be patient, put everything else a side until you have learned this…this is a huge area and theres no way around it, it takes time to learn.

Id recommend using Blender, follow the tutorials on their site, or better and easier yet, follow the many tutorials on youtube.

Wings3D is great and fast to learn: http://www.wings3d.com/

I purchased the Essential Blender guide at the homepage of Blender. Within a week I could create a monsterhead and animate a stickfigure. Blender isn't that hard when you start following the right tutorials.

And as requested, here is the Wiki on my JME/Darkstar integration… Feeback badly need :wink:

http://code.google.com/p/jgcloud/wiki/DarkstarJMEIntegration

After starting with Blender, using MilkShape3D, and then going back to Blender… I would have to say that the few weeks of Blender tutorials it takes to get up to speed with the app is well worth the time.  Would I call it easy tho?  Not at first, but then again none of the other apps will be really easy either.  Perhaps aside of judging apps you should also determine if you want your modeler/artist to develop into something more than just a box and simple-shape maker.  If so, go with Blender or one of the other more professional apps that offer their power to users who make a commitment to them; otherwise, have them use MilkShape3D, Wings, or SketchUp.

I actually think Milkshape's a really good tool for general use. It often does a better job than much bigger commercial apps of just importing something and showing it, animating it etc. Simple tweaks are usually simple, it handles animation comfortably and you can import to jME fairly easily.

I would not say it's a good choice for an artist to create from scratch with, though. And the jME ms3D importer is archaic and not really adequate for any serious animated work, so you might end up going through an intermediate format.

Blender is a powerful tool and comparatively good support in jME is a very significant thing. You can not only do your modelling, and animation but also things like lightmap baking. On the other hand, some people will quite simply be switched off to it within minutes. Unless you're really confident in their commitment, that's a big gamble. Telling someone how fast their workflow could be is no good when they just tore their hair out.

Sketchup is just not a good choice for game modelling.

Possibly take a look at Hexagon, which is pretty good just for modelling and texturing. There's also Cheetah on the Mac, which can do most things at a reasonable price. Carrara is even OK for modelling now though not targetted at game modelling - it can do nice skies though although no lightmaps. There are a few other options I've seen recently at the low end but haven't actually tried.

Ultimately you might have to come back to Blender to pull it altogether, since you know it can fill in any gaps and has good jME integration. But you might prefer to keep your artist sweet with a more friendly tool!

The next version of Blender should have a much more friendly userinterface though.

Do you lot work for the Blender Foundation :wink:

OK, I get the point and I will attempt to get her in place with the correct tutorials and documentation. I do have a "Blender for Dummies" book… IMHO it's quite dry, despite it's efforts to be funny.

Thanks for all of your advice.

richard_hawkes said:

Do you lot work for the Blender Foundation ;)

OK, I get the point and I will attempt to get her in place with the correct tutorials and documentation. I do have a "Blender for Dummies" book... IMHO it's quite dry, despite it's efforts to be funny.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Try some youtube video tutorials first, it's often easier.

I agree that Blender has the best features, but at the same time it's hardest to learn. It's worth it though.

Here a few tips that get you started reasonably quick (don't mind the desperate sarcasm that is necessary to survive the Blender mentality) http://ruthless.zathras.de/facts/apps/polygonesia/blender.php

Seriously, Blender should win a price for breaking ALL usability guidelines and still being able to keep a strong userbase… wtf :smiley:

When I just need a basic outline of an object done "quick and dirty" (to see whether the proportions fit), I sometimes use ArtOfIllusion. It's platform independent, it's utterly idiot proof, and it can export to at least one format that Blender can import (OBJ?). Then I use Blender for the details, animation, texture, materials etc.

Basically I only use Blender when I'm wide awake and motivated. When I'm annoyed and tired I use ArtOfIllusion because then I can't break anything.  :wink:

zathras said:

I agree that Blender has the best features, but at the same time it's hardest to learn. It's worth it though.

Here a few tips that get you started reasonably quick (don't mind the desperate sarcasm that is necessary to survive the Blender mentality) http://ruthless.zathras.de/facts/apps/polygonesia/blender.php

Seriously, Blender should win a price for breaking ALL usability guidelines and still being able to keep a strong userbase... wtf :D

When I just need a basic outline of an object done "quick and dirty" (to see whether the proportions fit), I sometimes use ArtOfIllusion. It's platform independent, it's utterly idiot proof, and it can export to at least one format that Blender can import (OBJ?). Then I use Blender for the details, animation, texture, materials etc.

Basically I only use Blender when I'm wide awake and motivated. When I'm annoyed and tired I use ArtOfIllusion because then I can't break anything.  ;)

Probably the same people who get a thrill at using a linux command line to do everything, including text editing :P
Starnick said:

Probably the same people who get a thrill at using a linux command line to do everything, including text editing :P

What's wrong with making your mouse obsolete and jamming long, hard to understand, commands 24/7?  :(

;)