What is the purpose of this?

Absolutely, but he was told several times that he need to learn the programming language first and he kept insisting that all he needs is to know what (Node) means in a piece of code that is written in a language he does not understand. Politeness only goes so far in this use case.

EDIT: As for my funny sarcastic remark about the warning popup on install … you do realize that was sarcasm correct? :slight_smile:

1 Like

…speaking of popups, I’d better add one about linear algebra… (TS, you may consider this a hint)

1 Like

He’s trying to learn the language by looking at real examples of it in use. For some people that can be a highly effective way to learn (speaking from experience). I do not believe that I saw him insisting that all he needed was someone to explain a typecast in this case, I believe that I saw him trying to understand typecasts by looking at an actual example of one in use. There’s a big difference between asking someone to explain something out of laziness and to avoid learning and asking for help in understanding an example for the purpose of learning. He wants to learn Java, and he finds that he learns best by observing “real world” examples as opposed to textbook explanations. Granted, he’s not going to be making the next great jME game without a lot more Java knowledge and experience, but that’s not his stated goal. I, for one, am all for people finding fun ways to learn new things. If someone is gutsy and ambitious enough to tackle studying working examples of a game engine in order to help themselves learn, I see no reason why that person should be harassed for not knowing the language enough to make good use of the engine.

@Aeryes, welcome aboard! Keep up the hard work. Java is a great language to learn, and an incredibly practical one if you work in the tech industry. Once you have enough Java knowledge to take on a game development project, maybe we’ll get to see some screenshots?

3 Likes

@danielp made a point. Indeed, I doubt anybody knows ALL the differences between, say, Java and C++ (besides syntax ofc), and I doubt anybody would need to, actually. In modern world, a new language/technology appears before you master previous so well to name yourself guru. Plus, your old technology - if it’s still alive - improves at the same time, so you can’t cope with everything having just 24 hours in a day. Aside from this particular case, learning by example looks the only way if you want to come up with something in reasonable time. Non-optimal solution (in terms of game, not nuclear power plant, of course) is better than no solution, regardless of how many thick books you’ve read and how many times…

1 Like

I don’t really get this guys, just looked like a jokey comment without any maliciousness behind it. At least he is on the right path now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This escalated quickly. I guess all that I can say here is not everyone will learn the way you learn. I find it easier to use a practical example to solve a simple problem !!

Do I claim to know java? No. Do I claim to know ALL of the basic concepts? No. But what I am doing is a lot more than what others have done. I love programming and I really want to learn it. I’ve gone through all of thenewbostons videos as well as reading java for dummies. I’ve made simple string calculators and randomized number games based through text and simple 2d graphics. Now I’d like to learn more by expanding my knowledge through game engine problems and visually seeing the solutions. Then, line by line I learn to read and understand what the code says, followed by a rewriting of said code by myself:)

I’m trying to learn the way that works for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lets all be friends and move on. I’m sure there is nothing else to be said that hasn’t already been said.

5 Likes