What modeller do you use?

Hi, I am new and have been trying to learn jME for a little bit. I seem to have run into a problem. I have been trying to import a simple model into SimpleGame. The problem is I want to have a block with a texture from a bmp. I created it in Blender and exported it to OBJ. The model looks ok, except the texture does not show up at all.

I have tried several different programs and several converters (Blender, Maya, Wings3d, Milkshape, 3d Exploration, etc). From reading some of the posts here, it seems most here don’t use/like Blender. What modeller do people use to create static models with image textures to import to jME?

I use milkshape since it’s free and relatively easy to use for a non artsy person such as myself.

"shochu" wrote:
I use milkshape since it's free and relatively easy to use for a non artsy person such as myself.

Milkshape is Shareware. After a trial period of 30 days it should be registered and the registration fee is 25$ or 25EUR afaik.
"batman.ac" wrote:
"shochu" wrote:
I use milkshape since it's free and relatively easy to use for a non artsy person such as myself.

Milkshape is Shareware. After a trial period of 30 days it should be registered and the registration fee is 25$ or 25EUR afaik.

Yeah, something free would be nice.

wings as modeller, blender as animator. That’s been my combo for some moths and works well.

You could model it all in blender, too.

wings + blender + gimp for texture painting but i’m far from being a pro :frowning:

this are the best choices on linux i ran into so far.

i remember having troubles with this too - solution was the texture - file not being in a spot where the classloader searched for it.

hth

Martin

well, in windows there are way many other modellers. And much easier animation solutions, like gmax (for free, and I know of an md5 exporter, in the case this format arrives one day to jME) , or the very easy and quite good character fx (15$).

metasequoia le is a modeller ppl tend to find easy and powerful too…i recommend it too…

The blender ui is the hardest to learn of all…

Wings3d is not very …usual, but is quite easier to learn.

Modellers:

Metasequoia LE (free for non comercial projects)This oen is probably the easier, and one of the most powerful of all :

http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~mizno/main_e.html

Wings3d (free for all)

www.wings3d.com

Uv mappers :

Uv mapper classic, free but too limited(the pro is 50$):

www.uvmapper.com

Lithunwrap. Extremely good. And the comercial version is simply the best tool out there for uv mapping, hundreds time better than lithunwrap.it’s called Ultimate Unwrap : www.unwrap3d.com Anyway, Lithunwrap is much better than uvmapper classic.

http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=198

Animation:

I recommend Character Fx if searching for a free and easy tool that exports to several game formats :

www.insanesoftware.de

This combo is much easier than Blender.

Still, I keep recommending Gimp for windows for texture and 2d work for the games.