What projects use MD5 format and which importer?

I am curious to know if there are any projects out there using MD5 format and which importer they use.

• kman's MD5 Loader (jme-contrib)

• MD5 Reader 2

• neakor's MD5 Importer

• self made/custom importer

well as you know I still strongly support the old stuff, but neakor's has great potential in my IMHO, just have to wrap my head around it a bit . I have been using the older stuff on a school project and I am starting to grasp bits and pieces of the animation system.

If neakor will actually start to collaborate with us, soon his importer stuff will be integrated in the MD5 Reader 2 Refactor. He offered to join us before to code his MD5 Importer and I welcome him, of course. Though he has still not provided any code for MD5 Reader 2 Refactor and, at the current state, I am asking him to produce a proposal documentation for integration in MD5 Reader 2 Refactor. Some of the refactor structure, that I implemented, is already available under md5reader2.org package and there are documentation under wiki about development plans. MD5 Importer and MD5 Reader 2 Refactor code are really similar in structure. Though I am waiting the document from neakor to produce a road map for future implementation.

This just to make clear, once more, the current situation. Though I do not know what will happen in the future. Till now, neakor behaved in a way that he was not actually collaborating to complete MD5 Reader 2 Refactor. This attitude took us "on the hip", I did not expect it would happened. At the beginning I hoped that he would have continued to work starting from the MD5 Reader 2 Refactor source code and following project guidelines. He, instead, tried the way of implementing using jME bone system, even if I advised him that there are feasibility problems with that approach. At the end he encountered that problems and has been obbligated to implement custom bone/animation system. So, currently, MD5 Importer is really close to be like the MD5 Reader 2 Refactor would be, but it is not actually MD5 Reader 2 Refactor.

I know that neakor has been great in implementing it, though, I think he wasted the efforts of all of us working on his separate rail.

http://javacrpg.sf.net - MD5 Reader 2 - only way to use animated rigged models of blender I know of – so keep up the good work on md5reader2 :slight_smile:

Great! I saw your work. It is amazing. In particular I love the way vegetation appears. It gives a very realistic feeling to the environment.

Hi,

For now, we are using neakor's MD5 Importer because the kman's loader didn't work for ours animations.

Our project is currently not visible (soon I hope), that's why I can't show you it.

Thanks for your work to re-write all MD5 importer

im kind curious, how many users r actually taking the extra feature advantages of md5importer. such as jme savable and dependent child. my artists really liked the new dependent child feature :smiley:

neakor said:

im kind curious, how many users r actually taking the extra feature advantages of md5importer. such as jme savable and dependent child. my artists really liked the new dependent child feature :D

Can you give a hint a link or an example what this is good for?
timong said:

neakor said:

im kind curious, how many users r actually taking the extra feature advantages of md5importer. such as jme savable and dependent child. my artists really liked the new dependent child feature :D

Can you give a hint a link or an example what this is good for?

i have a pretty good explanation in the md5importer post. and its also on the google code page.

code.google.com/p/md5importer

basically it simplifies ur life when creating and importing character armors, weapons and all the parts.

Thanx for the quick reply! I hope you guys will put together a nice merge in the new md5reader refactor! I'll be eager to use this dependent thingy when jcrpg gets there it surely will be in need of it! :slight_smile:

timong said:

Thanx for the quick reply! I hope you guys will put together a nice merge in the new md5reader refactor! I'll be eager to use this dependent thingy when jcrpg gets there it surely will be in need of it! :)

i hope ull like it. at least my artists love it  :D

about the merge, thats entirely up to ender. i dont know how much code he's using from my version. but ill sure try to make that happen on my side.
neakor said:

timong said:

Thanx for the quick reply! I hope you guys will put together a nice merge in the new md5reader refactor! I'll be eager to use this dependent thingy when jcrpg gets there it surely will be in need of it! :)

about the merge, thats entirely up to ender. i dont know how much code he's using from my version. but ill sure try to make that happen on my side.

There is not any single line of code from neakor's MD5 Importer in the MD5 Reader Refactor till now, and onestly I do not thing I will ever use any code from neakor's MD5 Importer. There are several reasons at the base of this decision. But if I explained them here I would go OT.
What I can say is that: a) neakor is anymore a member of the MD5 Reader team (looking around my posts in this thread and MD5 related threads, you can get an idea of the reasons); b) to complete MD5 Reader Refactor is only a matter of time. I try to take any cent of time I have to continue the development and basically I already know how to do it, I only have to find some more time to write down the code; c) if I will get a well designed code, implementing extra features will be really easy, and MD5 Reader Refactor is already concepted as a well designed code.