What version of GLSL is jME3 running?

Hope this isn’t in an obvious place and I missed it.

What version of GLSL is jME3 running?

Lol, your cards driver has the GLSL version ^^

omg I’m such a noob…

I thought it was the other way around.

And it makes more sense since the GLSL is the drivers between openGL and the hardware, right?

@kotoko said:
And it makes more sense since the GLSL is the drivers between openGL and the hardware, right?

Exactly, thats whats being used to harness the power of the GPU and it supports that in a certain version, I think we need 1.5 minimum or so, that whats in the OpenGL2.0 spec.

I’m running JME on a machine which only has GLSL 1.5 - many of the effects work (like simple water) but some others don’t. It might be the version of the Beta I am running though…

@ags1 said:
I'm running JME on a machine which only has GLSL 1.5 - many of the effects work (like simple water) but some others don't. It might be the version of the Beta I am running though...

Telling us which ones work is not as helpful as telling us which ones don't.

Actually we need GLSL 1.0 minimum (which was introduced in opengl 2.0). GLSL 1.5 matches opengl 3.0 version if i recall correctly

1 Like
@pspeed said:
Telling us which ones work is not as helpful as telling us which ones don't.

Sorry! The demos in jme3test.post all fail for me (at least the ones I've tried). I would give precise details on the build I am running but I can't find this information.

I get messages like this (from TestPostFilters):

INFO: Uniform g_CameraPosition is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].
Jun 12, 2012 8:50:51 PM com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer updateUniformLocation
INFO: Uniform g_WorldMatrix is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].
Jun 12, 2012 8:50:51 PM com.jme3.renderer.lwjgl.LwjglRenderer updateUniformLocation
INFO: Uniform m_ParallaxHeight is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].
INFO: Uniform m_UseMaterialColors is not declared in shader [ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.vert, defines, type=Vertex], ShaderSource[name=Common/MatDefs/Light/Lighting.frag, defines, type=Fragment]].
Java Result: -805306369

What does “fail” mean? What you posted are not errors, they are INFOs.

Crashes. System locks up completely - that sort of thing. Is there an error log I can send in?

It wasn’t my intention to hijack the thread. What I was trying to say was a lot of JME runs well even on an ancient laptop like mine. Only the more advanced stuff (like the more advanced water samples, or everything in post) fail to run, ending in crashes. I’m going to try edit down those samples to get them to run on my machine - my game is called Fog, so you can guess which effect I need to get working.

@ags1 said:
System locks up completely

System lock up is a system problem, not jME3 problem.

Generally you can fix these kinds of issues by updating your graphics card drivers.

If you can’t get fog post effects working you can do it in the material yourself. It’s a fairly simple change to the shaders. The downside is that you need to do it in every material/shader you use…rather than post processed fog which does it for the whole scene.

I got fog working - I think the problem with that sample was some http calls in the sample to googlecode hitting my firewall - nothing to do with the shaders at all. I’m interested in the own shader approach as I want my fog to be wispy and insidious, but I have to learn to sink before i can swim. Or something :slight_smile:

As you say…

He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.
Friedrich Nietzsche