Whatever.setText(integer?); Drawing an integer with a BitmapText?

Hi forum (again),

Glaucomardano, If you do read this, you might be impressed! :slight_smile:

Last time you saw me, you were probably quite frustrated, however, this is not a learning-java related problem :smiley:

I am just wondering how to draw an integer on the screen with a BitmapText. I want to have an integer for ammo, and when you click the ammo goes down (the second part with ammo going down I can do). I have set up my int object (glaucomardano :D)

[java] public int ammoObj=2; [/java]

And am stumped as to where to go next.

Any pointers?

Live long, and prosper.

As always, the manual: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:hud Its not like you’re the first who wants to do all this so for such basic stuff you are almost 100% safe to find the topic explained in the manual.

@javagame said:however, this is not a learning-java related problem :D

Its still a learning-java related problem
[java]whatever.setText(String.valueOf(ammObj));[/java]
1 Like

Ah, you can also simply combine it with another string: setText("Ammo: "+ammObj);

1 Like

Or, if you only want the value displayed (without any other text): setText(""+ammoObj);

Lol. Just saw this topic now.

Glaucomardano, If you do read this, you might be impressed!
Last time you saw me, you were probably quite frustrated, however, this is not a learning-java related problem

yes I'm :).

I have set up my int object (glaucomardano )

public int ammoObj=2;

Oh. Cool!!! Btw encapsulate your variables, the "public" access modifier is hardly ever used ;). Btw I laugh when I saw this topic xD.

[java]
whatever.setText(ammObj+"");
[/java]

[java]whatever.setText(String.valueOf(ammObj));[/java]

just explicitly typecast the variable to string and you should be good to go :slight_smile:

@bongmonkey said:
[java]whatever.setText((String)ammoObj)[/java]

just explicitly typecast the variable to string and you should be good to go :)

At best, I'd expect a ClassCastException of some kind. An integer is not a string and so can't be cast to one.