What's next for jME?

So jME is now completely in the hands of the community, members fix bugs and add minor features to the engine. However there’s no major feature additions or core changes, since there’s no main party or person in charge of the source code. People are complaining about various quirks (e.g some features just don’t work together, no real art path), these are problems that cannot be simply fixed with a patch, but rather a large change to the core. These issues will probably never get fixed.

Are there plans by the moderators/admins to address these issues or improve jME in the future? If not, then I propose my own engine (codenamed Gorilla3D) to be adopted. The engine has been designed from ground up to avoid these problems, it is no longer a test or an experiment and I believe it can become a capable product once it has been worked on further.

If my new engine fails to draw enough attention from prospective (sufficiently competent) developers here, I will most likely follow the same path as Ardor3D, and start something of my own.

what is your plan for adopting your work?

I guess create a 3.0 branch / and 3.0 wiki section?

Currently there is quite a lot activity in jme2.

• wonderland improving the jogl implementation
  • blaine working on blender and ogre import
  • other various additions and fixes like the new applets coming from the contribution depot

my thing is this, if we are to considering moving forward to a jme3 that is decidedly "next gen" then consideration must be given to the fact that alot of hardware will be be left behind mine included, and as such a fear bit of warning should be given and jme2 remain parallel to it for a while still, especially since, as has been mentioned above, there are very lively attempts to build  "arround" jme2, apart whats already mentioned, there are third party tools that have been showcased and such, and should be given an opportunity to see the light of day.

apart from that, and maybe I'm wrong, but u haven't exactly sort to engender a spirit of community or cooperation into your efforts, it has  been pretty much "this is the way I see it and thats that" kind of vibe from the outset, kinda cold…jme was many things but never cold…then add what feels like a threat of some sort well…

Core-Dump said:

what is your plan for adopting your work?

I guess create a 3.0 branch / and 3.0 wiki section?

I already have my own branch on the GoogleCode project, and I can change it's name if needed. I can also edit the wiki (although it wouldn't be useful as it is too early to have persistent documentation). What I really hope for is a dedicated board on the forum.

mcbeth said:

if we are to considering moving forward to a jme3 that is decidedly "next gen" then consideration must be given to the fact that alot of hardware will be be left behind mine included

I take back what I said that such an engine will require powerful hardware. Now that I have completed the renderer portion I see that the main requirement is OpenGL2, with support of advanced DX10/GL3 features on compatible hardware. That means you should be able to run jME3 any cards supporting Pixel Shader 2.0, that includes GeForce 5200, Radeon 9550/9600/X300 and later cards. Additionally, the engine supports a pluggable renderer architecture (similar to jME1/2), which would allow writing a renderer that doesn't use shaders and thus supports virtually all video cards.

mcbeth said:
jme2 remain parallel to it for a while still, especially since as has been mentioned there are very lively attempts to build "arround" jme2, apart that already mentioned there are third party tools that have been showcased and such, and should be given an opportunity to see the light of day.

Yeah, jME2 should still be supported. Although jME3 has progressed a lot, it is still not complete and is not usable for an actual product at this point.

mcbeth said:
apart from that, and maybe I'm wrong, but u haven't exactly sort engender a spirit of community or cooperation into your effort, it has  been pretty much "this is the way I see it and thats that" kind of vibe from the outset, kinda cold............jme was many things but never cold...........then add what feels like a threat of some sort well......................

It is not easy to gain community support, I have only made two threads so far on the forum and people seem satisfied with what they see (project, showcase). Obviously when there's more to show then there will be more support. Sometimes I argue against feedback given on my work, however that's because I want to make sure that these suggestions are feasible, not because I am completely against them.
For example, people have many times argued against having singletons in the engine, after some thinking I decided not having them and now there are no singletons. :)