Where is the doc

Where are the normal documentation and tutorials??

JME is Cool i seen an every test code It can do so lot of things BUT there is no Doc. What is the right way to do stuff in JME.

I have been caomming back to JME for a while to see if wiki page has been updated but all i see is almost the same stuff as year back.

I seen topic someone saying something about ogre3d books an so ( It ended bad)  in ogre3d i got player waking over terrine in an 1  hour  with mouse, animation and everything( I am c++ noob). And that not because it is a better engine but because they got a few cool tutorials how to do standard stuff.

I don't mean this bad but it looks like user guide has stopped somewhere in middle and left there.

I don't blame anyone or so.

I realy like JME i have shown it to few of my friends they liked it too what it can do but then they ask are they any good tutorials and so

I am just interesting what is plan about tutorial and docs

well to start, at the “low level”, there is the javadoc

Then there’s the wiki which has things like the flagrush tutorial

And most helpfully, there are the actual tests in the jmetest package of the jME source code.  When you run testchooser, there are a ton of different demos of features in the engine with the source code sitting close by to back it up :slight_smile:

Finally, there’s this forum for when you get stuck, want to contribute to the engine, or just want to show off something cool!!  We pride ourselves on being a helpful place, so please play around and check out all the code snippets you can…  Curiosity’s a great way to learn

One problem is, that no one is responsible to keep the wiki or docs up-to-date.

jME is a great community project where everyone who wants to contribute can get involved easily. so if anyone wants to help. cleaning up the wiki would be a good start :slight_smile:

A problem is also, that the wiki contains jme1 and 2 style code which can be confusing.

That said, i think the jme's source code is the best documentation.

JavaDoc is cool i was more thinking in way of tutorials how to do stuff and way it is done that way and not any other way. Maybe some preformace tutorials how to get best preformace and what IS WRONG TO DO. I seen some porject on this page and I am thinking Daam that's cool but when i try to assemble scene like that my preformace drops like hell.

thx for fast reply.

Unfortunately working on a 3D game is a very challenging task. You need to know a bit about a bunch of things. General programming, optimization, be aware of bottlenecks on your algorithms, and the such. If you have code that is inefficient, it will make your game inefficient regardless of the engine.

On the other hand, you also need to know a fair bit about 3D graphics. Things like OpenGL, or common techniques like culling, model bounds, even quad-trees and the such, that are not really part of any tutorial on game engines, but a general set of topics for 3D programming.

In the end, the documentation in jME cannot possibly cover all of these aspects. They are just too many! Sites like NeHe or Gamasutra  deal with a whole bunch of tutorials and info that is not very specific of any engine and could help you get a better idea of what to do and what to avoid.

That said, I agree with Core-Dump to heart. If you want to know how to do something, take a peek at the code that you know it does what you like. Opefully with the finishing of several games by the community, some game tutorials could be released to help others in need. 

One of my most ambitious goals for jME (which translates to “faaar off there”) is to put together a solid piece of documentation aimed at front-end developers such as myself. From top to bottom, it should take you (and me…) through the process of making a game with jME, without any such thing as source programming, but only using all of jME’s available tools together with necessary scripting and straight forward tweak-programming.

Before any such addition though, I am hoping the documentation will see vast improvements in other areas, and I am working on it. The idea of a JMonkey Book is also certainly an intriguing one.

erlend_sh said:

One of my most ambitious goals for jME (which translates to "faaar off there") is to put together a solid piece of documentation aimed at front-end developers such as myself. From top to bottom, it should take you (and me...) through the process of making a game with jME, without any such thing as source programming, but only using all of jME's available tools together with necessary scripting and straight forward tweak-programming.

Before any such addition though, I am hoping the documentation will see vast improvements in other areas, and I am working on it. The idea of a JMonkey Book is also certainly an intriguing one.

aye, it's all about the pursuit of usability..  having the option to work in a purely GUI environment is a nice one :)  As I believe has been mentioned in the book thread, it's kind of tough to write a book on an engine in development such as this one...  Workarounds needed for bugs today may not be needed tomorrow, and vice-versa regarding possible regressions.  The great thing about a wiki though is that it's essentially a collaborative book and kind of takes form on its own.