Where to implement radial menu

Our interface design is based around heavy use of a radial menu. And I just sat down today to start writing it. But, lo and behold, I have no idea where to stick this thing.

It’s a context menu, with constantly changing actions/values available. So, NiftyGUI seems like a very cumbersome place to put it, since I pretty much can’t define any of the menu ahead of time in XML. And Nifty seems particularly ill-suited to dynamic creation of controls.

Upon realizing how tedious it would be to build XML dynamically just to load a GUI element, I just figured “screw it”, and went to start building it as a node for the GUI queue directly in JME. Except, I’ve now discovered that somewhere between when I used JME2 a couple years ago, and now, y’all have dropped vector-based font support!

So, where should I shoehorn in my radial menu?

I don’t understand how the lack of vector fonts prevents implementation of a radial menu?

Also nifty does support dynamic updating of GUI’s loaded from XML templates and also redesigning the screen completely.

As of about 2 weeks ago, there is a Menu element in nifty, allowing you to add items on the fly. With some tweaking, you might be able to turn it into a radial menu.

Check out the examples jar for some guidance