Where to start?

I have a little knowledge in Java Language and I like to develop 2D RPG

I’m actually newbie to the game development, I don’t know where to start…

Well, if you want to use jME, you should start from the documentation section of this website.

And the most important you should first “develop” your game at the paper, writing all your future game concepts, logic, scenario, characters, items, world, etc… Only then it’s logical to start coding.

Hello! First of all, I would like to congratulate you for this very cool engine.

I am taking advantage of this thread to post my problem:D. I am planning to develop a Civilization like game, a tbs.

My first dilemma is that I don’t know how to implement the game logic. I’ve read some posts that were in tune with my ideas, that of combining visual logic with game logic( I was thinking of a “Unit” class with a Node member for graphics, a class “Engine” with references in a array towards units etc).

My second issue is that I don’t know how to calculate the resources used, because I want to deploy this game in an applet, and I think the ram memory limit is about 64 MB.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work! Nice site btw.(I am web programmer also:D)

Well to biggest part is normally the models and textures, so if you keep them low and leave like 10-15 mb for the rest it should work.

The logic itself can be done in several ways.

I have a large HashMap with networkid to Entity, a entity itself has a update and other logic stuff and a visible Node as a field,. It handels removing attaching that one automatically with the use of a activate and a remove method.

However I strongly suggest to start with something a bit more simple for the beginning.

How about a singleplayer Towerdefence?

It will help you avoid critical design errors and similar, and maybe safe you from completly restarting the project. (As i had to do :confused: the first version was just to fucked up designed)

Thanks for the quick response and for the news about the applet memory. It could work.

I want to start with Tetris → Arcanoid(ball breaking blocks, similar to pong) → Pacman → Mario. Then I want to get started on my tbs. It’s a dream of mine :D, to create a good game. I’m doing it just for fun.