Which Device Platform Would You Recommend for My New jME3 Project?

Hello,

I wrote this post once already but it became a novel so I’m starting over with just the essentials. My situation is as follows.

I have a decent amount of experience developing in jME2 and currently use it to conduct academic research. I am preparing for a new study that will require my participants to play two separate “games” (using the term loosely) at the same time: my jME2 project which powers a driving simulator (three displays, steering wheel + pedals, car seat, etc) and a second TBD project that will run on a completely separate, more compact device mounted near the driver’s seat.

Because I need to create an entirely new project, I’d like to take the opportunity to try my hand at learning jME3 and using that instead of jME2. I’m very out of the loop with jME3 though so I’m hoping I can get some advice on what sort of device I should use for the project (and which are supported).

I am probably limited to the following choices: a raspberry pi with a touchscreen, an android mobile phone or android tablet, or a laptop. The laptop would be easiest as I’d only have to learn jME3 and not a new platform but I’m concerned that it will take up too much real-estate. The other options would be much easier to integrate in my physical setup as they are smaller, however, I’m concerned about the challenges of handling touchscreen input as I’ve never dealt with that.

If anyone can offer any insight, I’d much appreciate it.

Thank you.

Hey @scraggly,
JME3 offers you all you need. You can deploy your project for desktop as well as for android. Touch input can be handled very easily.
To learn how all this works have a look in the wiki. Go through all beginner tutorials and after that research wiki entries which might help you to solve your specific problem(s).

Greetings,
Domenic

Regarding touch input on android: JME3 has nice mouse input simulation there, so as long you don’t need multitouch support, you can just regard it being a mouse (MouseButtonTrigger, MouseAxisTrigger… all work).

You don’t need to know the android platform too much to deploy a JME3 game on it. Only the basics.
Raspberry pi is a problem IMO as you won’t have that much graphic power under the hood.
As other said JME translate touch inputs into mouse input if you want, but there is also a TouchEvent system that is very close to all other inputs in JME that works on any platform supporting touch inputs.

TBH, if in your choices you can afford to have a laptop… go for it. Even last intel integrated cards are not so bad these days, and you’ll be able to use the full potential of JME3. Make sure that the card supports opengl2 at least though, and don’t use an old spare laptop that you keep in a closet in case of :stuck_out_tongue: else my statement is wrong and you should use android.

That system is very amazing and easy to work with, but just for handling clicks it is not needed and just complicates things a bit. Except if you want multitouch support, then TouchEvent system is the way to go.

Or if you are just using the touch events to interact with spatials, you can borrow Lemur’s pick handling which seamlessly handles mouse or touch events, including multitouch… without the listeners needing to care one way or the other.

I like, how you propagate your libraries to the community all the time :wink:

Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not… but getting multitouch working can be quite tricky. We spent some decent effort getting it right in Lemur so that others don’t have to worry about it.

…and in the end, that’s what these libraries are there for.

No, it’s all fine! I really like it that you provide libraries, because I believe that without those contributions from you, nehon, normen etc. jMonkeyEngine wouldn’t be there where it is now!

I didn’t want to seem unpolite or something like that! I like all of you :heart: