Which IDE do you use?

I’m just wondering because it can make a difference on how easily people work and interact with others, and CVS.

I’m thinking about creating some tutorials for the developer types for working with CVS to handle branching/tagging. I’m assuming that most people use Eclipse like I do, but there’s no telling for sure. My tutorials would be directed in that direction.

On the other hand, if everyone that actually contributes code knows how to work with CVS… or wouldn’t gain from a tutorial in Eclipse. I’ll spend my time elsewhere.

drools IDEA. Love this IDE, have for quite a while. It’s not free (well, can be, but bleeding edge only), as a matter of fact, it’s quite expensive, but worth every penny IMHO. I keep trying to find the love for Eclipse, I want to like it, but just can’t seem to drum it up.

$0.02,

G

P.S. I’m primarily a J2EE (JBoss) guy at the moment, just to give a little perspective.

drools IDEA. Love this IDE, have for quite a while. It’s not free (well, can be, but bleeding edge only), as a matter of fact, it’s quite expensive, but worth every penny IMHO. I keep trying to find the love for Eclipse, I want to like it, but just can’t seem to drum it up.

$0.02,

G

P.S. I’m primarily a J2EE (JBoss) guy at the moment, just to give a little perspective.

P.P.S I’ve been using CVS for years, but I’m way too green to be developing for JME, so none of this really matters ; )

I use NetBeans. It is a good ide except for the fact that it crashes constantly. I suspect the garbage collector but this is just a hunch. I looked at Eclipse awhile ago and I think that NetBeans is much more helpful.

"gander" wrote:
P.S. I'm primarily a J2EE (JBoss) guy at the moment, just to give a little perspective.

Funny, me too... ever seen the JBoss-IDE Eclipse plugin, made by the JBoss people? :D
"Badmi" wrote:
I use NetBeans. It is a good ide except for the fact that it crashes constantly. I suspect the garbage collector but this is just a hunch. I looked at Eclipse awhile ago and I think that NetBeans is much more helpful.

I'm sure with J2SE 5.0 you'll find Netbeans a lot more palitable. Do you use the CVS interface?

Hey... to be quite honest, depending on what kind of applcations people work on most all the above IDEs have thier plus and minuses. I'm a firm believer in the right tool for the right job. I don't do swing applications or java beans so Netbeans wasn't a must for me.
"guurk" wrote:
Funny, me too... ever seen the JBoss-IDE Eclipse plugin, made by the JBoss people? :D

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I keep looking at Eclipse. But there's a great jboss plugin out there for IDEA right now that's doing everything we needed. Previous to that we were doing mostly xdoclet (sort of, was using xdoclet to create xml, but not classes).

G

EditPlus (http://www.editplus.com/)…

A small but powerful software… And so fast…

Chman

"guurk" wrote:
I don't do swing applications or java beans so Netbeans wasn't a must for me.
I do swing apps, but I still do not use NetBeans, if I can prevent it. When I tried Eclipse for the first time, I was... delighted. I know that NetBeans has grown a lot recently - must try it again some time.

BTW: for quite a long time I was using Emacs with JDE. I know quite a lot of people using this combination. But Eclipse offered way more control over the code base. It really boosted code quality throughout the whole team.

I’m using NetBeans,

@Badmi : i’m surprised that your NetBeans has a lot of crashes, mine had very few crashes (and i’m using NetBeans a lot ;))

bye,

Adenthar.

NetBeans is also rock stable for me

( using 3.6 for awhile now on linux and win )

responsitivity and cvs integration is alot better than in previous versions btw.

@ Badmi: what do you do to crash it ?

Same here… a rock stable NetBeans 3.6. I’ve had a few exceptions but no crashes ever. And that’s running it daily for everything between 1-14 hours.

Developing Swing and J2EE btw.

Net Beans sum times crashes when I run a program, right click, or come out of stand by. Then it stops responding for around 1-3 minuets. After that everything runs normally for 5-20 minuets. Please note that the times I am giving you are guesses, I did not time it.

Badmi, what os do you run on ? and what system and jdk ?

Your symptoms look a lot like swapping as netbeans needs much memory 256 MB should be the lower end i think. (did you install the other os package with no installer then you should give it more xmx in the ide.cfg - file)

Does it start up smootly ? I once had an issue with NB taking about 3 - 5 minutes to start up.

I have windows xp with java 1.4.2. I also have less then 256mb of ram so that may be the problem. It takes several minutes to start up. If you can tell me for sure that updating my ram will fix the problem I will look into getting new ram.

Sorry Badmi but i can’t be sure of this.

My expirience with long startup times is from linux and vanished with a new suse and jdk version and i have 512 MB on every machine i run NB.

My first try would be to

check that the following line is in your ide.cfg:

-J-Xms24m -J-Xmx128m

and this to ensure the ide is using the jdk you expect it to:

-jdkhome “C:Program FilesJavajdk1.5.0”

(you can still compile and execute with another one)

Then search the netbeans forums for your prob …

if no success then i’d recommend:

uninstall java (and NB), stomp Netbeans conifg dir which is usually under

C:Documents and Settingsyouruser.netbeans3.6

and then install again with the latest jdk and NB

(but you have to create and mount all your projects again in the ide)

But sadly i can’t give You no guarantees at all. :frowning:

good luck

Martin

Based on the results it seems that a tutorial on CVS branching and merging covering NetBeans and Eclipse should cover the VAST majority of people. Thanks for all of your input.

Currently I’m using Netbeans 4.1 ea. It works pretty well.

I use JDeveloper 10g at work. And in the past I used TogetherSoft 5+, Visual Age, Eclipse, …

I like TogetherSoft’s modeling features.

I haven’t use Eclipse for a while, how’s that going? I heard good things about it.