Which is better

Which is better to use, Eclipse or NetBeans.

I am just going to start playing with jME but I don't know which is better to use.

I guess it is very much a personal choice. I have lousy experience from distant past with netbeans and currently work with eclipse and am very happy. However I am sure NetBeans has been improved during the past years :slight_smile:

Also the only difference that comes to mind worth mentioning atm is that NetBeans (I think) has a good built in profiler, while Eclipses's plugin (which you have to install separately) is reported to suck or is very difficult to use.

Also the only difference that comes to mind worth mentioning atm is that NetBeans (I think) has a good built in profiler, while Eclipses's plugin (which you have to install separately) is reported to suck or is very difficult to use.

I have the v3.3.2 of Eclipse, do you know a good profiler that really works with it ? (I tried many profilers on the previous version and it worked with no problem.)

No sorry… Core-Dump tried one I think and was disappointed… I myself never got one running (well never gave it a serious try either ). Using YourKit myself

But back on the topic of IDE-s… just install them both and give a short try  :smiley:

i couldn’t get Eclipses TPTP plugin to work with a reasonable performance.

but jProfiler seems really nice also.

Thanks

I use the free (beta) version of “Yourkit Java Profiler”, which is the only one I found that work for Eclipse on OSX and it turned out to be really good. Easy to use, nice integration, good performance and everything.

Link:

http://www.yourkit.com/

vaagear, it also depends on what else you want to program in the Java universe. if you ever want to make Rich-Client-Applications, i cant hurt to know your way around Eclipse.

From a personal standpoint: I always prefer the software that a few geeks wrote to one that comes from a big "evil" company … like Sun  :wink:

so long,

Andy