Whistling sound when running jME apps

Hey guys, weird problem happening with my tower

When I run a jME program, any of the tutorial files for example, my tower starts making a weird whistling/hissing noise while the app is running.

Could this be related to OpenGL and my video card or something?  The sound definitely isn't coming from my speakers, it's coming from inside my computer case.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

EVGA 750i

EVGA GTX 260 core 216

Corsair Dominator 4GB

Corsair HX620 PSU

I would guess that it's fan issue on your video card. Most of the tutorials/tests do not throttle the fps. Try enabling vsync.

Whistling is probably not a god thing…

bosun said:

I would guess that it's fan issue on your video card. Most of the tutorials/tests do not throttle the fps. Try enabling vsync.

Whistling is probably not a god thing....

It isn't a fan issue, I turned up my fan just to see what it sounds like and it isn't the same sound.

Does it sound like this by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ

bosun said:

Does it sound like this by any chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ

Yeah!  That must be it.  It apparently is one of the coils in the PSU that whines as the GPU needs more power.

You know what's weird?  It doesn't make the sound when I play games like Bioshock or Team Fortress 2, only when running jME stuff.  Does OpenGL really require that much power? o_0

It's not necessarily the amount of power drawn. I understand it depends on frequencies and all that, so it can be noisy under low loads and quiet under high loads.

Note: this coil or capacitor whistling can happen with just about any electronics, so you may want to be certain what part is making the noise before you have it repkaced (if you do).

One of my cards/pc's does this as well, no problem so far. Any chance you have a radeon 3750 with reference fandesign?

Well also I can promise that it's not my power supply, as it only happens in opengl games (try setting a utengine game to opengl mode and hear if it emits the sound than as well)

The whistling can be caused by the coils on either the PSU or the GPU…  It's also not consistent from card to card (even though some card designs were more likely to exhibit the sound).  I had two 8800 GT's at one point, one whistled and one didn't…

BTW, it shouldn't cause any harm to the hardware