Why no proper java packages?

wohaa snacktime calm down, maven is nice for entreprise projects, but lets face it maven is NOT perfect,and it’s not because you use it at work that its a must have in any form of java project…

I don’t feel the need to use maven for JME. the SDK is enough.

@normen As I suspected: that’s the pages with 2011-12-15 on them.

Getting whacked with “did you even read” with a page that’s outdated by more than a year and that I did in fact read isn’t exactly productive.
This is just the last example of consistent passive-aggressive rhethorics. Since that’s leading nowhere, I’m off doing something more useful.

@toolforger said: @normen As I suspected: that's the pages with 2011-12-15 on them.

Getting whacked with “did you even read” with a page that’s outdated by more than a year and that I did in fact read isn’t exactly productive.
This is just the last example of consistent passive-aggressive rhethorics. Since that’s leading nowhere, I’m off doing something more useful.

Your refinement process of first putting out lots of complaints about what I say and then successively dropping points to leave “the one point” that “clearly shows” that I am “passive aggressive” is getting old too… I just put out info and answer to (your) questions.

Also whats the deal about the age of the page? Maven is much older than one year, the way of embedding a jme build into maven is still working. And I didn’t “whack” you, you were clearly still talking about setting up a maven repo so we were not on the same page, hence the question.

Well, your arguments are so vague that it’s impossible to answer them. Not without making assumptions about what you actually meant, which you’ll use to launch complaints that I’m not properly reading you if you’re going to follow your usual routine.
Classic passive-aggressive ploy. Yes it’s getting old, but the diagnosis is following the symptoms which are getting old as well. I wouldn’t mention this if I were alone with that impression BTW: I did get some core dev feedback along the lines that your social skills are known to be terrible.

Oh. The real point. Let me sum it up, maybe it’s clear enough this time:

• I agree that Gradle would be far superior over Maven to build the engine and the SDK.
  • I think setting up artifacts on Maven Central would be useful.
  • Stub22’s work could be useful as a starting point and working baseline for the Maven Central upload.
  • What I read of stub22’s descriptions was focused on the upload, not on the build.
@toolforger said: Well, your arguments are so vague that it's impossible to answer them. Not without making assumptions about what you actually meant, which you'll use to launch complaints that I'm not properly reading you if you're going to follow your usual routine. Classic passive-aggressive ploy. Yes it's getting old, but the diagnosis is following the symptoms which are getting old as well. I wouldn't mention this if I were alone with that impression BTW: I did get some core dev feedback along the lines that your social skills are known to be terrible.

wtf. xD Still trying to play people against me that I talk to daily and who can (and do) easily say such stuff to my face directly. Also please point to the exact example where I was vague about anything. Again you summarize the thread with stuff that you completely pulled out of your behind. If I was to analyze you I would say you either have a crush on me or are slightly obsessed by trying to “own” me somehow. And why the summary? I said you didn’t understand me, not that I didn’t understand you.

<cite>@normen said:</cite> wtf. xD Still trying to play people against me that I talk to daily and who can (and do) easily say such stuff to my face directly.

Read again. I’m not playing against you; if I did that, I’d talk to them, not to you.
Also, it’s their position to say stuff to your face.

<cite>@normen said:</cite>Also please point to the exact example where I was vague about anything.

Wow. You don’t like getting fed your own food, do you?

<cite>@normen said:</cite>Again you summarize the thread with stuff that you completely pulled out of your behind.

Ah, vague again. Not saying what points are pulled from my behind.
In fact at least one point was about what I am thinking, so you either haven’t even read what I wrote, or you think you know my thoughts better than myself, which is absolutely hilarious.

<cite>@normen said:</cite>If I was to analyze you I would say you either have a crush on me or are slightly obsessed by trying to "own" me somehow.

So you pretend you’re not analyzing me by analyzing me. More down-the-nose rhethorics.
And you said elsewhere that you’re “just saying what you think” - in reality, you’re just trying to diminish your opponent that are in a troll’s toolbox: Ridicule, vagueness, misinterpretation, reinterpretation, sidetracking, bait-and-switch. You once publicly claimed I’m a master of whatever - well, it takes a master to recognize one, and you definitely are, sir.

I’m not interested in “owning” you except as much as it necessary to stand my ground. Whenever you escalate, standing my ground means I have to escalate, too, that’s all.
So I guess your analysis is partly correct but misses the most important point.

<cite>@normen said:</cite>I would say you either have a crush on me

Huh. I guess you needed to say that to feed your ego.
Besides, beards turn me off. Totally.

<cite>@normen said:</cite>And why the summary? I said you didn't understand me, not that I didn't understand you.

Well, you pretty much ignored the summarized points, and misunderstood at least one of them.
Also, I hoped you might still have interest in at least some bit of non-flamewar. My bad.

Well clap clap clap, we have another rage/useless post, if you two could now just be quiet it would be nice.
(Also in my honest opinion you both behave somewhat like dickheads in the last few posts)

So back to the topic, one thing that would need to be cleard is, how can we make sure that whoever has access to the maven central upload cannot just like vanish and we are left with a unupdateable repository? If it is on central it will be used from central, and if the version there is outdated we will get lots of fixed bugs questions regularly in the forum. One must only look at the current rc1 rc2 related bugs and questions to see a somewhat nightmare szenario.

(Regardless of the underlying build system/ manual upload this is an quite central issue)

2 Likes

@toolforger: Whatever. You seem to have misunderstood that I wasn’t talking to you but just informing about how maven artifacts will come to be when I first posted here. I misunderstood that by saying “until the Gradle build comes out, a Maven build is progress” you didn’t mean we should have a maven build.

@EmpirePhoenix:
Yeah, thats one thing. Generally we will only add something to the core engine or build process if the person handling it is a core member. That means somebody who contributed something to the engine/project and who makes himself available to the team for working on more things. Else its useless.

And by any means I don’t intend to bash the people who post working configuration files and code here, as I said thats great and certainly useful for us and many people. Thats why we add these things to the wiki.

I can agree with Normen’s wrap-up. Nice to see we can still get some consensus.
@Empire Phoenix I’m sorry for the flamewar. I try to cut down on it, and usually that works well enough or so I’m told, but I find it easier in some circumstances than in others.

<cite>@Empire Phoenix said:</cite> So back to the topic, one thing that would need to be cleard is, how can we make sure that whoever has access to the maven central upload cannot just like vanish and we are left with a unupdateable repository? If it is on central it will be used from central, and if the version there is outdated we will get lots of fixed bugs questions regularly in the forum. One must only look at the current rc1 rc2 related bugs and questions to see a somewhat nightmare szenario.

The upload can be automated. There’s a Gradle plugin for that - with one caveat: it’s in “incubation” status, which means it should work but could fail, or be changed. See How to publish artifacts to maven central repository via gradle maven-publish plugin (version 1.6) - mike、mikeなるままに… for details.

If the JME team does not upload artifacts, the Maven Central people will accept anybody else as a maintainer. They even have a readymade process for that.
So if there’s a concern that Maven Central will carry bad jars, the most reliable way to cut that out is doing the uploads directly.
Maven repos do have the ability to mark artifact versions as SNAPSHOT, these will be removed as the next update comes or as they get old. Artifact versions with no SNAPSHOT markers will remain available forever (that’s standard Maven practice: non-snapshot builds shall remain repeatable in the future, so they can’t take down outdated artifacts because somebody might want to rebuild an outdated application.)