WIKI-restructure

Hola elders of the jME,

we really have to restructure the wiki. jME seems to become more and more popular  and as a result more and more people are trying to develop with jME. No day without someone having trouble with getting started. Actually the wiki is not as bad as it seems but it is not always obvious how the reach the wanted information.

We need especially for the beginners a "guiding hand" (that is reachable from wiki-startpage) that leads clearly from the checkout to the first start of a test-class. At the moment it is too chaotic.

Actually I don't like to work at the wiki but all the posts about "how to get started" and all the trouble really makes me angry… (especially the netbeans-people) altough it is not (always) their fault.

For that reason I suggest we firstly start to restructure at minimum the frontpage.

I create a first toc for a new version. But this is just fast written down and will need some time. It is reachable from now on at the bottom of the wiki-guide: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=the_jme_wiki_guide  (actually I didn't know where to place it and I'm quite sure not so many people read the wiki-guide till the end :slight_smile: )

An (optional?) second step would be to make all the wiki jME2-compilant where I would suggest everyone (who feels capable about it) picks one pice of the jme-userguide and changes that. At this point it might be a good thing to include the new information we got with the sceneeditor…

Question to the netbeans-community: Is there a working tutorial for the newest netbeans-version?

Tom, if you're willing to take driver's seat on this one, I want you in the core team :slight_smile: The wiki is such a major priority and it is something both me and Skye are very passionate about, however our our priorities have forked over elsewhere for several reasons, some of which I'll explain in greater detail to you without boring the rest.

At this point, JME is more in need of diligent doc-writers than developers. Really.

ttrocha said:

Question to the netbeans-community: Is there a working tutorial for the newest netbeans-version?

No there's not, it's for netbeans 6.1 and since there's maven project files in the SVN, it's even not working with netbeans 6.1...

If there is the need (because I think it's quite easy..), I can write the tutorial for setting up jME through SVN in Netbeans 6.7.
Should I put jME-Physics2 into this tutorial, too?
tim8dev said:

ttrocha said:

No there's not, it's for netbeans 6.1 and since there's maven project files in the SVN, it's even not working with netbeans 6.1...

If there is the need (because I think it's quite easy..), I can write the tutorial for setting up jME through SVN in Netbeans 6.7.

I'd wait with the physics considering the dynamic nature of it right now, but a tutorial for 6.7.x and setting up jME would be great!
sbook said:

tim8dev said:

ttrocha said:

I'd wait with the physics considering the dynamic nature of it right now, but a tutorial for 6.7.x and setting up jME would be great!

Okay, ready for now, will add one screenshot, then I will just wait for seeing what happens out of the Physics-Projects..

Have a look at: http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_netbeans_6.7_for_jme_svn

EDITED: Layout fix

I found a 6.5/6.7 tutorial in the jme1-tutorials: can one of the netbeans developers validate that:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_netbeans_6.7_for_jme_2.0

ttrocha said:

I found a 6.5/6.7 tutorial in the jme1-tutorials: can one of the netbeans developers validate that:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=setting_up_netbeans_6.7_for_jme_2.0

That's just a link to my new article! ;]

Ok…thx for that! One of the most important tutorials… :smiley: really!

ttrocha said:

Ok...thx for that! One of the most important tutorials... :D really!

No problem :wink:

If I could help on other parts, I would like to. ;)

Didn't come much further since the day we spoke. Zathras will have a look of the current state of links I gathered and try to bring in a better structure. Actually this is no new content and no conversion yet. This still have to be done.

I think for every snippet some comments for what jME-Version it is will be very useful as even the newest tutorials will be outdated after some time (sad but true).

This is the very first version:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=new_frontpage

PS: Feel free to convert as much tutorials from jME1 to jME2 as you want. The "getting-started"-tutorials would be a good start…

Well, I'm just refactoring those little tutorials.

I always set a notice in the Java 5+ annotation style:

like @Version jME2 (r4748)

and @Note not ready yet

something like that :smiley:

i first create a new page for the refactor, so that the old ones are still complete (not up-to-date though).

And i always add a link to the actual version on the googlecode.com svn browser ;]

Cool, thx!

Hi!

Since i'm really looking forward into this (i want to have a nice wiki for my two new "semi"-developers  :wink: ),

I've always kept an eye on this.

Is there any new progress?

Or is it even still in progress? No offense, if i could help, i will, but it would make more sense to help like ttrocha want me to help :smiley:

Refactoring code-snippets from jME 1.0 to jME 2.0 for example, would be a job for me, should i just start and search all old code-snippets?

or would you like to make a whole new jME 2.0 "branch" of the User-Guide and copy all from the old one to the new one after refactoring?

I think docs is one of the few stuff jME needs!

And because jME 3.0 is approaching, we should also work on some better structure for the wiki so users will get less confused when confronting with 3 different Versions!

Maybe defining an "Annotation" would be great: so in front of each code-snippet add a (not in the code, but on top of it), "@jME 2.0" or "@jME 2.0.1 (r4699)" or "@jME 1.0" and when jME 2.1 and jME 3.0 are out, this will increase the useness of the code-snippets  :mrgreen:

Of course you could pm me, ttrocha if you have a more detailed approach or work for me :smiley:

IMHO finishing the Flag Rush tutorials will be the best update to the wiki. I'm creating a spaceship videogame for college. This is my first project with a 3D game engine (I did one videogame in 2D) and I depend heavily on that tutorial.

An explanation about Collisions would very very helpful. Also a How To about MD5 importer would be great, since I wasted a lot of hours trying to load a MD5 model just because there is no doc (or I couldn't find it) .

I would like to help on the wiki, but I guess I can't do anything right now, because I'm just too new to this. But my game will be released as OpenSource, that will be my small contribution :)

Thanks for your great job.

I'm in! I'll help where I can with the new wiki design. I'm working through development of an app right now, and I'm forming plans for a new game as well. I can document and update parts of the wiki as I hit those areas. Personally, I'd like to see the rest of the sections of the user's guide filled in.

Good idea,…maybe we also can fill the ugly red links with the corresponding Test…-classes for jmetest.

That would be a beginning, or what do you think!?

FYI,

I've started working through the user's guide updating and adding to it a bit. I started with the introduction page and added some white space so it wasn't all crammed together:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php/introduction

I also added quite a bit of description to the main game loop page.

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php/main_game_loop

Hello everybody, I'm trying to write a "how to write videogames with java for dummies" kind of book.

I have been reading your comments and also these threads:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=4991.0

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/forum/index.php?topic=12444.0

I am a total newbie here, but, I actually think that's an advantage because as a "newbie" I am going to write a very easy "for dummies" thing.

I think all these "wiki" discussions are great, but I must admit that my final goal is to actually create a book (in PDF format) that anybody can download and use.

If we can't reach the "PDF goal" I think we at least need to create the same "level" of documentation of the Panda3d engine ( http://www.panda3d.org/wiki/index.php ). That game engine is great and it's documentation is the best I have seen so far for a "free" game engine. The only reason I'm here trying to use jMonkeyEngine and not Panda3d for my games is that I don't like Python too much :slight_smile: . And I'm not saying this to make people mad here, I'm just saying this to push myself and others to realize how important the documentation is.

Ok, enough words, now some action: I'm in the process of finding a place to put the first chapter of the book I'm writting, it's just theory about videogames. Once I have that ready I'll come back and start chapter two: "jMonkey for dummies" :), so I can share my progress with everybody.

I would like to write for the jMonkey wiki, but I'm too newbie for that, so I'll put my stuff somewhere else so everybody can see it and after that I'll see how can I help here better. In a perfect world we would all be writting in a single wiki but right now I need to do this first and then let's see :slight_smile:

Keep the faith! jMonkey is great!

Henry

Just wanted to say very well done!

I would suggest to link this in the jME-2 "Tab" in the frontpage…

If you don't want, please just remove this from there.