Will JME2 development be stopped

Hi,

I would be interessted if you think that JME2 development will be stopped in fututre and if switching to JME3 is necessary to be up to date.

Thanks.

Not only am I still deep in jME2 with Betaville (though I haven't really had much to contribute for some time now, all works pretty well), but the OpenWonderland project also has a renewed interest in the jME living under MTGame.  This is all in addition to those who are still using jME2 around the community, there's a ton of knowledge floating around :slight_smile:

What is the difference between Andor3D and JME3?

Does anyone know why Java3D is not well established in the community and, much more interessting, why Sun is not developing a really "all-in-one" 3D solution, meaning scene rgaph engine etc ?

"Equilibrium" wrote:
Hi,

I would be interessted if you think that JME2 development will be stopped in fututre and if switching to JME3 is necessary to be up to date.
Thanks.
For almost two years now jme2 has been improved by the community only, there is no "main developer" left anyway. So you see that seems to work pretty well. I suppose as long as somebody knowledgeable uses jme2 it will be improved. Skyes BetaVille is based on it and many other people base their stuff on it too so good chances for continued fixes of jme2. Of course, this is oss, so you could even keep it alive yourself.
Cheers,
Normen

Renanse & Co did an outstanding job with jME2. That much is evident considering several commercial projects are still adopting and adapting this code to their needs. Problem is that over the last few years, some limitations in jME2's core designs have become more evident, limiting emerging best practices. To a great extent, both Ardor3D and jME3 were conceived as the necessary next generation.

Point is, in spite of its stability and continued community support, jME2's core won't change. For the time ahead as we start promoting the use of jME3, developers must, with our help, carefully consider their project's needs when choosing between legacy or current-gen technology.

Java3D is not well established because it suck. It has some mayor design flaws that prevents it from being used by most real applications, like games. The big question is why Sun even started Java3D in the first place.

Equilibrium said:

What is the difference between Andor3D and JME3?

Ardor3D is more business/visualization oriented, while jME3 is more game oriented.

Equilibrium said:

Does anyone know why Java3D is not well established in the community and, much more interessting, why Sun is not developing a really "all-in-one" 3D solution, meaning scene rgaph engine etc ?

Java3D is obsolete, as it is no longer supported by Sun.
They are not developing an "all-in-one" 3D solution because they don't care (anymore), and the community seems to handle that part better anyways.
Equilibrium said:
Because they couldn't do better than jME anyhow. BAM