Windows 10 Home edition sucks!

So much these.

Well as a member of the red team, I’m out of luck.

I used AMD(APU 7670 + 7470M) on Linux on my previous laptop, it was terrible :frowning: Now I have nvidia 750m + Intel Graphics, this hardware works fine on Linux systems.

I use Blender a LOT. I use it for doing complete renders, and often they take 5+ hours to complete.

What bugs me - linux is ~40% faster than Windows with CPU rendering.

With GPU… over twice as fast, 110-140% faster.

And Windows is only getting slower with each version. It’s annoying since I’ve never used Linux and I use the same pc for work as I do for gaming and basically everything so don’t want to switch.

1 Like

Reminds me of a micro-benchmark I ran a while back, comparing several memory access patterns in Java. For fun, I ran them under both my windows box, (7 Pro, later upgraded to 10 Pro) and under an Arch Linux VirtualBox instance (Which is only allowed 2 of my 8 logical cores)

The (Virtualized) Arch is faster and more consistent than the Windows host OS on the same box. Both running similar versions of Java (not identical - but the same generation)

As it turns out you can install 3.5 but not through the website or off line download tool. You have to go to the “turn windows features on/off” tool then select .net then it will install it. Trying to install it any other way just won’t happen. Apparently this is a new feature of the latest Windows 10 that ships with .net 4.6.

Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

Disclaimer: on 7 now and can’t say what will be on my next machine.

It’s even worse than that actually, what about the RAM limitations for different versions? Why the hell does Microsoft even have to bother about what hardware I can afford? It’s x64-86, enough on that! This is my main concern why I’m not sure I will stay with Windows on my next PC. This was mostly virtual problem by the time Win7 was released - there were mostly chipset limitations dictating amount of memory, but that’s not the case anymore. So I’ll definitely do a meticulous research before deciding to buy or not to buy Windows again.

p.s. and Visual Studio is crap for many years by now. They can’t even write a normal installer for that. I still have to install and use it from time to time due to projects needs but I’d never start my own project in it.

:unamused:

:+1:

I have bought a laptop asus g752vm a few days ago with nvidia gtx 1060, so this video card works on ubuntu really great! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s nice to hear, since I have also bought a gtx1060 lately, but couldn’t install it yet, because the card is too long. Now waiting for a new case.

But that is no ASUS ROG GTX 1060? Since I had to remove my HDD Cage for that beast :smiley:

Exactly that beast. I cutting a hole into my hdd cage but ended up just buying a new case.

If you did the same fault like me: Believing that that big coolers would lead to higher performance then you’re fucked :smiley: At least currently there is no way to lift the voltage up (There is no vBIOS Editor for Pascal Cards atm)

I can just say the mesa drivers really improved in the last 2-3 years under linux, since AMD decided to help with the opensource driver and only put some commercial features on top of it, instead of having a own driver.

Some games work quite ok by now, but I would still keep a windows for playing. However homebanking, documents, office is all under linux by now.
I also suggest to start with ubuntu, but once you got the hang of it, switch to arch or some other distribution that is not so out of date. The better drivers will validate that decision.

May I ask a noob question (as a primarily Win user so far) what’s so outdated in Ubuntu? I mean those tasks you listed (suites like libreoffice etc) looks working quite ok to me under Ubuntu. Do you refer to graphics drivers? Thanks!

Arch linux is cutting edge. All or at least the wide marjority of packages are latest releases. Ubuntu goes through quality control - and has a very long LTS - which provides stability for those that really need it. Whereas arch linux is less inclined in that scenario - favoring customization and up-to-date software instead.

I use only Ubuntu LTS and it is not outdated, but some pepople like very fresh version of all applications and kernels :slight_smile:

No offical way to get java 1.8 is outdated, 1.7 is out of support.
No way to get a mesa driver that supports your barely 2 year old gpu, because their driver is even older
Wondering why some features are missing, for example in gimp, comparing version with gimp website, 2 major releases past.ect.

Don#t get me wrong, for most commmon uses ubuntu does a prtty great job, also for servers, however if you wanto to develop, having outdated development tools is a pain in the ass. Of course it is possible to intall newer version manually, but then you have suddenly to are yourself for security updates ect. Once you are at the point i reached afew years back, that you have to intall like 30 custom ppa’s ect. mainting arch is suddenly way easier, and you wonder why you did not switch.

If you however mostly do emails, browsing, office and maybee a little bit development, you will barely ever reach even near that point.

When Ubuntu releases a new version of its OS every 6 months, that release is largely frozen in time.
So if you use a LTS that means at the end before a new LTS comes out you are pretty far back in time.

A good example was Ubuntu 12? 14? that shipped with a broken cmake, it never got updated!, and the jme bullet native part exactly triggers that bug. Since I wanted to improve a small part of the physic engine at that point in time, working around this cost me around 5X as much time as the actual bug fix.
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/cmake/2009-November/033128.html
Now look that that errowas resolve upstream years before and you understand my problem with using ubuntu as a development machine.

(But it works perfectly for newcomers, and my mother, so make your own opinion, arch is definitly not the best for newcomers (except if you actually have fun in following instructions, stopping at every second word to google what it means, then it is really fun))

Most people don’t like Ubuntu and Linux in general because of lack of driver support and software choice. Most programs are aimed at windows/mac. Frankly if you want the best Linux support you should try Linux Mint. It comes out the box with some of best driver support I’ve seen for a Linux distro.

Well the first one: I have 8u111-b14, which is the latest stable version (however you need the ppa from the webupd8team but it is actually even mentioned in the ubuntu wiki).

And the second one: Use proprietary drivers for gpus :stuck_out_tongue:

Your post makes me a bit thoughtful since I just installed Kubuntu 16 this december on a brand new machine I currently use. I just liked the Debian Ecosystem. It is too lated to start clean over again anyway…

Also being on the bleeding edge also has it’s drawbacks: Wasn’t there an update which killed pacman?