[WIP] Holicity

Tumaini said:
I haven't been looking into jME3 much though (*hides*), since it has too high graphics requirements (shaders) and jME2 is doing fine for us at the moment.
Wups, my bad, must've mixed up you with some of the other project developers who's making the move. jME3 was a conscious leap in hardware requirements, and we felt comfortable doing it, knowing jME2 had our backs covered for games such as yours. I'm definitely all for gameplay before graphics just like yourself, but at the same time I think we'd all hate to see jME3 be considered 'ancient' just a couple years from now. The way it's being designed and supported, that's definitely not gonna happen :)

We might switch later, of course, if we find that jME3 can run on low-end computers as well, but for now we'll stick with jME2.
There are actually undetermined plans for jME3 to support OpenGL1, mainly to open up for Android development. Depending on developments like how quickly new handheld devices adopt OGL2 though, these plans might change.

Had a feeling your game was something quite different. Glad to hear that!

.. And thanks for the compliment :)

Alright, we are at it again! :slight_smile:

The development of Holicity was very slow last year, due to other commitments, but recently we have picked up the pace.

jME2 has been replaced by jME3, GBUI by Nifty-GUI and there have been some graphical improvements (though these graphics are still placeholders as weā€™re not really 3D modellers). It even has one new ship!

Holicity now has the beginnings of gameplay, as you are now able to harvest ore from asteroids (all ships are currently equipped with a mining laser and a tractor beam) and our sound engineer has created some sound effects and even a piece of music!

Iā€™ve updated the first post with some screenshots from the latest pre-alpha version (donā€™t mind the weird graphical glitches, theyā€™re due to a bug in Ubuntu 12.04 Beta2), but perhaps this topic should be moved to Free Announcements (Iā€™m not quite sure of the difference)?

Weā€™re again planning an online test where anyone is free to participate. It is set for the 6th of May (exact time will be announced here later).

We will open up account registrations on a website sometime soon so you can register an account and you will then be able to create avatars in the client. The test will be fairly simple - all start at the space station with full fuel tanks, then everyone get themselves to the asteroid field to mine ore. Then itā€™s back again to the space station to sell it and the one who makes the most credits is the winner!

No doubt weā€™ll find lots of bugs to fix on the way.

5 Likes

Very Nice work!

Thanks!

The test on the 6th of May will be at 17 UTC+2 (CET), unless many testers cannot make it at that time.

The website where you can register a test account is being worked on and Iā€™ll update here with the url when itā€™s ready.

The new website is up at http://holicity.jordefamn.se!

If you want to participate in the online test on the 6th of May at 17.00 CET, please use the register page on the website - it will create an account that you can use to log in to the game later, when the server is up.

To make sure your account is transferred to the testing server before the test, please register at the latest one hour before the test starts.

Just a reminder - if you want to join in the test tomorrow, please register before 16.00 CET (GMT+2).

i tried to register, but the link in the email to verify my account, takes me to a ā€œpage not foundā€ on your website

Sorry about that - confounding Wordpress!

It should be working now.

it confirmed, but it wont let me log on. When i try to recover password, it says my email isnā€™t registered :frowning:

Oh, sorry, the registration is not (yet) for the web site, itā€™s for the game server.

It will be up at 17.00 CET (GMT+2) today and you will at that time be able to run the client from this address (webstart): http://holicity.jordefamn.se/webstart/

ah ok, hopefully i will be able to make it :slight_smile:

1 Like

The webstart client is now up at http://holicity.jordefamn.se/webstart/

1 Like

Cool, client seems to work on mac, I can get to the login and hear music and there seem to be no problems, I have no login tho ^^

1 Like

Weā€™re testing it intensely on Mac, as one of the developers uses Mac regularly, as well as on Linux, so it should support all the major platforms well (hopefully). There will be another online test in late May and everyone is very much welcome to help test it then, in a more stable version.

Just create an account on the website at any time before then and weā€™ll transfer them to the game server.

This test is now over and it was successful in that we found some bugs not found in local testing and have already fixed a few of them.

Hope to see you next time!

1 Like