WIP : Mayan Boy - Contest Entry

I don’t think a good artist is vital, look at the Mythruna :D.

@glaucomardano said:
I don't think a good artist is vital, look at the Mythruna :D.

Hahah. There are two different ways to read that. :)

The truth is, while I'm not a great artist, I do have some art background and have been tinkering with game art almost my whole life. I was even minoring in art in college before dropping that and for a brief time I worked as a graphic artist a loooong time ago. I'm definitely a better programmer, though.

But while the inner code is what wrote the engine, it was my inner artist that spent about 14 hours tweaking the day/night lighting and colors to be "just right". Or it's the inner artist that sends me on a six hour photoshop session to remaster a texture that just isn't working right.

While some people think Mythruna is ugly, some seem to really like it and there really is a consistent aesthetic sense I'm attempting. It's not just a random collection of shapes and textures. It seems like I can't add any new thing without spending at least 8 hours making it "fit" to my eyes.

So while a "good artist" might not be vital, I still say having some artistic sense is still important to have a well polished style.

btw I don’t think Mythruna is ugly, I’m at paradise every time I play that, that’s awesome .

@pspeed: Well , …

@pspeed said:
So while a "good artist" might not be vital, I still say having some artistic sense is still important to have a well polished style.

regarding Mythruna , I honesty say I love the game's style, simple but amazing...

I got my jaw droped when I saw that beautiful sunset in the sea ( made by blocks ) ...

And It's good a very good blue print editor for player to make more "things"... <= That's how that game show RULE ! (honestly)