[WIP] Myrena – minor updates, download the sandbox

Hello everyone. I’m starting to get more time to program on my game, and I’ve made a number of fundamental changes to how physics works and how certain things are procedurally generated, and added touch of post-processing. I’ve seemingly squashed all bugs that were pestering me, but I’d like to provide a download for the community to tinker with and see if they manifest in environments other than my own. If anything, I’m curious to learn if it even runs on Linux or Mac. I’m also completely open to suggestion on how I could improve anything. All comments are welcomed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8HGX2sr5tU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ycc6t0dBy8

Here are the links:
MyGame-Windows.zip
MyGame-MacOSX.zip
MyGame-Linux.zip
MyGame-WindowsOpenGL1.zip
MyGame-MacOSXOpenGL1.zip
MyGame-Linux-OpenGL1.zip

Player input is as follows:
F1 - Generate a new arena
F2 - Toggle between player control and free-fly camera control
Q - Super jump (hold while pressing jump, player control) or glide (hold while falling, player control); camera up (free-fly camera control)
E - camera down (free-fly camera control)
WASD - Move player/camera
Space - Jump
LMB - Mouse pick (not working properly)
MMB (Scroll) - Zoom in/out
Left Shift - Sprint (player control)
Left Control - Center camera (free-fly camera control)
G - Toggle poly/line/point

[EDIT] Video links added, download links added, updated controls list.
3 Likes

very nice :slight_smile: some screenshots would be good

@wezrule said:
very nice :) some screenshots would be good

Screenshots always are. Or even better, video! :D

Nice game!

on behalf of @knucklesandwich I am posting some screen shot.

1 Like

Am I the only one who sees a Creeper as the “crosshair”? XD lol

…yes, I suppose I should have at least included a screenshot. Since iamcreasy kindly took care of that (thank you), I’ll take care of video. Uploading now, will edit into first post.

I also suppose that I should have mentioned the bugs I’m trying to reproduce (resurrect), in case anyone sees them:

• I was having trouble with the camera auto-zoom (while the player is obscured, like behind a wall, it zooms in). Sometimes, it seemed to zoom even when there wasn’t any geometry between the player and the camera. It only happens in certain parts of a level. The collision ray is limited and spans between the player node and the camera node; if it collides with level mesh it’s supposed to casually zoom down to min zoom level. I’ve checked, and the distance on the ray is always correct even when the problem is happening. It goes from the player node and toward the direction of the camera, so I thought maybe it was shooting past camera and hitting something behind the cam – not the case. As I said, it only happens on certain parts of levels, the rest of the time it works great. I tore down and rewrote the collision routine and I don’t think I’ve seen it happen but let me know if you happen to see it.

• I sometimes go through the level and get stuck inside the geometry. This seemed to happen when I’d use Space to jump and Q to glide in a button smashing collision. I think it was due to the way I had Bullet configured, but I also think I’ve fixed it. Let me know if you get stuck inside a level.

…no other bugs I can think of at the moment, but if you happen across any strange behavior in character control or physics please let me know.

Yes, I see what you mean about the Creeper. I just changed him back to red. I’m going to hire someone to sculpt/animate player models eventually, but for now it’s just a block.

whoa sweet!

Myrena is really starting to look tight @knucklesandwich, great work :slight_smile:

… not sure how I missed this update till just now… deserves a bump anyway :wink:

@thetoucher said:
whoa sweet!

Myrena is really starting to look tight @knucklesandwich, great work :)

... not sure how I missed this update till just now... deserves a bump anyway ;)

Thanks!

I squeezed in a little more time to work on visuals, and threw a couple more vids up:

This one best represents the changes I've made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8HGX2sr5tU

This one shows something strange. I wrote a blur routine for the texture generator and it blurs as needed, but then shadows no longer show (they're still there, but you can't tell). I'm still trying to find out how to fix it, but it makes for some pretty sexy textures:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJgRPgBMz2o

I'll get a fresh copy of the sandbox uploaded after work today in case anyone wants to tinker.

The feel looks awesome! Neat work!

@knucklesandwich You might wanna tone down the depth blur a bit.

Sweet, but I can’t help but wonder - what is the object of the game? :stuck_out_tongue:

@knucklesandwich said:
I'd like to provide a download for the community to tinker with and see if they manifest in environments other than my own. If anything, I'm curious to learn if it even runs on Linux or Mac. I'm also completely open to suggestion on how I could improve anything. All comments are welcomed!

I couldn't get it to start on my Debian Linux machine (Geforce GT520 - really low end card but runs jME fine). Error is

Jun 01, 2012 11:42:38 PM com.jme3.app.Application handleError
SEVERE: Failed to create display
org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Could not choose GLX13 config
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.initDefaultPeerInfo(Native Method)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.(LinuxDisplayPeerInfo.java:61)
at org.lwjgl.opengl.DrawableGL.setPixelFormat(DrawableGL.java:61)

btw, the links in the OP all go to the Windows-zip :)
@memonick said:
The feel looks awesome! Neat work!

Thanks!

@iamcreasy said:
@knucklesandwich You might wanna tone down the depth blur a bit.

Before its over with, blur/fog/shadows/etc. will be controllable by the player (but in the latest videos I did as you suggested).

@javagame said:
Sweet, but I can't help but wonder - what is the object of the game? :p

That's a valid wonder. As it is right now, there is no point to the sandbox other than generating arenas and textures, then wandering around. However, my overall plan is to have it so that players own one or more arenas, which are randomly generated according to preferred parameters. This arena gains experience as players play in it; more experience provides for more resources to be used in designing their arena. Players will then snap onto their arena components like ladders, bridges, ropes, turrets, portals, water/lava/spikes, gravity zones, general decor, and everything else I can think of. I plan on making the snap-on components very physics-oriented, going to push bullet as far as I can. Anyhow, besides customizing their own arena with decor and physical mechanisms, I want to make it so that players can set up their own challenges and puzzles for others to play. Of course, players will always be able to choose to just do a traditional deathmatch with one or more other players. I'm going to do everything I can to make the challenge/puzzle aspect a more tempting approach to gameplay.

I'm building the main components of the game separately, which is why the sandbox is as simple as it is. Right now, I'm focusing on developing a combined p2p and client/server framework. This is the first time I've attempted such a thing, so I'm hurdling like crazy.

@jmaasing said:
I couldn't get it to start on my Debian Linux machine (Geforce GT520 - really low end card but runs jME fine). [...]
btw, the links in the OP all go to the Windows-zip :)

Hmmm, not sure what is keeping it from running - the GT520 appears to meet the requirements. I built versions that force OpenGL1 and disables all post-processing, try one of those and see if it still happens:
MyGame-WindowsOpenGL1.zip
MyGame-MacOSXOpenGL1.zip
MyGame-Linux-OpenGL1.zip

...also, I updated the sandbox download and added a couple more vids.
@knucklesandwich said:
Hmmm, not sure what is keeping it from running - the GT520 appears to meet the requirements. I built versions that force OpenGL1 and disables all post-processing, try one of those and see if it still happens:

...also, I updated the sandbox download and added a couple more vids.

Yeah the GT520 isn't an ancient card, just low end, so it handles OpenGL 3.2 - but slowly :) The OpenGL1-link lead to 404 missing page but since you said you updated the sandbox I tried the first download. Don't know if you changed anything or if I did but it runs fine on my linux machine now, yay!
@jmaasing said:
Yeah the GT520 isn't an ancient card, just low end, so it handles OpenGL 3.2 - but slowly :) The OpenGL1-link lead to 404 missing page but since you said you updated the sandbox I tried the first download. Don't know if you changed anything or if I did but it runs fine on my linux machine now, yay!

Sweet! I'm not sure what all was changed between then and now. I fixed the links for the copies that forces OpenGL1; it may run a shit-ton faster if you use that copy instead.

Sweet! Could you release world generation code? Also, can player add/remove “cubes” to arena to do finetuning of them (like in Minecraft)?