With all the changes to jMonkeyEngine, what is the best way to start a new project?

Hello everyone, I’ve used jMonkeyEngine in the past and have recently taken a renewed interest in it. Reading through the documentation and this community site I’m a little unsure of what the best way is to start a new project.

From the documentation, it appears that the SDK is the way to go. However, from the community I have found some posts saying that the SDK is no longer supported. In the documents there are still a lot of beginner tutorials that assume the use of the SDK, like with importing models which need to be converted to .j3o using tools in the SDK.

As someone who is getting reacquainted with the engine, what would be the best and most future-proof way to start new projects and start learning from the ground up again?

So far I’ve managed to get projects to build using Eclipse, which I quite like as an IDE. Is that a good way to go moving forward?

Hi

I think core developers plan to base jme projects template on gradle. They released the first version of Bootmonkey yesterday Release Bootmonkey 1.0.0 · Nehon/bootmonkey · GitHub
you can read more about it here

You can run it on any IDE. Beside it you can use SDK for managing models, creating scene and more.

I myself installed Gradle plugin on JME SDK (which is based on netbeans) and using both gradle and SDK features.

1 Like

To start with jME, I’d recommend following the beginner tutorials in the wiki, and from there experimenting yourself with simple projects/games (while also looking at examplatory projects, like Lemur).

I’d also recommend using the SDK for two reasons

1. It is very easy to start a new jME project (just as easy as a normal Java one). No extra building efforts.
  2. It has jME-specific plugins. For example, you can create scenes with it, or import j3o files.
    The SDK is made using Netbeans, so if you don’t like it, or prefer another IDE, feel free to use whatever you want.