[Work around found]Yet Another Import Problem (Blender 2.63->j3o)

@mifth said:
Ok, but can we add triangles and quads support? for BMesh.

whether I don't get the whole Bmesh concept thing or ...you don't.

You mean that for example if you make the standard box with blender it can't be imported without being triangulated?
@nehon said:
whether I don't get the whole Bmesh concept thing or ...you don't.

You mean that for example if you make the standard box with blender it can't be imported without being triangulated?

Yeah, exactly. I cannot import even a box with BMesh.

Edited: even if i triangulate the box - mesh is not imported.

mhhh ok so that’s a problem indeed

1 Like

BMesh is a new mesh system. It has replaced old mesh system. I suppose there is new API for the blender 2.63 mesh system.

@mifth said:
Yeah, exactly. I cannot import even a box with BMesh.

@zarch said:
Found a work around!
In blender 2.63 if you triangulate the mesh (ctrl T) and then "save as" there are some options to tick at the left one of which is Legacy Mesh Format.
If you tick that then the resulting save can be opened in the SDK and converted to j3o - and I see my model correctly in scene composer.

@Kaelthas said:
Thanks for finding it :) This will allow people to use Blender 2.63 until BMesh is supported by the importer :)

So @mifth, what exactly is your problem? Theres a workaround, you have the confirmation that BMeshes will be supported.. I guess you can stop posting and start waiting or coding, at least stop confusing @nehon :P

I’m not confused…wait…where am I…? who are you?

Even if the model is triangulated it is still saved in the new ‘BMesh’ structures.

I already know which of the should I use so I gues I will add this support soon.

Be patient my young Padawans :smiley:

2 Likes
@normen said:
Try "recalculating normals outside" if that doesn't do it its bad modeling I guess. Look that you only use quads while modeling (they also work great with subsurfaces), triangles will cause the funny things you notice here. Always try to create the whole model using extrusion only, things like creating meshes from intersections and sewing etc. will cause nasty vertex combinations.

I'm creating a model for a game, and I am using ProOptimizer to reduce the poly count. However, it sometimes removes quads and creates triangles - resulting in more triangles than quads, really. Are you saying I shouldn't Optimize the model? That said, I tried importing a model with triangles, and I didn't see any problems.
@memonick said:
I'm creating a model for a game, and I am using ProOptimizer to reduce the poly count. However, it sometimes removes quads and creates triangles - resulting in more triangles than quads, really. Are you saying I shouldn't Optimize the model? That said, I tried importing a model with triangles, and I didn't see any problems.

Yeah, in the end it will always be triangles, I am talking about having triangles during editing. They cause inconsistencies in the mesh, best always work with quads that are later triangulized on export.

I didn’t understand the last part though. What if I triangulate the model before I export? What happens?

EDIT: Never mind. There’s a tool in 3DS Max tool that lets me convert triangles back to quads.

As said you should only do that on export.

I’m sorry normen, but I don’t understand what you mean by ‘on export’. Do you mean that Optimizing should be the last thing I do before I export the mesh?

Its no optimization, its making sure that the model is game compatible (which requires triangles).

[java]±–+

| |

±–+

becomes

±–+

| / |

±–+

[/java]

This all has nothing to do with the editing part.

But what’s the problem with exporting a model made up of triangles instead of quads? Isn’t that just making the engine’s work easier? :stuck_out_tongue:

@zarch said:
Found a work around!

In blender 2.63 if you triangulate the mesh (ctrl T) and then "save as" there are some options to tick at the left one of which is Legacy Mesh Format.

If you tick that then the resulting save can be opened in the SDK and converted to j3o - and I see my model correctly in scene composer.

@zarch your method has some issues. I tried to save a model with your method you described and i get this:
http://i.imgur.com/mQR9u.png

@mifth: make sure your normals are right → “calculate normals outside” or whatsisname

@normen said:
@mifth: make sure your normals are right -> "calculate normals outside" or whatsisname

Normals are ok.
Blender 2.62 imports ok. But Blender 2.63(with zarch's method) imports such a model.
I suppose the zarch's method will work incorrectly sometimes.
@mifth said:
I suppose the zarch's method will work incorrectly sometimes.

There has to be a reason for this, else its a bug in blender. You sure you understand those bmeshes completely already?
@normen said:
There has to be a reason for this, else its a bug in blender. You sure you understand those bmeshes completely already?

i think when I save BMesh into old blender format (as @zarch described), so blender saves some kind of differently (vertex array i suppose).
@mifth said:
i think when I save BMesh into old blender format (as @zarch described), so blender saves some kind of differently (vertex array i suppose).

Yes so if you describe something with the bmesh that doesn't translate to a proper triangle based model then you have a problem anyway as thats what games use.