World Border

Oh, and my real super power is that I have the javadocs open. Always. :slight_smile:

Help in any forum is a tricky subject.

You never know how the OP, or even those coming along in the conversation, are knowledgeable. Either in code, 3d engine, logic. Language (both programming and speaking) also enters the equation.

Add to this the frustration sometimes the OP are at, countless hours of fruitless search (not always obviously) because they don’t know what terms to use to search or, sometimes, plain laziness.

So, assessing anyone, first posters is really hard.

We’ve seen several people with no programming experience arguing with everyone, telling us “how it should be done”. We’ve seen people demanding we give them code every time they asked questions; that is was a “simple thing for us”. It somehow felt like “I don’t need to code, you guys will do it for me!”. These are extreme examples, but we’ve seen that. I’ve seen it and I’ve been here a couple of years…

So, in the end, it’s always a matter of preferences. Many noobs will skip the search part. Some because they ARE lazy, but many simply because they don’t even know what to search for. Another thing many newcomers will not do is clearly explain what they have tried and what the results they are looking for are. This makes helping very hard and annoying as you have to guess. Guessing is rarely good.

Anyway, long ramble to say that if you feel like you’re tensing up while answering a question, it might be better to just skip it. :wink:

Now, on the subject of the original question…

World’s border is a thorny subject. This is VERY game-dependent. With certain games you can pull off the “nothingness” around the map. Think Bastion and Puzzle Dimension. FPS games will use different schemes to stop you from going where you shouldn’t. Things like barricades, buildings, road-blocks, oceans, even turrets that would tear you to pieces if you walk too far out (Borderlands). The ways to do that is as varied as there are games. There ever those that just don’t care and will simply put an invisible barrier (I call that being lazy as fock) and nothing else.

As for you… use the way that makes more sense to you and your game.

Hopefully that’ll help.

1 Like

Just so everyone is clear, I always search for my answers before I end up posting here. However, sometimes I think I’m too broad on the subject. “World Border”, for example, is WAY too broad.

@madjack after reading what you said it dawned on me that I didn’t realize the obvious. Games don’t just put an invisible barrier up. The map tends to continue but fences, buildings, hedges, and other natural things block your way (like in COD or Battlefield). I hadn’t thought of incorporating that sort of barrier into my game.

So in any case thanks for the input and the somewhat eye-opening posts

2 Likes
@Connor14 said: Just so everyone is clear, I always search for my answers before I end up posting here. However, sometimes I think I'm too broad on the subject. "World Border", for example, is WAY too broad.

@madjack after reading what you said it dawned on me that I didn’t realize the obvious. Games don’t just put an invisible barrier up. The map tends to continue but fences, buildings, hedges, and other natural things block your way (like in COD or Battlefield). I hadn’t thought of incorporating that sort of barrier into my game.

So in any case thanks for the input and the somewhat eye-opening posts

Though many games in fact do limit the world boundary arbitrarily with planes and/or invisible geometry. There’s even a trope/term for it: Invisible wall - Wikipedia

@Connor14 said: Just so everyone is clear, I always search for my answers before I end up posting here. However, sometimes I think I'm too broad on the subject. "World Border", for example, is WAY too broad.

Yeah, that happens. Sometimes it’s just a keyword problem.

Not to get too “lectury” but it helps if a poster puts a little more effort into their questions. Tell us the story so far and maybe we will find ways to help that you didn’t think of. “I’m at an intersection, should I go left or right?” is likely not the kind of question that will illicit good answers. Tell us how you got there, where you are really trying to go, etc…

This link might be worth a read: mikeash.com: Getting Answers

Remember that you are asking people to interrupt whatever they are already working on to take time to answer your question and so it’s best if you show the equivalent intent to put the effort into getting a good answer… by asking a good question.

@pspeed said: Remember that you are asking people to interrupt whatever they are already working on to take time to answer your question and so it's best if you show the equivalent intent to put the effort into getting a good answer... by asking a good question.

I will keep that in mind in the future. I think I’ve managed to have bad experiences on other sites that partly affect my posting now. I would put effort into a post explaining what I’ve already done to the best of my ability and I will still get poor responses, if any. I may be over explaining. Who knows.

Anyways, I will look into some of the suggestions I have managed to get.

I apologize for the poorly written original question on which the arguments in this thread were based.

@Connor14 said: I apologize for the poorly written original question on which the arguments in this thread were based.

Don’t sweat it. Apparently we were all procrastinating on our own projects. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@pspeed I followed the advice from here and applied it to a new post here http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/forum/topic/ai-code-not-working/

I tried to explain my issue and showed/ explained what I had already tried to do. I may end up reviewing it and adding more info.