Z-Fighting and transparency

I have a little problem I did not solve for some time: If I have transparent blocks (ice, glass, etc.) sliding on a flat surface I get z-Fighting on the bottom of the blocks (using two pass transparency in transparent queue and one sided lighting):

Any clever ideas to solve this problem?

Use polygon offset, Renderer.setPolygonOffset() & Renderer.clearPolygonOffset(). See this page for more info.

Well I can create really nasty effects with that, but it does not affect the transparent stuff :frowning:

Hmm, perhaps rendering the floor first, then clearing the zbuffer?  (Assuming you, and objects, do not go below the floor) 

irrisor said:

Well I can create really nasty effects with that, but it does not affect the transparent stuff :(

You need to render your scene first, then render the transparent blocks with the polygon offset.
Try rendering your blocks in a separate pass and use Pass.setZOffset to set the offset.
renanse said:

Hmm, perhaps rendering the floor first, then clearing the zbuffer?  (Assuming you, and objects, do not go below the floor) 

good idea, but I have floor pieces that possibly occlude transparent things

Momoko_Fan said:

You need to render your scene first, then render the transparent blocks with the polygon offset.

wow, that really works smoothly, thanks! 8)
I did not really get it from the link you posted, sorry.

@renanse (and other devs): should we probably change rendering the transparent queue like this, by default:

renderer.setPolygonOffset( -1, 1 );
        renderTransparentBucket();
        renderer.setPolygonOffset( 0, 0 );

(possibly only if polygon offset is 0,0 before)

It does not seem to harm other application (can't see anything in the tests at least).

I don't know… If we did add such, it should be with non-hardcoded numbers at the very least.