ZombieQuest

Hello!

My fellow student and I proudly present you our work. We programmed this game as our “SoftwareProject” for our studies of computer science. The project is in BETA right now and has already a development time of one month, and is going to end pretty soon.

ZombieQuest is a game like GTA2 with zombies.

The game is in German, for those who don’t speak it:

Q - Action

E - Health

WASD - Move

Spacebar - Shoot

1-4 change weapons

0 - Pause

Go to the NPCs with marks above their heads press E, and do their simple quests:

1: Kill 20 Zombies

2: Get an Item

3: Defend the camp

4: Kill the boss

I hope you enjoy playing. Please comment our work!

UPDATE: RC2 released!

http://www.file-upload.net/download-1574960/DeployRC2.rar.html

SPECIAL THANKS TO:

The developers of JME2

Neakor - the developer of the MD5 Importer

The forum-crew (thats you!)

great job! its a really nice project! im sure u guys will get an A or whatever the equivalent is in ur school.

Awesome!

Zombie is so cute to kill.  :smiley:

Hey!

I just want to play the game, but it can't run:-( This is my error (in cmd):

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:UsersBorisDesktopDeployBETAliblwjgl.dll:

Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Unknown Source)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(Unknown Source)

at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:72)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:65)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:81)

at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:98)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:129)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.getValidDisplayMode(LWJGLDisp

laySystem.java:351)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.selectMode(LWJGLDisplaySystem

.java:494)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.initDisplay(LWJGLDisplaySyste

m.java:407)

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(LWJGLDisplaySyst

em.java:143)

at staticApp.StaticBaseSimpleGame.initSystem(StaticBaseSimpleGame.java:3

81)

at staticApp.StaticBaseGame.start(StaticBaseGame.java:71)

at game.Main.main(Main.java:22)

2-apr-2009 11:03:49 staticApp.StaticBaseSimpleGame cleanup

INFO: Cleaning up resources.

2-apr-2009 11:03:49 staticApp.StaticBaseGame start

INFO: Application ending.

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Could not initialize

class org.lwjgl.opengl.Display

at com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem.close(LWJGLDisplaySystem.java

:309)

at staticApp.StaticBaseGame.quit(StaticBaseGame.java:118)

at staticApp.StaticBaseSimpleGame.quit(StaticBaseSimpleGame.java:612)

at staticApp.StaticBaseGame.start(StaticBaseGame.java:108)

at game.Main.main(Main.java:22)

I got this error because I've Windows Vista x64 bit OS… Is there something I can do to let it work?

I don't know much about that, but I think that you need to replace the Libs provided in that package with the JME2 libs you use for Vista 64 Bit. But I don't know if there are any!

Hi!

I would like to test your game but I cannot open RAR files and it seems to be packaged for Windows (someone spoke about DLLs, didn't he?). What about using Java Webstart? If you really want to allow lots of people to test your game, you should drive it as easy as possible as I did for my own FPS. Good luck and keep it up. Do you have any screenshots?

LWJGL2.1 was released recently and it supports 64 bit windows!

By the way, nice game! It indeed reminds me of GTA1,2. I think you should lower the sensitivity for turning though.

Momoko_Fan said:

LWJGL2.1 was released recently and it supports 64 bit windows!
By the way, nice game! It indeed reminds me of GTA1,2. I think you should lower the sensitivity for turning though.

I hope you have VSYNC enabled to limit your FPS. You should have 60 to play this game the intended way!

Good luck and keep it up. Do you have any screenshots?

Hot dog on the lwjgl support, and same issue with OpenAL32 for me too (I got up and running on a new rig with Vista 64 bit this past month…I feel all powerful :wink: ).

Though, you can still run 32 bit apps on it mind you…in fact, I just copied over my entire eclipse workspace to my new computer and setup the java system library to the 32 bit VM (I have both, since firefox is only 32 bit…hence need the 32 plugin) and I got everything running without a hitch. Didn't have to mess around with the libraries, or manually compile the lwjgl dll or anything, so you don't really need JME's libs to be 64 bit… ;).

Though (and I just tested this out while writing heh) it seems when you call the java VM from the command line, it's calling the 64 bit VM not the 32 bit vm. SO if you have 32 bit java installed, just replace the line from the start.bat with this:

"C:Program Files (x86)Javajre6binjava.exe" -Djava.library.path=lib -jar DeployBETA.jar  -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

Or where ever you installed the 32 bit VM (for me the above was default). It starts up fine after that, sound and all ;).

Edit: I think thats because I installed the 64 bit VM first if I recall...so if you installed the 32 bit VM first you may or may not have this problem...or I could be wrong. Anyways, until everything's 64 bit, it's a good idea to have both though! Just need to fine a nice solution so I can call up the 32 bit version with ease, or maybe just stick entirely with the 32 bit, since I think the only thing that uses the 64 bit VM is the 64-bit IE...

Heh and good job on the game. Though my major criticism would be its sort of hard to aim (movement seems to be fast and im always over shooting where i want to aim at). Would be great if you moved with the wsad keys - BUT rotated/aimed via the mouse…just a suggestion :slight_smile:

Relying on v-sync is a bad idea because on some platforms its not supported and on others its disabled by default. You should consider supporting framerate-independent logic, using the TPF (time per frame) value given in the update methods.  :slight_smile: Also if the system cannot support 60 fps that means the game will be slower for them, which is sort-of a cheat.

If you're using StandardGame, you can automatically enable framerate limiting using the GameSettings call setFramerate(60).

Thanks for the help all. I'm now installing Java x32 bit. I hope it wil work now… Thanks anyway!

EDIT: Yes! It works! Great game!

I don't like zombie games where I can't shoot and move backward. I never reached the graveyard :frowning:

Hm? I can shoot and move backwards, but I dont reach it alive as well, there is jsut to much (uncountable ^^) of them. Kinda fun to play anyway.

Btw is the sourcecode aviable? (or will you make it aviable after finsihing the project?)

To the vsync stuff, take a look at FixedLogicrate game.

Also it would be nice if i could set how fast i turn.

Edit

Yay finallly finsihed it :slight_smile:

Today, we received the best possible mark from our CG prof. The project officially ended :slight_smile:

The full project (including all the prototypes we programmed for the course "Rapid Game Prototyping", the 30 pages long report, ZombieQuest with its full sourcecode) is available at http://drop.io/itpmrgp

Yay finallly finsihed it Smiley

I hope you liked the fight with boss :)
BTBORIBOSs said:

Thanks for the help all. I'm now installing Java x32 bit. I hope it wil work now... Thanks anyway!

Can you give detailed information about what did you install on your computer. I have similiar problem.
maybe some links?

[quote author=[IR]Radek link=topic=10831.msg82792#msg82792 date=1240058447]

BTBORIBOSs said:

Thanks for the help all. I'm now installing Java x32 bit. I hope it wil work now... Thanks anyway!

Can you give detailed information about what did you install on your computer. I have similiar problem.
maybe some links?
[/quote]

I first installed Java x32 bit. You can download it on this page: "http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp" (JRE 6 Update 13). I installed it in "C:Program Files (x86)Java"

Then I changed the START.bat file. Instead of this line

java -Djava.library.path=lib -jar DeployBETA.jar  -Xms512m -Xmx1024m 

I used this:

"C:Program Files (x86)Javajre6binjava.exe" -Djava.library.path=lib -jar DeployBETA.jar  -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

to make sure it used the x32 bit version of Java (I have both x64 and x32 versions of Java). And then it worked for me... I hope this can help you...

Thanks for info. I'll try this :slight_smile: