Brand new Lod Generator

got it thanks.
I’ll look into it asap.
not sure I’ll be able to do something about it though

Any feed back would be great. I am trying to find a way of creating a mesh that can be loded to be used in JME.

Currently I am manually swapping models out and it is not as clean as I would like for it to be.

@Nehon

I don’t mean to bug you, but were you able to get the lods to generate for my model?

oups sorry I forgot, gonna try it right now and keep you updated

ok, I just did, it didn’t work.
But your model is strange, it has 3250 triangle and 9750 vertice. Meaning that no triangle are actually connected.
This means that each vertex is associated with only one triangle so the algorithm can’t collapse it.

Maybe you have some funky uvs? where you just laid out all the triangles separately?

There seems to be an issue with the OgreMax export.

I saved the file as an obj and was able to apply the lod generator properly. I will contact OgreMax to help with this issue.

@Nehon

I have a question I have a model created in 3DS MAX.
If I export the model from ogremax the vertices are not shared at all so the LOD is not able to be generated.
I have exported the same model as an .obj file and the LOD generator will work properly.

Is there another way of getting the animations for that model out of Max and into JME another way than using Ogremax?

Unfortunately not to my knowledge.
you can try to save the model as a 3DS, open it with blender and then export to ogre from blender, but that’s a long shot

Ill give that a shot.

Update: I have been able to generate the LODs on my model that was exported from OgreMax. There is an option in the OgreMax Scene export settings called Remove Duplicate Vertices. Once this option was enabled and I exported my models I was able to utilize the generate lod successfully.

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

1 Like

That’s good to know, thanks.

I just created a wiki page for this feature here:
https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:advanced:level_of_detail

4 Likes

There are two level 4 text boxes on the generator window. If you enter a value in level 10 this generates on.

Just as a heads up.

Hehe, yeah… :oops: I just cropped the copy of Remy’s screenshot that I’m using in the wiki article so this is not visible… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Does the LOD generator also create smaller(mipmaped) textures for the less detailed LODs? Or does it just apply the high rez texture to them?

It only works on the mesh level, generating different index buffers. The geometry may not even have a texture. Those are 2 different issues.
Also if you didn’t change anything, mipmaps are generated for you when you load a texture and the GPU will pick the good one for you according the the view distance.

Right…the GPU will make the mipmaps…but it will still have the large texture in VRAM instead of the smaller one. So it’s more efficient to pass a smaller texture with a lower LOD (i think), correct me if I’m wrong though.

I’m just trying to see whats more efficient, and have a choice between creating all the LODs manually in 3DS or using the LOD generator.

I chose to use the lod generator because they can be swapped without having to change the skeletons. I was having an issue when changing an lod mid animation the animation would stutter.

Also I would assume that the large texture would still be in memory so essentially if you used 2 different textures you would have more memory used.

I could be completely wrong when I switched from manual to generated lod my memory consumption went down.

Also in the SDK Lod Generator there are 1 to many text boxes and if you enter a value in all boxes it generates an index out of bounds error and does not create the LODs.

The last text box should be removed.

The large texture and its geometry would be removed from VRam when a lower LOD is loaded up with a smaller texture. They will still be in RAM, but not in the graphics card.

Right…the SDK LOD generator has a bug. It has two #4 lines.