3D programming outside of JME

I have netbeans on my computer, which has little to no support for this kind of stuff. in order to make programming more “independent” i am trying to simulate the cube project from the tutrorials here. only problem being, i don’t know how to do anything 3D with out this.

here is the most i know how to do on there:
[java]package myfirst3d;

import java.util.Scanner;

/**

• @author Joel - School
    */
    public class MyFirst3D {

static String save = null;
    /**

• @param args the command line arguments
      */
      public static void main(String[] args) {
      System.out.println(“Starting…”);
      login();
      }

public static void login()
    {
    System.out.println(“Enter your name:”);
    String UserName = new Scanner(System.in).next();
    System.out.println(“Now Enter your Password:”);
    String Password = new Scanner(System.in).next();
    if (“wabuilderman”.equals(UserName) && “hemphill”.equals(Password))
    {
    System.out.println("Welcome " + UserName + “. Loading game…”);
    if (save == null)
    {
    startGame();
    }
    else
    {
    continueGame();
    }
    }
    else
    {
    System.out.println(UserName + ", " + Password);
    System.out.println(“Incorrect Username or Password. Please try again”);
    login();
    }
    }

public static void startGame()
    {
    System.out.println("-- zzzzzzzzzz");
    new Scanner(System.in).next();
    System.out.println("‘o’ what, oh, you actually wanted to play someting… ok. one moment.");
    System.out.println("-
    - ‘YAWN’ zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz");
    }

public static void continueGame()
    {
    }
    }[/java]

Note: I recently found out that JME uses netbeans for some of what it does.
i found this out by looking in the files of the folder for JME

the jMEDK is built on top of netbeans, I also have no idea what your trying to achieve. If you want to use vanilla netbeans then:

https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:setting_up_netbeans_and_jme3

i am simply wanting to do the cube example in the tutorials for JME, the red cube. but i want to do it in normal netbeans, without JME libaries, i am simply wondering if i could view the class files of JME so that i could imate them.

You want to use jme without using jme libraries ?!?!?!? :o

Do you mean you want to use JME without the SDK? ie: you just want to use the JME libraries in Netbeans. Or do you really mean that you want to rewrite all of the JME libraries?

Terminology is important here.

I mean, we can already cast aspersions at the first desire (:)) but the second part is completely crazy.

i want to do the second, but not EVERYTHING in JME, only some, especialy the “simpleapplication” and the other important core functionalitys, i basicly want to use the JME CONCEPTS, but not really use JME. this is so that i can have some root level understanding of 3d programing, such as plain text programming.

Ok, plan on about two years to really get up to speed, I guess. I’m not sure we can help you, though.

Also, if you really want to understand the concepts of a 3D engine then either you should a) buy a book on the subject (many really good ones exist) or b) start with a software renderer like make an old quake engine or something to really learn the fundamentals.

The JME concepts are not that much different than every other scene graph. There are a few design choices that make it different than some but in many cases those are arbitrary.

…otherwise, yeah, it’s kind of crazy. You’d learn more and faster just using the engine and trying to figure out why it does certain things than you will beating your head against writing one from scratch.

oh, ok. it was mostly that i wanted to EVENTUALLY be able to write a very basic 3d program in a notepad and then have use the windows command prompt to compile and run it.
well thanks anyways.

PS: i just realized that the picture for your account is the same on of a person from greenfoot (a 2d oriented engine) who told me about JME.

PPS: How do you mark a topic as “Resovled”? never mind, i found out how.

@wabuilderman said: PS: i just realized that the picture for your account is the same on of a person from greenfoot (a 2d oriented engine) who told me about JME.

o_O Then he borrowed it without asking… I hand drew that picture on my whiteboard like 10 years ago.

Do you have a link?

Edit: Note: I know there’s nothing I can do about it and I don’t strongly care… but I’m curious who is using it and I’d like the opportunity to ask him nicely to pick something else if possible.

i can’t find him, but keep in mind, that was like two years ago + there are more than 200 topics, so i can’t find that easily + he probably already did change it, people change there faces on there ALOT.

EDIT: note: he probably just right clicked on your image and copied it. its not that terribly impossible for him to have gotten it.

@wabuilderman said: i can't find him, but keep in mind, that was like two years ago + there are more than 200 topics, so i can't find that easily + he probably already did change it, people change there faces on there ALOT.

EDIT: note: he probably just right clicked on your image and copied it. its not that terribly impossible for him to have gotten it.

Yeah, I know. I use it as my identity in a lot of places so it could have been picked up all kinds of ways. Still, because it’s like my signature, I like to appeal to peoples’ humanity to use something other than my icon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi

You can use a low level OpenGL binding for pedagogical purposes if JMonkeyEngine 3 does too much things for you, for example JOGL 2.

ok, thx.

The NeHe tutorials were at one time an awesome set of resources for learning OpenGL, but most of the methods it taught are now deprecated and better achieved in other ways. I don’t know what’s good these days, unfortunately.

This seems to be a nice site to learn about openGL. It has several basic tutorial which are very clear.

In the general case, this used to be the “gold standard” of game engine design books:

I don’t know how it compares now since there are so many books on the subject.

The OpenGl part is just the nuts and bolts… and the relatively simple part. It’s all of the other stuff that takes time.

while you guys are being very helpful, this subject is being beaten to death X-b (dead smile), i marked this as “resolved” a while ago. but still, thanks.