About getLocalTranslation().addLocal()

Hi,

If you’re trying to do this: my_node.getLocalTranslation().addLocal(my_vector);

Well, don’t. Because it doesn’t work.

Use this instead: my_node.setLocalTranslation(my_node.getLocalTranslation().add(my_vector));

kthxbye

Well the setter sets a refresh flag to recompute the worldtransfrom, if changing it directly that way it wont do that.

The basic tutorials say this explicitly, the SDK even underlines this as an error. So yes, you found out whats basic knowledge for jME.

B…BUT DUDE. Don’t you realize I’m opening the path to future wannabes who, like me - probably doing it wrong - prefer to directly find an answer to their specific questions rather than spending their lives reading and remembering by heart every single line of a tutorial which only contains a third of all information required to actually complete their JME project anyway?

It may not look like so, but with my very annoying posts, I have contributed for over 6 months now of asking stupid questions which I obviously couldn’t find an answer to. I’m sure /some/ of them will help other poeple out there :slight_smile:

kthxbai

@.Ben. said: B...BUT DUDE. Don't you realize I'm opening the path to future wannabes who, like me - probably doing it wrong - prefer to directly find an answer to their specific questions rather than spending their lives reading and remembering by heart every single line of a tutorial which only contains a third of all information required to actually complete their JME project anyway?

These same people who will spend hours searching the forum to find this post? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

On what planet are you living Paul! Most of my questions I had before, I spent at most 10 seconds to find the answer using a search engine. To me, it looks like you guys don’t even realize that these forums ARE the tutorials in the end.

@.Ben. said: On what planet are you living Paul! Most of my questions I had before, I spent at most 10 seconds to find the answer using a search engine. To me, it looks like you guys don't even realize that these forums ARE the tutorials in the end.

What I know is that we get plenty of questions that are directly answered in both the tutorials and a quick forum search. So the average new poster seems just as likely to use one or the other, read: not at all.

Well, if people don’t search forums AND don’t search the tutorials, well yeah, this is stupid. What I’m saying is: I’m more oriented towards puting the knowledge in the forum because topics are separate and case specific, which is very helpful in some cases, compared to the tutorials where you (sometimes) only get very scarse and generic knowledge, not applied at all or with very limited use cases.

OF COURSE I agree that people should at least try to search using one of the 2 methods before posting. But I’m convinced leading by example is better and faster.

I really love the maths for dummies, scenegraph for dummies, the tests, docs and javadocs, etc, but a lot of my questions also find answers from answers given to questions here… and some of us kinda read all questions/answers/posts and get a lot of their specific and general knowledge from posts here. For someone like me, it is a good reminder.

I do understand that the developers are aiming for the boards to be a spot for jme questions and more expert questions and so I wonder if the boards should have a special area for the noobs/medium knowledge people. That area could even have a sticky telling people the developers aren’t allowed to answer those questions… would then be the responsibility of the community to answer them.

I also wonder if there should be a post on the left titled “simple java questions” or something… politely explaining why it’s not a good idea to start with jme when you don’t know the basics of java, and pointing towards documents such as Bruce Eckel’s “thinking in java” and links towards websites for noob java developers. That way, such questions could be answered by pointing towards that post.

Just my opinions… could very well be idiotic :D.

I agree with all of your sentiments… but the people who would read such things or find the right forum category to post to are also not really the problem. Then you also get the “But I’m NOT a beginner” effect… where they proceed to ask a beginner question anyway because they have no idea how little they know yet. And then if we redirect them to the beginner section they will get all upset… surely no worse than we have now, though.

There is a metaphor in here somewhere:

In the same direction, there is irony here somewhere: