AMD 64, Gentoo Linux 64-bit, jME, lwjgl - does it work?

Hi there,

I’m going to buy a new computer and I’m still not sure which processor should I get. My system is Gentoo Linux so I was thinking about 64-bit processor - AMD 64. I’ve read a  post (http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=1428.msg11713#msg11713) claiming that jME will work on AMD 64 only with 32-bit operating system. Is it true?

I think there is a way how to run 32 bit applications in a 32-bit chroot, but I couldn’t find anything about Java (and jME) running in this mode. Does anyone have any experience with that? Until the end of this year, jME is one of the most important piece of software for me, so I really need to be sure that it will work :slight_smile:

Thanks for any help.

nuclid

I'm running jME on an AMD64 on a 64 bit OS (Windows XP64), but with a 32-bit JDK. To run with a 64 bit SDK, all the native libraries would have to be ported to 64 bit (could be as simple as a recompile though). As far as I know, on linux too, 32 bit apps run just fine on a 64 bit kernel, as long as you have all the 32 bit libs it needs of course. And without much loss of speed, or even some improvements.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and then I'll let you know how jME works in Linux on A64.