April (2014) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

@abies, they very well could if he used Rémy’s LightScatteringFilter, because even for my billboard trees they do scatter for every pixel of the picture (leaves, branches, whatever) just as if it were a 3D model.

@abies said: Are the rays of the sun actually blocked by single grass leaves or is it a coincidence that it looks that way?

As Ben says, yes, it’s the light scattering filter and yeah, each blade of grass will streak like that.

I’ve been writing an open-source random maze game with an Ancient Egypt theme. Here’s a screenshot:

My original intent was to create a demo for custom controls and appstates, but it grew too complex for that. I then made it an exercise in applying MVC principles with jMonkeyEngine. I’ve got it to where I’m satisfied with the overall structure.

Since I’m not terribly attached to the project, and am thinking about opening it up to contributions and seeing what happens. (Not today – watch for a future announcement on the forum.)

6 Likes

A new effect I’m working on. It’s like LightScattering, but it can be used on an arbitrary light source in the scene.
It’s not yet done, it’s kind of slow and there are still some issues, but it should get in the core eventually.
(the model is courtesy of @t0neg0d thanks)

6 Likes
@nehon said: A new effect I'm working on. It's like LightScattering, but it can be used on an arbitrary light source in the scene. It's not yet done, it's kind of slow and there are still some issues, but it should get in the core eventually. (the model is courtesy of @t0neg0d thanks)

That is really awesome looking.

The is a way of cheesing this effect by using an image + a billboarded quad. Not as fancy, but looks the same and is really fast.

If you want it to be dynamic, use 2 billboarded quads and rotate them in opposite directions when the camera moves. Then it looks exactly like you see from street lights as you move.

@.Ben. said: o i :D Nice work guys. Keep it up. For my part, I'm still working on a procedurally generated open world environment using a lot of other people's JME3 classes....

I really really like those coast lines. Do you mind telling me how you accomplished such realistic looking coasts? With my coasts I just interpolate between sea level and the land height at the point…It works, but it looks too smooth and there are no cool little coves like you have…

@pspeed said: Following up my previous pic that had the ugly wire frame grass plots and grid lines with something nicer:

Next up… trees.

That looks so cool. I am absolutely in love with the light scattering through the blades of grass =D

@nehon said: A new effect I'm working on. It's like LightScattering, but it can be used on an arbitrary light source in the scene. It's not yet done, it's kind of slow and there are still some issues, but it should get in the core eventually. (the model is courtesy of @t0neg0d thanks)

Wow. That is spectacular work.

@JacobAmaral : I’m looking forward to a first release of your game! =D

It’s my first game, called “MECH” ( i’m not sure about name, but in first place i came with it).
Genre: MOBA. So in my game will be 1vs1 2vs2 and 3vs3 teams. Like in LOL (league of legends) main task will be destroy main object, in my game it will be computer, this fancy one in screenshot xD Player will be able build his own robot model, I mean take body and put on guns, of course you need money to buy them so after each match player are getting some money.
I hope i will finish it ;D

4 Likes
@okelly4408 said: I really really like those coast lines. Do you mind telling me how you accomplished such realistic looking coasts? With my coasts I just interpolate between sea level and the land height at the point...It works, but it looks too smooth and there are no cool little coves like you have..

Hi @okelly4408, what part of the coasts exactly do you want information on? The water is Rémy’s water filter, the terrain is the HeightBasedTerrain and uses 4 different textures depending on the vertices height and those textures are blending in, so maybe that’s what you like about it? If you’re talking about the shape of it, then it’s just the fractal based heightmap, it doesn’t necessarily look good on all terrain chunk, it’s pretty much random. The rocks are a OBJ+MTL model.

EDIT: BTW, your Mars looking Voronoi fractal-like thing looks amazingly good.

I guess I’ll jump on the bandwagon here :smiley:

I’m working on a voxel city-building, survival game! The current WIP’s are an attempt at making the terrain hold more flat areas while keeping a unique look. The current terrain is between mountains and plains.

I originally wrote this game in C++ (learning the language) but ported it to JMonkey a couple months ago since Java is my first language. Been about 4 months in the making!!

Edges are eroded randomly (and messily) as of right now…I’ve got a bit of cleaning up to do with the terrain, that’s for sure :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hello monthly screenshot champs! Working on anything cool these days? Whether it’s the same thing as it was back when this thread started or something brand new, however big or small, please consider sharing it for the 2015 jMonkeyEngine showcase video:

Keep the WIPs coming!