(April 2017) Monthly WIP screenshot thread

This is a tropical environment I’m working on for use within a game, using SeaMonkey for the ocean and SkyControl for the sky plus a custom paging system with BatchNodes for the grass layers. The assets are ports from an online source I found, if you haven’t discovered them already check out https://www.cgtrader.com/3tdstudiosron they royalty free and pretty decent quality with multiple levels of detail. I had very little trouble cleaning them up in blender and importing them into JME.

16 Likes

This might be a nice add-on for your editor GitHub - Nehon/bvhretarget: test project for bvh loading and retargeting to arbitrary skeleton :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve finished reworking my character model and have been busy reworking all of my other models to match the same quality / skeleton. I have a lot more animation control now as well as much better control off how I add things like hair to the character.

12 Likes

Wow, this looks really cool!!!
Could you please tell me how exactly you now attach objects like hairs to the basic model?

1 Like

Yeah. Gameplay with the mad (bad animated) wolves. No physical violence.

8 Likes

I think I need to include some features from your editor to my editor :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a base skeleton I use for all of my humanoid characters. That skeleton has a bunch of extra bones for things like hair, wings, capes, etc. etc. I use a dummy model and the base skeleton to model everything like hair so it has the bone weights. Then when I want to say attach hair to the model I:

• Load the hair model and find the geometry node for the hair
  • Add the hair geometry to the node that the character model is on
  • Remove the skeleton control from character model
  • Recreate the skeleton control on the character model node

Since the hair already has the bone weights it will follow the animations.

3 Likes

I’ll ask Rémy and see what he thinks. Thanks!

1 Like

The future of weaponry ? banan AR-15

17 Likes

Well, at least we know what size it is.

2 Likes

Unfornately my exams are slowing my work, but i still had some freetime where i composed a short soundtrack for my upcoming android game :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Height field/procedural mesh generation experimentation and optimizations. Some obvious issues with the optimization part as seen in the 2nd shot.

12 Likes

My kids are officially on spring break now… though they haven’t really started to make anything yet. I’m now scrambling to get base features in place as I can in and among my dad-duties. (“Heheh… he said doodies…”)

Anyway, tonight I built in the grid that keeps track of what is placed where so that objects can’t overlap (beyond whatever overlap they allow)… I also made a pond object:

Until the kids create “mobs”, I have a limited number of existing animated mobs… one of them is a Frog that @nehon created for me some time back. If the kids come up with some idea for how a frog will behave differently than a monkey, we now have a spawner for them. Mostly I just had an idea and wanted to see how it would turn out.

The map collision stuff was all so that I can start giving proper behaviors to the mobs. Now I have the means to support object avoidance and path finding. That may have to be tomorrow’s task, though.

7 Likes

Sweet :blush:

Whose dad develops games with his kids?
You seem to be a cool daddy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My son is mega interested in writing software, but is equally impatient. I’m probably the worst teacher in history, which doesn’t make things easier, so kudos for getting them to sit down for more than 10 minutes.

1 Like

How old is your son? There are a bunch of visual programming game making tool things around where you drag and drop ‘code components’ kind of like UML diagram.

1 Like

Well, it remains to be seen if anything will come of it. But I have to try.

My son is also impatient and easily distracted. When I was his age, I had little else to do but goof around on the computer or watch whatever my mom was watching on TV.

2 Likes

He’s 10 going on 15. I try not to push too much, though. It should be fun, after all.

1 Like

Yep, and I had no internet or games to play either so I got an html book into my hands.
The Experience of “dominating” Machines, making them work for you was awesome.

However Times changed and even as adult its hard to be focused at Work. But at least the Patience improved :joy:

1 Like

sure has, its way easier to get distracted now, I even have it on my tablet for drag and drop time time wasting goodness.

2 Likes