(April 2024) Monthly WIP Screenshot Thread

Finished a SciFi room. Very happy with the results. :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Nice, I am getting Xmen vibes.

1 Like

roguelike rpg progress - procgen maps:

uses jmonkey, particlemonkey, wes and tamarin.
(thanks for everyone’s work on those!)

16 Likes

How interesting, an RPG game with JME3, the scenarios look very good (I like it).

Good luck with this project!

1 Like

Started adding small details via transparent textures. Think of chain link fences.

I was going to paint these textures by hand but baking them in blender is so much easier.

2 Likes

We are in the amazing Gen AI era and I’m testing a few leading models to generate simple 3D animations and games programs. The effort is to fine-tune the system & user prompts to a sufficient degree of creativity, efficiency and consistency.
In this demo I’m using Anthrop\c’s Claude Opus model to create s simple animation program of a flying dragon with a few spheres rotating around it.

The prompt to the model was:
“write a program showing a flying dragon rotate some spheres around it”
“rotate the spheres around the dragon by changing their position using cosines and sinus functions”

Claude’s result was:

d => dragon : pos (0,0,0) 
d.fly loop

var spheres = []
var radius = 5
var angle = 0
for (var i=0;i<10;i=i+1) {
  s => sphere : material="pond"
  spheres.push(s)
}

do
  for (var i=0;i<10;i=i+1) {
    var s = spheres[i]
    var x = radius * cos(angle+i*0.628)
    var y = 2 * sin(angle*0.8+i)
    var z = radius * sin(angle+i*0.628)
    s.move to (d.x+x, d.y+y, d.z+z) in 0.9 seconds async
  }
  angle=angle+0.55
while 1==1

The only thing I needed to change manually was replacing the command “pos” with “move to” for a smoother animation result.
This is the first step to final target of allowing non-programmers to create simple 3d games and animations using natural language commands.

8 Likes

OFF THE CHAIN!!
Optimized chains.

20 chain links:

medium poly - far

medium poly - close

low poly - far

low poly - close

Low Poly:
verts: 120 (160 decrease)
faces: 40 (200 decrease)
tris: 80 (400 decrease)

Medium Poly:
verts: 280
faces: 240
tris: 480

3 Likes

Looks fantastic! Any hint what the game is about? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!
It’s a fairly traditional turnbased roguelike, only more story-focused and open.
parts of the story are still in flux, so can’t tell much about it yet.
there’s a war with half a dozen factions that you have to navigate to get to the bottom of things.

4 Likes

Shoot it before it bites you. :smiling_imp:

Someone throw a big shoe at it !!!

Carry all weapons at once to increase damage. :joy:

10 Likes

Are you ready to unleash your game development potential?
The most interesting feature: a new Animation Editor to create new AnimLayers and configure the associated AnimMask. All the new features in the following video.
I hope the suggestions I am making to improve the SDK are helpful.

Edit:
Implementing Assimp/MonkeyWrench as the model loading solution for the editor. This will allow users to select configuration options and perform validation checks.

13 Likes

I just tested Rigify with GLTF format. It seems to pass, but I do see some shrinking of the feet. Maybe I need to toggle some settings. I’m running JMonkey 3.5.2 stable.
The green cube is testing geometry attachment (like a pistol).

If everything goes well this would greatly improve my character creation pipeline. I can’t wait to see the results.

Edit 2:

Baddie alert!

3 Likes

I have implemented some ground fog for my game editor.
Here is a screenshot showing it off.

16 Likes

Your editor is looking very nice.
Is the Animation Layer stuff part of the jMe code?

2 Likes

Hi @ndebruyn , thank you, yes it is all jME stuff.

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I am implementing a new Material Editor. During my development journey I learned a lot of things.
Main Features:

• Select the MaterialDef (.j3md) to be used.
  • Add/Remove parameters to/from the Material based on the selected MaterialDef.
  • Modify parameters (boolean, int, float, vec2, vec3, vec4, color…) of the Material at Runtime.
  • Change and display Material textures by selecting them from the project resource folder.
  • Change the displayed geometry.
  • Change the parameters of the AdditionalRenderState.
  • Generate the j3m file.

I am also thinking of implementing a shader node graph editor, but this challenge is very complicated. Here is a first prototype.

Maybe I could start with something simple like Blender Shader Nodes

With these tools completed, I will get back to work on some really interesting demos that I hope to show you soon. :wink:

13 Likes

Like and subscribe in youtube.

Edit:

Finished texturing an area. And added 2 elevators with animations.

7 Likes

Wow wow wow, jME and its community has got such amazing projects going.
Well done to all and keep the good work up.

4 Likes

What framework are you using for these nodes?

After some tweaking to what I wrote on last night’s live stream (added the up-texture support), I have a working 3D material:

No texture coordinates. Just three projected textures: side, side-cutaway, top-cutaway.

(Oh, and that mesh is actually square but warped in the shader to be cylindrical.)

The unwarped version:

10 Likes