Blaine ask about becoming developer

I got this message from forum user blaine - he already offered help in that thread with our svn configuration. But I only applied a small (most important) part of the suggestions, due to lack of time.

Here's the message:

blaine said:

Who do I send a request to for becoming a jME developer?

Credentials:  I've been a Java tech lead for many years.  In the open source realm, my SqlTool program, authorize.net API, and my JMX and JUnit HOWTO docs are very popular.  I'm a top-level admin and developer of the very popular HSQLDB database (rebranding to HyperSQL is imminent; my SqlTool program is distributed with HSQLDB).  I'm a Guru with UNIX, software configuration management, and most areas of Java and Databases.

Goals wrt. jME development:  I don't intend to design anything new until I get much further along, and I fully understand that one doesn't commit entirely new work without discussion and approval.  The only reason I'm requesting developer privs now is because there are several places where jME code is pleading for quick and easy fixes, esp. to error handling and Javadoc comments.  It would take far more work to explain what needs to be done than to just apply these non-controversial fixes.  In addition, I could optimize all of your Subversion file properties in about 10 minutes.  I also have no desire to touch the 1.x code baseline.

You can email me at blaine.simpson@admc.com if you wish, but be aware that I'm doing hardware upgrades on my mail server, so I will have email outages today and tomorrow.

Opinions?

He's been a member of the community a total of 11 days…I think that's extremely early to add someone as a developer.  It would seem in my experience the most important things about a developer are not found out  until they've spent some time in the community.  I would say at least require them to be a member for three months before consideration as a developer and perhaps also requiring some at least modest contributions either in bug-fixes and/or additions to the code.

Moderately off-topic question, but how long as DarkProphet here before he went mental?  Or, rather, how long before there were signs of disruption in the force? :slight_smile:

That's my problem as well (no contributions).

But he kind of request a svn-admin position…

I agree that it is too short of a time.  As a rule we have never given anyone developer access like that.  He can be helpful without direct write access to svn.

agree with above…does he even know anything about 3d?

Ok, same like I thought, still I wanted to post his request here. I'll explain that to him and ask him to provide patches and scripts (for svn config) instead.

I'd tell him to open up a thread in dev-general, and post the patches of trivial things there, and if they really are that trivial not to worry too much about "explaining" them.

If he really does come up with them, then that would qualify him for svn access after a while. He does seem to have good credentials, and offers to work in areas that we have identified ourselves as in need of attention… so it'd be nice if one of the 4 people with svn access would pay attention to his patches, if he's willing to work this way for now. (since he mentions he wants to focus on 2.0 only)

I don't think time should be measure before giving out svn access, it should be effort, quality/usefullness of contributions, and to some lesser extend credentials.

Agree, he still needs to prove himself like everyone else… although he very well could be on a fast track. We could use a developer that is mostly a maintainer. He just needs to go through the process.

agree…i would be happy if we could have different kinds of jme "improvers", like a regular sysadmin which takes care of boring svn maintenance etc. Another position could be web responsible for example. doesnt necessarily mean i would like them to be true developers though.

MrCoder said:

agree...i would be happy if we could have different kinds of jme "improvers", like a regular sysadmin which takes care of boring svn maintenance etc. Another position could be web responsible for example. doesnt necessarily mean i would like them to be true developers though.

That's a good idea imo! The problem with a svn admin is, that he necessarily has write access to the actual file content as well, so regarding permissions he would not be different from a developer.
Someone who is responsible for the web site would be great. Maybe we can find someone for this, probably already while the new website is created?

having write access is not as big of a problem as just spreading ideas a developer representative… like a receptionist at microsoft getting the title CEO and going out to talk about the future of microsoft. with the attention jME is starting to receive these days that is actually starting to be important…i think