.blend files no longer directly supported?

Hi folks, I recently updated my sdk to the latest, and noticed that I am no longer able to directly import .blend files, and they must first be converted to j3o files.

i.e. here is the error I get with .blend files

SEVERE: Uncaught exception thrown in Thread[LWJGL Renderer Thread,5,main]

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No loader registered for type “blend”

at com.jme3.asset.ImplHandler.aquireLoader(ImplHandler.java:199)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadAsset(DesktopAssetManager.java:265)

at com.jme3.asset.DesktopAssetManager.loadModel(DesktopAssetManager.java:410)

works fine when converting to j3o however :slight_smile:

Yeh, you should convert them before. You can add the jme3-libraries-blender library set but the blender import is way too much overhead for a game.

@normen , please explain because i am interested as well in directly importing .blend files without conversion. please explain what you mean by overhead… if i really REALLY wanted to have the blender functionality, what would my cost be?

You can load .blend files without conversion, , sure. But it will take minutes for the app to load. Probably doesn’t fit with the style of Android being all “slick” and everything within the touch of a finger.

Yeah, I know .blend should not be used…and I do in fact plan on using .j3o for the final product, but for development it used to support direct loading of .blend files, just seemed odd that that feature was removed…not big deal, just an extra step during development.

All external model formats are only a source for meshes and UV coords really, none of them can translate the “real” jme material (or any other) settings. And again, the feature wasn’t removed its just that you don’t have those libs on the classpath by default (another reason not to use it in games, its about 500kB just for importing those models). Also it did depend on some awt (desktop only) classes for some time, idk if thats still the case. At any instance its not good practice to use .blend files. Anything we develop in the future will expect you to not have any .blend files loaded directly in the game.

@normen said:
All external model formats are only a source for meshes and UV coords really, none of them can translate the "real" jme material (or any other) settings. And again, the feature wasn't removed its just that you don't have those libs on the classpath by default (another reason not to use it in games, its about 500kB just for importing those models). Also it did depend on some awt (desktop only) classes for some time, idk if thats still the case. At any instance its not good practice to use .blend files. Anything we develop in the future will expect you to not have any .blend files loaded directly in the game.

Ah yes, that's true. The loader does depend on AWT. This means the BlenderLoader in fact cannot be used inside Android, sorry.