Blender libraries and proxies

Hello,

I want to use blender as a level editor, so I tried importing a blender scene that contained a library (with objetcs declared as proxies) but it does not work, it does not evn give an error message

I tried importing a scene without proxies(simple linked libraries), the scene is converted, but the libraries objects referenced in the scene are missing…

is there a better way to do this ?

regards

Hm dont use a library?

Make your model gameready, wich basically means.

Only nodes and meshes, meshes triangulated, all modifiers applyied, everything uv mapped.
one should keep in mind that blender can do much more stuff than a typical game engine(but the game engine is designed to be faster at rendering).

I never said anything about exotic meshes or special blender features… :slight_smile: just simple things recognized by JME

so if you have 10 levels in your game, and you modify 1 asset, you’re screwed, you gotta update all 10 files
and I checked with Unity, it does not even load scene files, I cant believe people use such a workflow to create games

so far I am trying to write a python script that would export scene structures and lib infos
so I would recreate a whole level in JME from an XML, and also I t would allow to append map parts dynamicaly

the other option is to create a nice level editor, … wich I wont do :slight_smile:

Hi,

I also try to use blender as level editor, but I currenlty use a different (simple and limited )workflow :

1. in blender : in the level I only place place-holder (box), and use the name + custom property to set what item should be place
  2. in jme : after load the level, I use a SceneVisitor that replace placeholder by the model using the name and UserData (filled from custom properties)

But I would like to use blender more. So I started a blender plugin (to display jme into blender). I had to create another format in very (for network and file transfert). May be we can combine effort. What are your requirements/idea for the scene structure, lib info,… The format is in very alpha-stage, I hope to have something usable in 2015-01.

Hello David,

lol years ago, I did the same, place holders with names and properties :slight_smile:
but now my solution so far is a python script that exports the scene sctructure, and it is parsed with a sax parser to create the scene
so I can edit the game levels and model in blender, while using the kind features of JME importer

@david.bernard.31 said: Hi,

I also try to use blender as level editor, but I currenlty use a different (simple and limited )workflow :

1. in blender : in the level I only place place-holder (box), and use the name + custom property to set what item should be place
  2. in jme : after load the level, I use a SceneVisitor that replace placeholder by the model using the name and UserData (filled from custom properties)

But I would like to use blender more. So I started a blender plugin (to display jme into blender). I had to create another format in very (for network and file transfert). May be we can combine effort. What are your requirements/idea for the scene structure, lib info,… The format is in very alpha-stage, I hope to have something usable in 2015-01.

ok I worked all day for this, I got it working , the script is exporting libraries assets data to XML and JME is creating a scene from it
but I cannot leave localy modeled objects (in the main blend file) it has to be lib objects only
due mainly to the fact that JME wont convert a blend file if there are external data in it…
it could at least give an error or a warning…sound like a bug, or something put aside, but whatever