Bootmonkey - bootstrap your JME project

Thanks to @aegroto this setting is now available when creating a project, I’m gonna push a release today

1 Like

And done Release Bootmonkey 1.0.0 · Nehon/bootmonkey · GitHub
Also tagged the template project as 1.0.0
GitHub - Nehon/base-jme at 1.0.0

I’m very open to any suggestions to make this better

3 Likes

Hi … I tried BootMonkey. Seems like a cool idea. However, I didn’t find it intuitive to use. So, here are some comments from a lounge-sofa java programmer.

1. The app does not create a project that the SDK will open. No nice little monkey face in the SDK file list where you choose files to open. Maybe it’s missing a nbproject directory with required XML files? Is this template available? I know it’s supposed to be IDE agnostic, but I don’t see how to import the generated project into the SDK. There is no import option for this project type in the SDK.

2. Template: Neither Snapshot nor 1.0.0 seem to make any visible difference. Am I missing something?

3. Default package ends up being main.java.org.alfinete.blahblahblah. I would think that it should be org.alfinete.blahblahblah as in SDK.

4. There is also a Resource folder in the src folder. Is this for Android resources?

5. I think it needs a help button to open a readonly TextArea with basic help topics, such as mentioning what each button does or means. Things are not totally obvious.

6. Maybe the documenation should say that if you use the SDK, you shouldn’t use bootMonkey. Or maybe, it should mention exacly WHY you would choose to use BootMonkey. Since I don’t use Eclipse or IntelliJ, I can’t say if the generated project can be imported into those IDEs.

I hope those comments are helpful.

Cheers.

PS. Maybe it’s not for lounge-sofa java programmers. Hahaha.

well… kind of the point, If you use the SDK in the first place you don’t need bootmonkey. But if you really want to do it you need Gradle support in the sdk (which is a netbeans plugin you can install).

Yep the 1.0.0 is actually the last commit in the template so basically SNAPSHOT=1.0.0. But if there are new commits made in the template before a release the point is to be able to create a project from them.

That’s because you don’t have gradle support, and that’s a prerequisite to use this template. This is standard maven/gradle project structure. Your source java source folder is basically main.java.

This is standard maven/gradle project structure

mhh ok. maybe I’ll add it, but more in the project readme.md, not directly in the ui.

You can use bootmonkey if this talks to you. Else you’d better stick with the SDK.

Thanks for clarifying those points.

The mini2Dx version of 1.0.7 no longer exists and they can no longer use appBuilder MacOs due to it being removed from maven and all other repos.

To fix this I updated the mini2Dx version to 1.4.0 in the build.gradle.
I updated the files Proto.java and MainWindow.java to default to 3.2 of the engine.

I have a PR waiting if you OK these changes.

1 Like

can we use it for JME 3.3?

If you clone the project and fix the compilation errors, yes.

I still use it myself.

1 Like

I found something in the store and use that. But this bootmonkey is like more familiar with the sdk.