Bounding box issue solved. Is the "issue" a bug or a feature?

Greetings hard workers. Just curious about the Geometry class. If you create a geometry by doing:

new Geometry(“name”,mesh);

it’s different from creating it:

new Geometry(“name”);

then doing:

geometry.setMesh(mesh);

The difference is setBoundRefresh() is not called when adding the mesh through the constructor.

Just want to understand this. I have no idea why it’s set this way (what it implies etc.), or if its right or wrong. It caused some issues for me tho.

Btw - if i’m not clear - the lack of setBoundsRefresh() in the constructor caused my issues. I had to do setMesh() in order for it to work. I’m thinking maybe because the box is not properly “attached” before the geometry is transformed and updated otherwise (noticed a boundingbox.transform() in there). The reason I believe this is that positioning seemed to be the problem. The dimensions always came out right.

Cheers

//Androlo

That sounds like bug to me. Bounds should always be refreshed upon mesh modification

It makes sense to have the geometry update its bounds if a mesh is passed in through the constructor. However that constructor is called by a lot of classes in the core engine, that I am suspicious if there is a reason for it missing. My suspicion is that it is not though and it should be added.

And what I wonder… is why my new Geometry( “foo”, mesh ) geometries have proper bounds then… I wonder how they got them.

@pspeed said:
And what I wonder... is why my new Geometry( "foo", mesh ) geometries have proper bounds then... I wonder how they got them.

If you attach the created geometry to a Node, attachChild() will call setTransformRefresh() which in turns calls setBoundsRefresh() on the geometry.
However if you attach the geometry to a ViewPort (using attachScene), those methods won't be called. Perhaps that's the issue @androlo is experiencing.

…and that kids, is why we have a rootNode ^^

The problem was the bounding boxes wasn’t positioned properly when using the constructor. When using setMesh it works. setMesh solves it so I guess it’s not really an issue. At least not for me.

I think there’s something else happening that setMesh() by accident is able to fix.