Bowling

first glimpse at very unfinished bowling game: http://de2005.home.comcast.net

right-click on link and “save link as” then run saved link

http://xdmgames.com

Nice idea but for some reason I tend to get less than five frames per second. :expressionless:

oops, I developed this in linux and assumed it would run fine in windows but I guess I was wrong, I just tested in windows and I also get < 5 fps.

Ill fix this soon.

edit: i looked into this and it seems windows doesnt like

dynamicNode.generatePhysicsGeometry(true);

I ran it in linux and get 100+ fps with triangle collision on pins but in windows I get < 5 fps :? it also spits out this error

ERROR: JDWP Unable to get JNI 1.2 environment, jvm->GetEnv() return code = -2

JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_NO_JNI_ENV(183):  […/…/…/src/share/back/util.c:820]

:?

I'm having the same low FPS problem on windows. I'm using Java 6 if that makes a difference.

Very cool looking though!

ok, I just fixed the low fps problem should run much faster now :slight_smile:

? what was the issue mud

Neat game. Throw in some better textures and a player model and you've got yourself a nice small game, although it is a bit too easy. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I get only 30-50 fps with shadows enabled (without I get around 100) which is quite low.

? what was the issue mud

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=4513.0

It seems that triangle collision:

doesnt fare well on windows for some reason so I disabled it and put a series of cubes and spheres inside the pin model to control the collision.

Throw in some better textures and a player model and you've got yourself a nice small game, although it is a bit too easy. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that I get only 30-50 fps with shadows enabled (without I get around 100) which is quite low.

yeah shdawos are a fps killer and the only things casting shadows are the model, ball, and walls above pins and fps still gets clobbered. as for better textures and models im experimenting with adding different things to see the effect on fps. for example if I change the texture on the walls to a more complex one the fps goes WAY down. also I havent tweaked the friction properly yet so the pins are quite easy to knock down.  ;)

still FAR from done but I added some stuff to this game, you can spin the ball now, the collision is fixed, added reflection, and it even keeps score  :slight_smile: the GUI need more work I know. see first post for link

It looks spelendid!

Im curious how you did this. Could you summarize how long you took developing it, what your approach was, what problems you encountered and how you solved them, etc?

I'd like to learn from your experiences :slight_smile:

Thanks, I just added some GUI improvements today so its easier to set the spin and direction of the ball. Ive been working on this game for 5 months now and its just starting to look like a real game, it still needs a lot of work though. I started with a cube for the lane, a sphere for the ball, and some cubes for pins and I just try to improve it a little bit at a time. Ive encountered many problems and have worked through them by reading lots of forum posts and trying everything until something finally works  :slight_smile: may not be the quickest way to program but im learning as I go and it just gets easier the more you do it.

Hi everybody,

progress is slow but steady on bowling, I added a highscore list to website xdmgames.com - This website is for sale! - xdmgames Resources and Information.

your name and score are sent as soon as 10th frame is over.

Let the competition begin!  }:-@

Hi

The tried to run it, but it crashes. It is slow on the player entry screen, I have to hold the mouse button down on the start button for a couple of seconds and then it eventually responds. Then, after it's done the loading, it just closes the window.

I've found the webstart trace, and there is the following exceptions

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unexpected reply from glCheckFramebufferStatusEXT: 36061
   at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.checkFBOComplete(LWJGLTextureRenderer.java:433)
   at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.render(LWJGLTextureRenderer.java:384)
   at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLTextureRenderer.render(LWJGLTextureRenderer.java:325)
   at com.XDMGames.main.ReflectRenderPass.renderReflection(ReflectRenderPass.java:377)
   at com.XDMGames.main.ReflectRenderPass.doRender(ReflectRenderPass.java:265)
   at com.jme.renderer.pass.Pass.renderPass(Pass.java:90)
   at com.jme.renderer.pass.BasicPassManager.renderPasses(BasicPassManager.java:89)
   at com.XDMGames.main.Gamestates.IngameBowlingState.stateRender(IngameBowlingState.java:2533)
   at com.jmex.game.state.CameraGameStateDefaultCamera.render(CameraGameStateDefaultCamera.java:102)
   at com.jmex.game.state.GameStateNode.render(GameStateNode.java:83)
   at com.XDMGames.main.MainBowlingGame.render(MainBowlingGame.java:122)
   at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:80)
   at com.XDMGames.main.MainBowlingGame.main(MainBowlingGame.java:158)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: null (1286)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.swapBuffers(Display.java:567)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:583)
   at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer.displayBackBuffer(LWJGLRenderer.java:458)
   at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:83)
   at com.XDMGames.main.MainBowlingGame.main(MainBowlingGame.java:158)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.executeMainClass(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.doLaunchApp(Unknown Source)
   at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
cleaned

Hope that helps sort it.

Endolf

wow i'm impressed

it looks cool and plays well.

keep up the good work :slight_smile:

@Endolf

Looks like I need to add a checkbox to enable/disable reflections hopefully that will clear up your error

@Core-Dump

Thanks!

Looks like my high score page has a small glitch where it doesnt allow views of the new scores until I update as admin, hopefully ill have this fixed today.

edit: fixed, it was the page caching

mud2005 said:

It seems that triangle collision:

doesnt fare well on windows for some reason so I disabled it and put a series of cubes and spheres inside the pin model to control the collision.

I can only quote myself:
Quote:
Use Linux

BTW: games don't seem to work for me :(. What does XDM actually mean? X Display Manager?  :D
BTW: games don't seem to work for me. What does XDM actually mean? X Display Manager?

no it doesnt really mean anything, do all the jme examples run on your comp? even the water ?

jme webstart seems to crash, downloaded examples all work. Your games simply don't start.

I get errors trying to run the webstart indicating that different jars are missing/cannot be downloaded. Physics late yesterday, now jmeGUI.jar. hth.

I just got an error also then I tried launching a second time and it worked. Seems to be having trouble downloading jar from server.Im not sure what the problem is but Im going to look into it today.