BSc Final Year Project

Hi all,

After more than 6 months, I am close to finishing my final year project (a Vessel Tracking System). Here a preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQKkla15UeI

I’d like to thank all you monkeys – the project would look a lot worse without you guys. Also, thanks to everybody who endured an answered my (often times silly) questions.

@Normen: Like I said, I’ll write a wiki entry etc over the next week or so.

Thanks and a happy friday to all.

6 Likes

Looking really cool! I hope it comes to good use.

Man, this looks awesome, I didn’t understand everything but then again I am not supposed to navigate ships :smiley: All the 2D stuff is done in jME3 too? Or is that swing?

Thanks! Wouldn’t have been possible without you guys.

The screen-cast is at a crappy resolution though – I’ll have to re-take some footage.

The 2D is done using Swing. I wrote a Swing chart drawing component for that.

I’ll need to work a bit more on the weather system and add more connection capabilities (so far only METAR feeds and Davis Weather Station feeds are supported). I also hope to have it able to connect to radar feeds eventually (so you can have several overlays for example. i.e. AIS + Radar – just like the military AIS monitors have). Still lots to do!

…also, I just noticed that the intro credits pass rather quickly. Time for a re-make.

Being in the PC simulation world that focuses mainly on training Sailors/ Soliders, I must say great job. You should really look into selling your work, or getting hired at a company that develops this kind of material. Government pays top dollar for that kind of stuff, especially because it has the 3d eye candy.

Thank you scrubalub and rickard! Nice to hear that people like it.

I was interning at a company developing simulation, marine navigation systems and UAV) for 6 months last summer and that’s how I got into VTS systems. The system itself will be used for research purposes by the company’s R&D lab (hence me having two supervisors: industrial and academic) and hopefully my work will be carried forth in some form or another.

Scrubalub, which company are you working for if you don’t mind me asking? There are very few companies in our domain, so it may well be that our companies are partners (or competitors) in some form or another.

EDIT: Removed company name (upon request).

Looks great!

Congratulations !

I have a question at the very beginning there is a underwater effect, with scatterings, is it something done with the engine?

Thanks.

No, that’s just an intro video template.

oh ok :stuck_out_tongue:

anyway great work! :wink:

@javatar can you please upload it to any other file hosting service?

Edit : DropBox is great!

A bit late, but as promised:

1. Initial JME Wiki entry draft for the nav module that I contributed earlier on this year. I uploaded a .pdf and .text version to rapidshare: https://rapidshare.com/files/121348863/jme_wiki_article.zip
  2. Submitted the aforementioned article to the European Conference of Navigation. Here the abstract as promised:

EDIT: Can’t release abstract in public until June. Removed. Sorry :confused:

(by Gebruers (supervisor), Jakobus (myself) and Tabirca (supervisor), alphabetical order)

We’ll find out mid June whether it’s been accepted.

Why? I can download it just fine.

i can’t , the “slow download” in rapid share doesn’t work, at least for me, it’s freeze…

normem, could you upload to another hosting service?

thank’s

Here the .tex:

[xml]

documentclass[10pt]{report}

usepackage{graphicx} % needed for including graphics e.g. EPS, PS

usepackage{wrapfig}

usepackage{amsmath}

usepackage{pdfpages}

usepackage{alltt}

usepackage{longtable}

usepackage{color}

usepackage{stmaryrd}

usepackage{subfigure}

begin{document}

section{Introduction to Marine Navigation}

subsubsection{Terms, Conventions and Definitions}

textbf{Charts} are defined as “graphic representations of areas of the earth for use in marine or air navigation whereby nautical charts depict features of particular interest to the marine navigator"cite{Bowditch}.

textbf{Prime Meridian} designates the Greenwich meridian as of 1884.

textbf{Distance} is designated in nautical miles whereby one nautical mile corresponds to one meridian arc minute (1,852 metres) at the equator.

textbf{Sailing} refers to various mathematical methods for determining course, distance, and position.

textbf{Speed} refers to the rate of motion, or distance per unit of time and is measured in knots (kn). One knot is equal to one nautical mile per hour.

subsubsection{Coordinates}

The purpose of coordinates is to define a distinct position on earth. For the purpose of this project, only latitude and longitude are of importance, although the reader should be aware that other coordinate systems exists such as UMT (Universal Transverse Mercator) and UPS (Universal Polar Stereographic).

Latitude is the angular distance from the equator, measured northward or southward along a meridian from $0^circ$ at the equator to $90^circ$ at the polescite{Bowditch}. Within aviation and maritime navigation, latitude is designated north (N) or south (S) to indicate the direction of measurement. An equally valid notation designates north (N) to be positive and south (S) to be negative. For example $18^circ$ N becomes 18 whilst $18^circ$ S becomes -18.

Longitude is the angular distance between the prime meridian and the meridian of a point on the earth, measured eastward or westward from the prime meridian through $180^circ$. It is designated east (E) or west (W) to indicate the direction of measurementcite{Bowditch} however similar to angular measurements from the equator, may be expressed in terms of negative (W) and positive (S). For example $18^circ$ E becomes 18 whilst $18^circ$ W becomes -18.

begin{wrapfigure}{r}{8cm}

centering

includegraphics[scale=0.8]{img/globe_lat_long.png}

caption{Illustrated latitude ($phi$) and longitude ($lambda$). Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Inc.}

label{Lat/Long illustration}

end{wrapfigure}

It is worth noting that degrees can be further subdivided into minutes, whereby one degree equals 60 minutes. Minutes in turn are subdivided into seconds whereby each minute equals 60 seconds. Latitude and longitude coordinates are therefore typically specified as degrees ($^circ$), minutes (’) and seconds (”). For example: $1^circ$ 2’ 3" W meaning 1 degree, 2 minutes and 3 seconds West. This in turn can be translated into decimal notation whereby degrees are expressed as a decimal fraction: therefore $1^circ$ 2’ 3" W would become -1.034167. Alternatively these angular measurements may be converted to radians (in which case they would be expressed as a signed fraction of $pi$).

The difference of latitude between two places is the angular length of arc of any meridian between their parallels. That is, it is the numerical difference of the latitudes if the places are on the same side of the equator or the sum of the latitudes if the points are on opposite sides of the equator.cite{Bowditch}

Similarly, the difference of longitude between two places is the shorter arc of the parallel or the smaller angle at the pole between the meridians of the two places. If both places are on the same side (i.e east or west) of Greenwich, then difference of longitude is the numerical difference of the longitudes of the two places; otherwise the difference of longitude is their numerical sum (unless of course this exceeds $180^circ$. In that case it is $360^circ$ minus the sum).

Difference in longitude and latitude is of particular importance and will be elaborated upon in Chapter 3. textit{Implementation}.

subsubsection{Meridional Parts}

As described by Bowditch, Meridional parts are “units of latitude that have been adjusted to compensate for the distortion that results from projecting a three-dimensional globe onto a two-dimensional Mercator chart”.

subsubsection{Bearing}

In marine navigation, bearing is defined as “the direction one object is from another object, usually, the direction of an object from one’s own vessel”. Note that this is not to be confused with the equivalent term within aviation were bearing refers to “the actual (corrected) compass direction of the forward course of the aircraft.”

subsubsection{Heading and Course}

Heading is the direction in which a vessel is pointed and is expressed as degrees from 0 to 359.

Course is the over ground track in which a vessel moves. With wind, water movement and steering error, heading and course are not necessary equal.

subsubsection{Mercator Projection}

label{sec:mercator}

Mercator projections are a standard within nautical charts an represent rhumb lines (a.k.a loxodromes) as straight segments. A mercator projection is of non-linear scale as it accounts for distortion in latitude as one moves away from the Equator and towards the poles (with the poles being defined as infinity. This notion is illustrated to the right by figure 1.2). These distortions arise from the fact that the earth is an oblate spheriod i.e. a sphere with a flattened top and bottom (the poles). Therefore, as one moves away from the equator, nautical metrics skew to the extend whereby the length of one degree of latitude along the poles covers approximately 1 percent more distance than at the equator.

section{Chart Projection}

A Mercator projection is defined by its meridians and parallels, both of which are expanded at an equal ratio with increasing latitude. This expansion is due to the distortion that results from projecting an oblate spheroid onto a two-dimensional surface (see introductory notes above) and equates to the secant of the latitude in addition to a correction for this distortion. Note that the secant of $90^circ$ is infinity, and therefore Mercator projections cannot include the poles (thus the mercator projection employed here stops at $85^circ$ North and South of the equator).

Rhumb lines appear as straight lines.

The projection calculations are handled by the texttt{MapModel2D} class, in the case of 2D, and by texttt{MapModel3D}, in the case of a 3D projection. Fundamentally both projections function in the same manner, with their only real differences being that texttt{MapModel3D} introduces an extra co-ordinate (z) and the replacement of the texttt{toPixel()} method with texttt{toWorldUnit()} which converts a latitude/longitude coordinate object into (x,y,z) world units as opposed to pixel (x,y) coordinates.

The core functionality of the entire system relies on the accurate conversion of latitude/longitude into pixels/world units and vice versa. These conversions are handled by texttt{toPixel()}, texttt{toWorldUnit()} and texttt{toPosition()} respectively.

Note that all sailings used by this class are located inside the texttt{NavCalculator} class and will be elaborated upon in the next section of this chapter.

subsection{Minutes per pixel / Minutes per World Unit}

The number of pixels or world units per minute serves as a baseline for all coordinate conversions and is derived by dividing the total number of minutes of longitude composing the chart (i.e. 360 * 60) by the width of the canvas on which to render the projection (aka viewport):

begin{verbatim}

minutesPerPixel = (mapWidthInLongitude * 60) / (double) viewportWidth;

end{verbatim}

subsection{toPixel}

Unlike commonly assumed, this method is not derived from the inverse Gudermannian function. Accepting a set of latitude/longitude coordinates encapsulated in a texttt{Position} object as a parameter, the method returns the equivalent pixel (x, y) encapsulated as a texttt{Point} object. This conversion can be summarized as followscite{Gebruers2}:

1. Get the distance between the given position’s longitude coordinate and the chart’s longitude centre.

2. Convert the obtained distance into pixels by dividing it with the number of pixels that are contained within one minute. Refer to it as textit{distanceInPixels}.

3. Calculate the x-coordinate by subtracting or adding it to the canvas’ x-centre coordinate (the canvas’ x-centre coordinate being the canvas width divided by two) depending on the location of the position itself and the chart’s centre: That is, if the chart is centred west of the prime meridian and if the position to be converted is west of the centre, then the resulting x-coordinate is the difference between the x-centre and the textit{distanceInPixels} obtained in step 2 above. If however the centre is West and the position is east of the centre, then the resulting x-coordinate equates to the sum of the x-centre and its textit{distanceInPixels}. The opposite is true for an easterly centre and a position west of this centre or an easterly centre and a position east of this centre.

4. For the y-coordinate, the difference in meridional parts between the chart’s latitude centre and the position’s latitude serves as a baseline. Convert the difference to pixels by dividing it by the number of pixels contained within one minute. Refer to it as textit{dmp}footnote{By default, the difference in meridional parts is always given in minutes}.

5. Similar to step 3 above, calculate the y-coordinate by subtracting or adding it to the canvas’ y-centre coordinate (the canvas’ y-centre being the canvas height divided by two) depending on the location of the position itself and the chart’s centre: That is, if the centre is north and the position is north of the centre, then the resulting y-coordinates equates to the difference between textit{dmp} and the y-centre coordinate. If however the centre is north but the position is south of the centre, then the resulting y-coordinate equates to their sum. The opposites are true given that the centre lies in the southern hemisphere.

The following converts a latitude/longitude coordinate pair into a JME world-unit vector:

begin{verbatim}

try {

int worldWidth = 800;

MapModel3D m = new MapModel3D(worldWidth);

Vector3f v = m.toWorldUnit(new Position(-53, 8.0));

} catch (InvalidPositionException e) {

e.printStackTrace();

}

end{verbatim}

To convert world units into latitude/longitude coordinates, use the map model’s toPosition method:

begin{verbatim}

try {

int worldWidth = 800;

MapModel3D m = new MapModel3D(worldWidth);

Position pos = m.toPosition(new Vector3f(10, 10, 10));

System.out.println("Latitude: " + pos.getLatitude() + " Longitude: " + pos.getLongitude());

e.printStackTrace();

}

end{verbatim}

Navigational calculations are performed inside the texttt{NavCalculator} class.

subsection{Mercator Sailing}

Mercator sailing is defined as 'the process of solving problems involving course, distance, difference of latitude and difference of longitude, by considering them in relation to a Mercator chart’cite{Bowditch}. Essentially, this refers to the plotting of a rhumb linefootnote{A rhumb line is a line crossing all meridians of longitude at the same angle, i.e. a path derived from a defined initial bearing. That is, upon taking an initial bearing, one proceeds along the same bearing, without changing the direction as measured relative to true north.cite{Bowditch}} on a Mercator chart whereby the rhumb line will appear as a straight line. That is, given a constant bearing $beta$ north of the rhumb line, longitude $lambda_{0}$ where the line passes the equator, $lambda_{1}$ being any longitude point of the rhumb line, and $phi$ being any latitude point on the rhumb line then its Mercator projection can be derived as:

$x = lambda_{1}$

$y = m(lambda_{1} - lambda_0)$

where slope $m$ is $cot(beta)$, then $lambda$ and $phi$ can be expressed as

$x = lambda_{1}$

$y = tanh^{-1}(sin(phi)$

$phi = sin^{-1}(tanh(m(lambda_{1} - lambda_{0})))$

That is, $tan(course) = (difference in longitude) / (difference in meridional parts)$ and $distance =$newline

$(difference in latitude / cos(course))$ where the difference in meridional parts is defined in terms of a Clarke Spheroid.

This is implemented as follows where texttt{RLSailing} and texttt{Position} are wrapper classes.

begin{verbatim}

public RLSailing mercatorSailing(Position p1, Position p2) {

double dLat = computeDLat(p1.getLatitude(), p2.getLatitude());

if (dLat == 0) {

RLSailing rl = planeSailing(p1, p2);

return rl;

}

double dLong = computeDLong(p1.getLongitude(), p2.getLongitude());

double dmp = (float) computeDMPClarkeSpheroid(p1.getLatitude(), p2.getLatitude());

trueCourse = (float) Math.toDegrees(Math.atan(dLong / dmp));

double degCrs = convertCourse((float) trueCourse, p1, p2);

distance = (float) Math.abs(dLat / Math.cos(Math.toRadians(trueCourse)));

RLSailing rl = new RLSailing(degCrs, (float) distance);

trueCourse = rl.getCourse();

return rl;

}

end{verbatim}

where $dmp$ refers to the difference in meridional parts.

subsection{Difference in Meridional Parts}

Meridional parts are units of latitude that have been adjusted to compensate for the distortion that results from projecting an oblate spheroid onto a two-dimensional surface.

Although other datums (such as WGS 84) are equally valid, the navigation module performs all calculations within the context of the Clarke spheroid of 1880 which has an equatorial radius of 6,378,249.145 meters, a polar radius of 6,356,514.870 meters and an inverse flattening of 293.465 meters.

The meridional part for any latitude $L$ is therefore defined as:

$M = 7915.704468 * log(tan(45 + (L/2)))
  • 23.268932 * (sin(L))
  • 0.052500 * (sin(L))^3
  • 0.000213 * (sin(L))^5$

Where texttt{m1} and texttt{m2} refer to the meridional parts of the offset and destination point respectively, the difference of meridional parts is calculated as $| m_{1} - m_{2} |$ if both points are north, or south of the equator or as their sum if one of the points is north and the other south of the equator:

begin{verbatim}

public static double computeDMPClarkeSpheroid(double lat1, double lat2) {

double absLat1 = Math.abs(lat1);

double absLat2 = Math.abs(lat2);

double m1 = (7915.704468 * (Math.log(Math.tan(Math.toRadians(45
  • (absLat1 / 2)))) / Math.log(10))
  • 23.268932 * Math.sin(Math.toRadians(absLat1))
  • 0.052500 * Math.pow(Math.sin(Math.toRadians(absLat1)), 3)
  • 0.000213 * Math.pow(Math.sin(Math.toRadians(absLat1)), 5));

double m2 = (7915.704468 * (Math.log(Math.tan(Math.toRadians(45
  • (absLat2 / 2)))) / Math.log(10))
  • 23.268932 * Math.sin(Math.toRadians(absLat2))
  • 0.052500 * Math.pow(Math.sin(Math.toRadians(absLat2)), 3)
  • 0.000213 * Math.pow(Math.sin(Math.toRadians(absLat2)), 5));

if ((lat1 <= 0 && lat2 <= 0) || (lat1 > 0 && lat2 > 0)) {

return Math.abs(m1 - m2);

} else {

return m1 + m2;

}

}

end{verbatim}

begin{figure}[!h]

begin{center}

includegraphics[scale=0.3]{img/mercator_grid_3d.png}

end{center}

caption{A screenshot illustrating the 3D Mercator Grid.}

end{figure}

subsection{Course Conversion}

The conversion of a true course to its equivalent compass course (i.e. conversion of true course to the targets course over ground (COG) where ‘true course’ is defined as the course to be steered from true northfootnote{True North being the direction defined by the geographic North Pole. Hence, true course is the angle between north and the target’s track.}) as used by the texttt{mercatorSailing} method is achieved by subtracting the course variation from the true course, where variation is the angular difference between true north and the direction of the Earth’s magnetic field (consequently variation is termed East or West depending on the target’s position relative to true north).

Given the true course between two positions, the COG is calculated by calling NavCalculator.convertCourse(tc, p1, p2)

subsection{Difference in Latitude}

The difference in latitude depends on the hemisphere in which both positions are can be determined by calling NavCalculator.computeDLat(lat1, lat2).

subsection{Difference in Longitude}

Similar to the difference in latitude, the difference in longitude depends on which side of the prime meridian both positions are in and can be determined by calling NavCalculator.computeDLong(long1, long2).

subsection{Bearing}

The direction that one target is from another. Given the latitude of two points ($phi_{0} and phi_{1}$) and the longitude of two points($lambda_{0} and lambda_{1}$), bearing ($theta$) is defined as follows:

Let $dLon$ be the difference in longitude of $lambda_{0} and lambda_{1}$, then

$x = (sin(dLon) * cos(phi_{1})$

$y = cos(phi_{0}) * sin(phi_{1}) - sin(phi_{0}) * cos(phi_{1}) * cos(dLon))$

$theta = 2 arctan frac{y}{sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2} + x}}$

$theta = atan2(y, x)$

Which can be determined as follows:

begin{verbatim}

try {

double bearing = NavCalculator.computeBearing(new Position(-53.6, 8.1), new Position(-53, 8.5));

e.printStackTrace();

}

end{verbatim}

begin{thebibliography}{9}

bibitem{Bowditch}

Nathaniel Bowditch (1995),

emph{“The American Practical Navigator”,}.

United States Government, National Ocean Service Publishing.

bibitem{Gebruers2}

Gebruers C.,

emph{“JMarine”,}.

end{thebibliography}

end{document}

[/xml]

And here the .zip:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2701091/jme%20wiki%20article.zip

Hhmmzz…

might need to setup a monkey download server soon…

Other then that, great job. Looks like a LOT of hours went into that one.

Nice work @javatar :wink:

Thanks guys :slight_smile: