Bug: jME 3.0 beta SDK crashes on linux

Test case:

1. Run SDK 3.0 beta with some preopened project (in this case wass from tut “HelloNode”);
  2. Close project.
  3. Tray to create new project (in this case from tut “HelloLoop”).
  4. After Finish button SDK crashes with

the stack trace from command line:

variable@variableLaptop:~/Desktop$ ./jmonkeyplatform.desktop

./jmonkeyplatform.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found

./jmonkeyplatform.desktop: line 3: SDK: command not found

OGL: Throttling update loop.

EDT: addNotify

OGL: Enter showing state.

OGL: Visible. Create strategy.

OGL: Ceased throttling update loop.

EDT: componentResized 959, 546

The program ‘java’ received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.

The error was ‘BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)’.

(Details: serial 10188 error_code 3 request_code 20 minor_code 0)

(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;

that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.

To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line

option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful

backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

AL lib: alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

My system is :
Release unstable (sid) 64-bit
Kernel Linux 3.2.0-4-amd64
GNOME 3.4.2

Java:
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

Sometimes it crashes and shuts down for no reason when opening other project or by creating new ones.

Use RC2 the 3.0 Beta doesn’t receive any updates anymore anyways

The only things you can really do is check the logs, mess around with settings in the SDK, check if your Xorg is updated, try switching to sun java if using openjdk or switching to openjdk if using sun java, or, if you have a windows partition, just accept that you’re going to have to use windows, like i did

1 Like

Also note the troubleshooting section in the manual.

I’ve seen the exact same thing on RC2 (and RC1 and Beta), Debian 64bit, nVidia drivers (several versions), both Oracle JDK6 and Oracle JDK7 and this isn’t the first time linux crashes have been reported on these forums so it’s been around a while.

“EDT: componentResized 959, 546

The program ‘java’ received an X Window System error.”

The SDK just crashes without warning and I can see nothing in the SDK logs. Like the JVM aborted. The only time I’ve managed to catch some indication is when running from a terminal like variable did and then I’ve seen that message.

It has never happened when using the pure netbeans-parts (editor et.c) but when using the scene composer, material editor and such. I have a hunch it happens when opening dialog windows but I can’t really tell. For example when in the material editor I click to select an image for e.g. diffuse map it just dies. When it crashes like that I restart the SDK and do the exact same thing without problems, selecting the same material file and so on. It has crashed like this both with or without the OpenGL window opened behind but I guess the material editor also uses OGL?

Never been able to reproduce it doing the same thing twice but it happens too often to be just a fluke. It has the feeling of a native crash like in the native X/AWT and/or in conjunction with LWJGL and maybe Compiz or some such. Really hard to get to grip on and hard to find a workaround I guess.

It has never happened in my applications, only the SDK so I would guess it is something about the window handling.

I don’t own windows and given the recent troubles with LWJGL on OSX it’s a bit of a rock-hard place situation.

It seems your Java / X Window System setup is broken then. You’re running in AWT panels mode which means any 3D rendering is being done in pure Swing as a regular light-weight component. Unless somehow Compiz or your graphics driver interferes with Java/Swing I don’t see any way of this happening normally.

That would mean we both have separately broken X in the same way so that affects the SDK (and only the SDK) so that it produces the exact same error. I guess it could happen. More likely I would think is perhaps a bug somewhere in the native peer handling in JVM awt/swing. Maybe exposed by some uncommon window handling. I’m not knowledgeable about how the SDK renders the 3D but I speculate that it must have some GL Context and some native peer somewhere (like the JFrame and JDialogs). As said, really hard to get a grip on.