Building jme3 from source with eclipse [partial solved]

Hi,



building on commandline from source and using the libs in eclipse works for me. But it would be much more comfortable to build the source in my IDE eclipse. All my trys failed so far. At the moment I downloading netbeans in hope to find some information how I can set the properties in eclipse to get it to work.



I looked around this forum, but it seems there is no real eclipse support. If there is anyone who is interested in a working eclispe project please feel free to support. Thx.



Edit:



This is the way I solved it. I would be glad id some expert comment it:


  1. svn checkout http://jmonkeyengine.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/engine jme3
  2. Eclipse: File → New → Java Project
  3. Disable “Use default location”
  4. Set Location: …/where/you/downloaded/jme3
  5. Press Finish - an Error appears http://i.imgur.com/OnBzS.png
  6. Set “test-data”, “src/core-data” and “src/bullet-native” as source folders.



    Now you can start the testchooser and test.



    Eclispe: Indigo Service Release 2 Build id: 20120216-1857



    There are still some errors in the project and I think some tests will fail. I think it has something to so with the libs, that are double in the project. One time for desktop java and a second time for android.

Seriously, I don’t understand people that desperately want to use Eclipse but don’t even know how to use it right :?

Anyway if you had your IDE of choice under control this page would contain all info you need: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:jme3_source_structure

@normen said:
Seriously, I don't understand people that desperately want to use Eclipse but don't even know how to use it right :?
Anyway if you had your IDE of choice under control this page would contain all info you need: https://wiki.jmonkeyengine.org/legacy/doku.php/jme3:jme3_source_structure


Well, that is the way some people learn things. If you are new you have to start somewhere. As you see I solved it and post my solution. Other people with similar problems can use it. So, where is the problem?

I think my solution is not perfect, but it works for now. If I find out more I will post it again.

So in addition to OpenGL, Game development, jME3 and whatnot you also want to learn Eclipse? :slight_smile: Anyway your solution is not right, test-data core-data and bullet-native as source folders doesn’t make much sense. As said, the link I gave tells you how the source is structured and what you need to compile together. You need to create separate projects for android, bullet native and bullet.

@normen said:
You need to create separate projects for android, bullet native and bullet.


This information was useful. Thx.

The other things, what someone want to do, what someone is able to do and what his steps to reach the goal are, .... that is not your part and only results in conflicts if you talk to people in this way. So, please stop it.
@usrr said:
The other things, what someone want to do, what someone is able to do and what his steps to reach the goal are, .... that is not your part and only results in conflicts if you talk to people in this way. So, please stop it.

Its genuine interest, nobody could ever come up with a better argument than "I like the UI better". I wrote the SDK so I am interested in what actually is missing for these people. Its not like setting up sources or a class path in eclipse is occult knowledge and I'm sure many people happily use Eclipse for jME3. So I don't mind you using Eclipse, please just don't ask where to put your assets. :P

I use Eclipse :wink:

I like the UI better… and the numerous Java plugins I use… and it feels more stable than Netbeans IMO… And I like to understand the code behind the tools, so no SDK for me.



Maybe I can try to write a tutorial on how to use jMonkey on Eclipse ?

@ozonegrif said:
I use Eclipse ;)
I like the UI better... and the numerous Java plugins I use... and it feels more stable than Netbeans IMO... And I like to understand the code behind the tools, so no SDK for me.

Maybe I can try to write a tutorial on how to use jMonkey on Eclipse ?


it isn't rocket science and I am not the best coderdeveloper, just feels more flexible to me I've had my fair share of WTF and BWDMC (dont ask ;) ...moments with jmp ....which I hasten to add is not an indictment of JMP as much as an inability to use it properly with my preferred way of working, also the inlinein file search allows me to learn and understand what code in jme does or find an appropriated examples of doing stuff that might already be contained in the code

You can navigate the jme source in the SDK as well… From all I know there is no function in Eclipse that doesn’t exist in NetBeans. Anyway, I don’t want to discuss Eclipse, and I have no way to add “mcbeths‘ preferred way of working” (does this have to do with the fact that Eclipse happily compiles projects with broken code? :stuck_out_tongue: Even that NB can do as well) or make ozone “understand the code” so nothing to do here for me :wink:

@usrr said:
that is not your part and only results in conflicts if you talk to people in this way. So, please stop it.


When you come here and complain that it's not working and expecting us to "fix it for you" because you don't know how to use your chosen platform with a tool that we DO NOT support, well I say you're getting what you deserve.

I'm frankly flabbergasted by those of you guys who only wants to use Eclipse as you're missing out on a ton of plugins designed from the get-go to work in tandem with the SDK. It is your choice but don't expect us to troubleshoot and fix it for you.

This isn't a down vote to Eclipse. It's fine if you guys like it, but please, don't come crying in here that it doesn't work because it wasn't designed to be plug-and-play with jME3.

/rant

To me, it’s not even the Eclipse experts that frustrate me. If I’d taken the time to learn all of the odd in and outs of Eclipse, I might be reluctant to give up that IDE-specific knowledge, too. But those guys already know the platform and know how to make it work.



It’s the Eclipse noobs that are frustrating. If you don’t have invested knowledge in Eclipse then I don’t understand the motivation against just using JMP/SDK. When I started with JME, I’d never used Netbeans or the SDK before… and it only took a few minutes to build my first project and start it running. One click deployment was also a nice surprise.

Honestly, I see no reason whatsoever in any way, shape or form to go with something else than the SDK.



I’m trying to come up with a metaphor, but it’s like a nose in the middle of the face. It’s so obvious the gains the sdk offers compared to using anything else than any metaphor is lost.

@normen said:
You can navigate the jme source in the SDK as well.. From all I know there is no function in Eclipse that doesn't exist in NetBeans. Anyway, I don't want to discuss Eclipse, and I have no way to add "mcbeths‘ preferred way of working" (does this have to do with the fact that Eclipse happily compiles projects with broken code? :P Even that NB can do as well) or make ozone "understand the code" so nothing to do here for me ;)


that to me is a plus especially since "broken" code could be completely unrelated too something else I'm doing at the moment............really why should my entire testing environment not work because a non critical (in that moment) piece of code has red Xs , I mean I've been able to work while svn was in a minor state of 'flux" due to this so I dont mind it at all other than that its just familiarity I would never ask that jmp be change to suit me even if I could which I can't ...............stuff just easier without it .......FOR ME.........the scene editor does seem quite cool though :D and then there is the odd materialshader issue that have to see through jmp's eyes so it gets used alot...just not fully
@mcbeth said:
that to me is a plus especially since "broken" code could be completely unrelated too something else I'm doing at the moment............really why should my entire testing environment not work because a non critical (in that moment) piece of code has red Xs , I mean I've been able to work while svn was in a minor state of 'flux" due to this so I dont mind it at all other than that its just familiarity I would never ask that jmp be change to suit me even if I could which I can't ...............stuff just easier without it .......FOR ME.........the scene editor does seem quite cool though :D and then there is the odd materialshader issue that have to see through jmp's eyes so it gets used alot...just not fully

You can just right-click and run any main class in a Project and NetBeans will do the same, just run whatever was last working and compiled.. But seriously, don't try to convince me of the "advantages" of coding like that ^^ One "clean" and whatever worked before might break because you just cleaned out the last compiled version of the java file after you coded in the bugs.. And theres no way to trace back what combination actually worked.. I think I know why theres more people complaining about not getting stuff to work in Eclipse than in NetBeans :P
@normen said:
You can just right-click and run any main class in a Project and NetBeans will do the same, just run whatever was last working and compiled.. But seriously, don't try to convince me of the "advantages" of coding like that ^^ One "clean" and whatever worked before might break because you just cleaned out the last compiled version of the java file after you coded in the bugs.. And theres no way to trace back what combination actually worked.. I think I know why theres more people complaining about not getting stuff to work in Eclipse than in NetBeans :P


I just sayin do whatever makes u comfortable....like boxers vs briefs...... the debate is kinda useless
@mcbeth said:
I just sayin do whatever makes u comfortable....like boxers vs briefs...... the debate is kinda useless

No it wasn't, now I know that I just have to ask Eclipse users to clean and build their project once to keep them busy ;P
@normen said:
No it wasn't, now I know that I just have to ask Eclipse users to clean and build their project once to keep them busy ;P


:o :x :cry: :roll: ;)

Actually eclipse works fine with jme, two possible ways possible



Simple solution

→ svn jme3 run commandline ant and use the resulting jars in eclipse



Complex solution

→ Add all folders as source folders (either native bullet or jbullet only and android can be left out for desktop)

→ The testdata and the core data as source folders is completly the right way in eclipse, since then the stuff is in the classpath and the assetmanager can find it.

→ Use project in other prjects build path. Also you might want to set all needed librarys to export so that projects using jme has thema viable without further configuration. (Like the lwjgl ones if you ever need a lwjgl class eg. Cursor)

1 Like