Can I have some people test this please?

I am putting WebStart versions of all the samples in the Starter.pdf on my own website for my own archiving purposes (and it’s good practice). I was wondering if I could have a few people test each app (there is only 3 so far). You’ll need java 1.4+ and I only have libs for Windows right now. I will add the other libs later.

Let me know if they work ok for you or not. I have had mixed results.

http://www.gthought.com/jme/launcher.html

Thanks.

I seem to have some oddities while trying to run it. The webstart came up, downloaded the jars (very slowly, having network issues), started and nothing happened.

Clicked the link again, webstart determined no files needed to be downloaded (it showed your custom banner), then nothing happened.

Update:

the mouse pick worked, the other two did not.

All ran fine for me at this time of posting. The model of the cup was garishly lit… I’m wondering if your normals are calculating correctly.

"renanse" wrote:
All ran fine for me at this time of posting. The model of the cup was garishly lit... I'm wondering if your normals are calculating correctly.

Thanks for testing. Who knows about the normals. I just needed to find an obj file to load and that was the first one I found. Not too worried abut what it looks like at the moment. The success is that I loaded it. :)
"mojomonk" wrote:
I seem to have some oddities while trying to run it. The webstart came up, downloaded the jars (very slowly, having network issues), started and nothing happened.

Clicked the link again, webstart determined no files needed to be downloaded (it showed your custom banner), then nothing happened.

Interesting. I know that the HelloModelLoading takes a while to load. The window opens but then it takes a good 30 seconds if not a bit more for the model to actually load and display. This happens whether it is in WebStart or not and I am sure has to do with the conversion process.

Did the Windows open at all for the other 2 besides HelloMousePick? Or did you just get nothing?

The strange thing is that sometimes I get an error that it could not load a resource. Usually the jmetest.jar file. I have no idea why this is. I am going to put the files on a different server and see if that makes a difference. And it’s not always on the same jnlp that I get that error. But if it loads once, then all the others are fine, which would be normal because they all use the same jar file. :?

I put them on a different server and the same thing happens. Here is the exception I am getting:

Exception: java.io.IOException: Stream closed. : LaunchDesc: null ]

It appears that the download of the jar file stops then gets cut off. If the stream is closing it would make sense. I wonder if this is an issue with my servers? Or rather the hosting company I use anyway.

Could those that have tried this also please let me know what version of the JDK/JRE you are using and what version of windows? After googling a bit, it would appear this might be an issue with WebStart that ships with Java 1.5.

Thanks.

Gregg

Looks like this is a known bug for java 1.5 beta. It is supposed to be fixed in RC so I am going to install RC and give it a shot. Here are the links about the issue…

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5057141

http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=5067294

Gregg

I think that we should have them WebStarted on JME’s web page.

"Badmi" wrote:
I think that we should have them WebStarted on JME's web page.

Oh yeah, definately. I hope you don't think I was trying to have the "official Starter.pdf samples" or something. Like I said, I was doing this solely for my benefit but just wanted some outside testing to make sure I had everything setup correctly. :) I already assumed you guys had them somewhere, in fact.

Everything is included in the jars that we currently use in the webstart demos, it’s just a matter of what Mojo wants to link to. shrug In fact, we could even add links to them in the starter guide without linking to them in the demos section.

btw, per your jvm question, I’m using 1.4.2_05 so yeah, I’m sure you’re right.

For me everything worked fine.

by the way I’m using Java 5.0 RC