Can jme make a 2d platformer?

I’ve been looking around for engines or libraries that can make a 2d platform game. I have seen 3d engines making 2d games using sprites (for example unity) but I have not found one to fit my needs. The reason I want to make a 2d game using a 3d engine is light. When i mean 2d game with sprites I mean just the player and npcs. Platforms can be 3d and the camera is fixed onto the player. The reason I want to use light in 3d spaces is to make some epic scenes. For example in a dark forest I want to make a sun creep over a hill in the background and be able to slowly light up the place. Now if this is possible to do that in here please tell me, but that is why I want to use a 3d engine to make a 2d platformer.

Hi @masterjohn74,

You can use jm3 to do a game like this and set up the camera to move along the X axis only. I think it will be easer doing all in 3d and let that the camera move only in one axis.

I think Rise of Mutants might be the sort of game @masterjohn74 is referring, perhaps without the character moving towards and away from the camera.

but you still want it to be platform + sprite characters?

all you want to make is possible to make in JME.

- use character as sprite

http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/contribution-depot-jme3/forum/topic/spritelibrary-efficient-render-of-sprites/

- set axis only to x,y (z always 0)

• change camera frustrum/etc(or not, you decide how it should look like)
  • move camera along x coord
  • add nice shaders, for example cartoon filter if you need cartoon game.
  • make a game :wink:

Yes this is absollutely possible, I have made such things. If you want to make something like the already mentioned Rise of Mutants, just go the usual way, but trick the camera. Otherwise, if you want a full 2D like in the classical Super Mario, then just stick with 2D sprites and the guiNode, which automatically helps you to deal with things in 2D, with coordinate system that you would expect (the per-pixel screen coods instead of abstract 3D coords), but starting in the lower-left corner instead of the top-left. I think that you will easily and with pleasure create your 2D game with the power that jME3 has.

then just stick with 2D sprites and the guiNode

mixing GUI with game elements is wrong.

he should make rootNode using same viewPort(camera frustum perspective - to be more precise) configuration as guiNode use, so he can use guiNode separately for GUI elements.
then even light from game will not affect gui.
2 Likes
@oxplay2 said:
mixing GUI with game elements is wrong.

he should make rootNode using same viewPort configuration as guiNode use, so he can use guiNode separately for GUI elements.
then even light from game will not affect gui.

Agreed!
1 Like

thank you guys for all the quick responses

@oxplay2 said:
but you still want it to be platform + sprite characters?

all you want to make is possible to make in JME.

- use character as sprite
http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/groups/contribution-depot-jme3/forum/topic/spritelibrary-efficient-render-of-sprites/
- set axis only to x,y (z always 0)
- change camera frustrum/etc(or not, you decide how it should look like)
- move camera along x coord
- add nice shaders, for example cartoon filter if you need cartoon game.
- make a game ;)

I will look into it more thank you!
1 Like

yeh its possible, my first jME game was a 2D perspective flying game, with added jME 3D awesomeness

1 Like

Hi, @masterjohn74

Can you tell me about your results? Did you create a demo or something which you can show?
It’s very interesting for me now… :roll: