Can't run any test

Hi! I've been having this issue for a couple of days now: I've run the run_jME.sh file (I've Ubuntu) and tried several of the tests on the TestChooser but was unable to make them work. I don't know why, but all (or at least 20) of 'em crash.

I've combined different resolutions, depths, LWJGL or JOGL and nothing seems to work. Is it because of my graphic card? I have a laptop with an Intel 4500M card.

I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

Geez, thanks Henri! I'll keep tweaking a little bit and see if I manage to make it work. I let you know my progress. Thanks again!

OK, one more suggestion - try adding an empty file called -

game-defaults.properties

to the jme.jar file at the root level in the jar file. (or if there is already a file with this name there - delete it)

Pm me then if you need the workspace. Well I actually think that it would be great if beginners would have the option to download JME's eclipse workspace. I don't understand why such option isnt in downloads section. It took me like hours to check out JME project from svn since I hadn't used svn before. Good that there was the text tutorial and video. Though it was educational I don't know if everybody has to go through this trouble downloading a subversive addon, installing it, checking out the jme, jme physics 2, building it, adding the native libaries. And then each newcomer has to troubleshoot and make many threads in forums if something went wrong.

Is it supposed to be like a trial test or something by not making the "getting JME up and running" too easily. So only the one's worthy will be able to use JMonkeyEngines power :). So my offer is that I can .zip 2 eclipse workspaces like linux and windows 32-bit and let somebody put them to the downloads section. But who do I need to contact? If I'm allowed I would also leave JGN in that workspace :).

Oh, ok now I see I'm just getting a bit too far ahead. Your problem actually was that you couldnt get the Test working from compiled jme jar. Yeah it's a good idea to try the jar first to see if JME works on your computer. I did the same (only couple of tests didnt work), but on windows though then I just followed the tutorial, checked out jme source and copied the workspace to my linux machine also.

@JOC:

Added the file (by root level you meant just dropping the file in the .jar, didn't you?) but that didn't work. I just realized that I didn't attached the "native library location". After doing so, I could AT LEAST get to the "Select Display Settings" screen. But when I try to run it (with LWJGL, because JOGL won't work apparently due to the absence of gluegen-rt), I get this message (TestSimpleGame):

28/07/2009 11:28:03 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

INFO: Application started.

28/07/2009 11:28:03 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings <init>

INFO: PropertiesGameSettings created

28/07/2009 11:28:03 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings load

INFO: Read properties

(<unknown>:13591): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type GtkButton to a GtkComboBoxEntry (need an instance of GtkEntry or of a subclass)

(<unknown>:13591): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_realize: assertion GTK_WIDGET_ANCHORED (widget) || GTK_IS_INVISIBLE (widget)&#039; failed<br /> <br /> (&lt;unknown&gt;:13591): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_paint_box: assertion style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

//several identical messages

(<unknown>:13591): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_paint_box: assertion `style->depth == gdk_drawable_get_depth (window)' failed

28/07/2009 11:28:10 PM com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings save

INFO: Saved properties

28/07/2009 11:28:10 PM com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame initSystem

INFO: jME version 2.0 dev build 2

28/07/2009 11:28:10 PM com.jme.input.joystick.DummyJoystickInput <init>

INFO: Joystick support is disabled

28/07/2009 11:28:10 PM class jmetest.base.TestSimpleGame start()

GRAVE: Exception in game loop

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no gluegen-rt in java.library.path

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1709)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1030)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibLoader.loadLibraryInternal(NativeLibLoader.java:102)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibLoader.access$000(NativeLibLoader.java:51)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibLoader$1.run(NativeLibLoader.java:70)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibLoader.loadGlueGenRT(NativeLibLoader.java:68)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibrary.ensureNativeLibLoaded(NativeLibrary.java:399)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibrary.open(NativeLibrary.java:163)

at com.sun.gluegen.runtime.NativeLibrary.open(NativeLibrary.java:129)

at com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.DRIHack.begin(DRIHack.java:109)

at com.sun.opengl.impl.x11.X11GLDrawableFactory.<clinit>(X11GLDrawableFactory.java:99)

at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)

at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:169)

at javax.media.opengl.GLDrawableFactory.getFactory(GLDrawableFactory.java:111)

at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.chooseGraphicsConfiguration(GLCanvas.java:520)

at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.<init>(GLCanvas.java:131)

at javax.media.opengl.GLCanvas.<init>(GLCanvas.java:90)

at com.jmex.awt.jogl.JOGLAWTCanvas.<init>(JOGLAWTCanvas.java:92)

at com.jme.system.jogl.JOGLDisplaySystem.createGLCanvas(JOGLDisplaySystem.java:364)

at com.jme.system.jogl.JOGLDisplaySystem.createWindow(JOGLDisplaySystem.java:144)

at com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame.initSystem(BaseSimpleGame.java:380)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:70)

at jmetest.base.TestSimpleGame.main(TestSimpleGame.java:50)

28/07/2009 11:28:10 PM com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame cleanup

INFO: Cleaning up resources.

28/07/2009 11:28:10 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

INFO: Application ending.

[EDIT]

Made a project in Eclipse to see what was the problem. On running HelloKeyFrameTest

28/07/2009 03:02:29 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

28/07/2009 03:02:29 PM class jmetest.TutorialGuide.HelloKeyframes start()

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme.system.AbstractGameSettings.assignDefaults(AbstractGameSettings.java:168)

at com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings.<init>(PropertiesGameSettings.java:100)

at com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings.<init>(PropertiesGameSettings.java:78)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame$BaseGameSettings.<init>(BaseGame.java:199)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.getNewSettings(BaseGame.java:175)

at com.jme.app.AbstractGame.getAttributes(AbstractGame.java:205)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:67)

at jmetest.TutorialGuide.HelloKeyframes.main(HelloKeyframes.java:61)

28/07/2009 03:02:29 PM com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame cleanup

28/07/2009 03:02:29 PM com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem <init>

INFO: LWJGL Display System created.

28/07/2009 03:02:29 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

Which variable should I instance? Why NullPointerException?

I don't really know, but It could be because of your graphic card or its drivers. I never got grahpic drivers properly installed to my laptops Geforce 9600M GT when I tried out Kubuntu and Ubuntu.

The error you got is because it couldn't load the properties file, which is strange.

Can you try to refresh your workspace and try a few other Tests, and see that kind of error messages you get ?

167        if (propFileName != null)
168            istream = AbstractGameSettings.class.getClassLoader().
169                   getResourceAsStream(propFileName);

Refreshed the workspace,and what I got with flagrush, water and TestAxisRod. More or less the same message (TestAxisRod one):

28/07/2009 05:11:49 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

28/07/2009 05:11:49 PM class jmetest.renderer.TestAxisRods start()

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.jme.system.AbstractGameSettings.assignDefaults(AbstractGameSettings.java:168)

at com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings.<init>(PropertiesGameSettings.java:100)

at com.jme.system.PropertiesGameSettings.<init>(PropertiesGameSettings.java:78)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame$BaseGameSettings.<init>(BaseGame.java:199)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.getNewSettings(BaseGame.java:175)

at com.jme.app.AbstractGame.getAttributes(AbstractGame.java:205)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:67)

at jmetest.renderer.TestAxisRods.main(TestAxisRods.java:54)

28/07/2009 05:11:49 PM com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame cleanup

28/07/2009 05:11:49 PM com.jme.system.lwjgl.LWJGLDisplaySystem <init>

INFO: LWJGL Display System created.

28/07/2009 05:11:49 PM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

Just in case I messed up when trying to use jME in eclipse, what I did was:

Create a new project and then: Build Path->Add Libraries->User Libraries and created a new one (called jME) with jME.jar, gluegen.jar, jorbis.jar, lwjgl.jar, etc. added. Is it ok?

This is just a wild shot, but maybe worth a try… (and wont take long :D)

as you are using the jme.jar, and are on linux, maybe its to do with permissions on the jar file? Do you have read/write/execute permissions for it?

No JOC, I've changed permissions in all the .jar's, but didn't worked too (tried both, running under eclipse and run_jme.sh file). Thanks anyway to you and to Core-Dump for helping.

What if I send you my linux eclipse workspace? I think it would eliminate all the eclipse and jme related errors since its working fine on my Kubuntu. Just let me know if you still havent gotten it to work and I'll upload the workspace somewhere for you to download.

"[…](with LWJGL, because JOGL won't work apparently due to the absence of gluegen-rt)[…]" which is odd, because the gluegen-rt.jar is attached to the library.

I'm seriously thinking about downloading from CVS, guess that will be less of a hassle.

What do you think?

better just follow the two video tutorials, then your up and running quickly :slight_smile:

http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/wiki/doku.php?id=video_tutorial_-_setting_up_eclipse_to_build_jme_2

Well, after seeeeveral times, I finally got to download jme from the repos (following the videos :D). However, when trying to run the test, again, I got this message (different, this time about lwjgl)

org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid enum (1280)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:54)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.swapBuffers(Display.java:640)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:660)

at com.jme.renderer.lwjgl.LWJGLRenderer.displayBackBuffer(LWJGLRenderer.java:532)

at com.jme.app.BaseGame.start(BaseGame.java:90)

at jmetest.effects.TestLensFlare.main(TestLensFlare.java:65)

30/07/2009 01:21:52 AM com.jme.app.BaseSimpleGame cleanup

30/07/2009 01:21:52 AM com.jme.app.BaseGame start

The native libraries are correctly set up, so, don't know what's going on. I've tried another lwjgl engine (jpct) and did some test and could render without much hassle. Any ideas? BTW I really appreciate the time all of you took to answer me.

can you try the lwjgl demos ?

http://www.lwjgl.org/demos.php

Actually, I can, except for the PbufferTest (buffers? hmmm?) which I don't know what it is supposed to do (it just download files and then nothing). Posted this error in lwjgl forums and told me the error was likely in jME. I've searched in other threads, but couldn't get anything clear: some of them just put a throw in one of the methods (that thread dated to 2006 give it or take), others said it was something with the video card -some of them just had to update the drivers-.

Anyway, I'm a little fed up. That's hardly jME's fault, but I guess I'll just have to deal with the fact that my GMA 4500M is a crappy video card (I can't even do some cartoon shading with Panda3D, go figure).

Thanks for your support!!

i wonder what jme does wrong then.

Do you get this error with all jme tests or only specific?

All of them. The only one I could ran was the Test3DFlat and BitmapFont. Not even Test3DText (though that one throws me a NullPointerException).