Compass + Slider HUD

Hmm, I know setting the pop up menus to heavyweight works perfectly when you're using a canvas embedded in swing, but I honestly don't have much experience using JME Desktop. I'd say ideally this would be the way to go, but if you want to create your own slider component, you could use two quads, one for the background, one for the slider bit that responds to user pickings (cast a ray, find intersections, etc) and constraint it so it moves like a slider, and have its position mean something.

I'm sure there are other implementation ideas.

Break you texture into pieces. Each piece goes on its own quad. Leverage the scene graph and group your textured quads under parent nodes so they stay where they are supposed to in relation to each other when they are rotating. Then its as simple as using mouse picking. Update the scene, and the texture locations based on your mouse input.

Does picking Ortho work?  I was under the impression that it did not…

Thanks for the ideas. It seems that mouse picking doesn't work for HUD, so I will have to get around this feature and do this by comparing screen coordinates and mouse coordinates.

jrmartin said:

Thanks for the ideas. It seems that mouse picking doesn't work for HUD, so I will have to get around this feature and do this by comparing screen coordinates and mouse coordinates.

Hmm, I didn't know that (good to know too heh)...but yeah that would be what I would do to determine if you clicked on it or not.