Continuous Terrain

There are now 4 different pepale who wrought a continues Terrain engine. It seems to be something people want. Mabey jmex should support it.

There should be a complete implementation released first… of course, combining the different effort might be a good plan.

I dont think that we would mind sharing. Actually it would be good to merge the different tries (as long as we merge the best parts of all of them) into one "official" version.

Better than having several ideas floating around.

If anybody is interested in our version he can just contact crypter or me.

Actually we do a liitle bit more than just terrain, we also defined a format for (static) models on that terrain, so its more a kind of "dynamicworld".

Todi said:

Actually we do a liitle bit more than just terrain, we also defined a format for (static) models on that terrain, so its more a kind of "dynamicworld".

That sounds interesting.

It has been suggested that all the people working on Continuous Terrain combine there work and form one code (that may go into the cvs if mojo wants)

see http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/jmeforum/index.php?topic=3073.0

Why do you place a link to this topic… in this topic? :smiley:

Ah, that's an infinite loop … and I already thought I have a deja-vue … :wink:

Man, if there hadn't been a hiccup in the internet I would have been stuck in that loop forever…  :-o

I was trying to post that on another theread, something must of gone wrong.

Problem between desk and chair? :-p

darkfrog

lol @ darkfrog

i think the current jme support for terrain isn't quite good, so a joint effort to improve this aspect would be more than great. it would be awesome!  :smiley:

my opinion is that there shouldn't be only a single terrain LOD algorithm supported/implemented because each one has its weak and good parts. depending on the application/game you develop, different LOD algorithms may be required. so simply "merging" or coosing a "best solution" is not an option imo.

but given a common base like terrain loading/unloading ( and other things i can't think of now  :slight_smile: ) a few LOD algorithms could be provided, and developers could even implement theit own or decide to switch from one to another if needed.

eh… don't take me to serious… i just tend to get excited when it's about large scale terrains  :smiley: